Can a little "break" fix a broken relationship?

How often does a little break or space apart actually benefit a relationship?

I finally confronted my boyfriend about issues in our relationship and he refused to see them as they were. We decided we'd rather take a little break rather than breaking up for good. By that we decided to limit contact and give eachother some space. What are our chances of this actually helping our relationship?

• Yes, sometimes
  • No, never, it'll end in a break up
  • Other, explain.

Most Helpful Guy

• To me it is usually a sign of trouble but it is a good idea to take a step back to think about it - I would be inclined to say it will end in B but there is a small chance it will work - Do I think it should be done, yes I would be in favour of it even though I wouldn't hold out much hope for it.

• My point is staying and arguing out would just lead to a quicker break up I feel.

• I agree, talking it out now will speed up what ever is supposed to happen.

• Thanks for MHG

What Guys Said 5

• I didn't want to pick never so I picked sometimes and it's the lower percentage like 25% than 50-50. It shows their is a clear lack of communication and that problems can't be worked through and solved in a productive manner. That hurts the relationship as it comes up again and again.

• How do I stop the cycle? He refuses to see my view point.

• Just being patient not raising your voice discuss instead of arguing. It's frustrating when you feel they don't feel your side it's ok to take a quick break if things get heated or frustration boil over but go back to it don't leave it open because it comes to a head again.

• Yes it can sometimes for some people, but more often then not if people get back together it's part of a cycle of a repeated on and off relationship.

• Break allows missing someone to set in, and it is time to reflect on how best to overcome the weakness in the relationship.

• yes! me and the misses broke up for a year, we got back together and never been better since then

• How long of a break we talkon? This is 'merica.. western women are hard to be figuring out, better stay good or you be havin lotta 'splaining to do

What Girls Said 4

• I've never understood the purpose of a "break." Either a couple wants to be together or they don't. It seems to me like going on a "break" would just be complicated and cause more issues. Either stay together and work out the problems or, if you don't think you want to be together anymore, then end the relationship. That just makes the most sense to me, personally.

• A break can be both, allow both partners to realize what they actually want out of the relationship or it can show them that they are no longer happy and that working at the problems would be pointless if they no longer saw a future. Space can either make or break a relationship, in my experience a break made us get back together but there was still unresolved issues and it got better at first but only lasted a little bit-- safe to say we broke up.

• Communication strengthens a relationship, ignoring each other causes distance between you both. Regardless of a break or not , the issues are still there, so you still have to talk things through to resolve them when you start speaking again. Having the ability to overcome problems/issues in the relationship shows the strength of the bond you have with each other.

• A break could help, but once you come back together you'll still have to go over those issues, they don't just disappear. You said he refuses to see the issues as they are, so how does he see them? Does he think everything is just fine between you two or does he see other issues between you two? And what are the main kinds of issues you brought up?

• He thinks everything is fine...

• Well if your not on the same page and he doesn't seem to be coming around its up to you whether or not to try a break, but I don't think thats going to change how he sees things in the relationship, especially if they are big issues. The communication isn't there.