Would you date someone of another religion?

and why?

• Yes
  • No
  • I will only date a person from a few "selected" religions
  • I won't date an atheist

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as my partner is kind and respectful that is all that matters. ^_^

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 25

• As long as they don't consistently pressure me into trying to convert and/or continually criticize my beliefs, I see no problem with dating someone of another religion. As of this point, I would say that I'm a non practicing person with fundamental beliefs swinging towards Christianity... So I'm pretty relaxed when it comes to religion.

That being said, I wouldn't want to date a radically religious person (I could probably deal with Christian since I at least align fundamentally with them, but that's it). Granted, I don't think they'd want to date me either if they were radically religious lol

• I voted yes, although I am an atheist. As long as the woman isn't super religious and can agree to disagree and not try to re-convert me, I think I can deal with that. I dated one woman who turned out to be extremely fundamentalist, and it turned into a complete disaster with her assaulting me. But I would prefer to date someone who is also an atheist.

• What about an atheist who was raised very Catholic? my serious boyfriends always look taken aback if we go to a funeral or wedding Because they have no idea what is going on while I'm marching to the beat. They mistake this for me being a closeted believe.

My Grandma passed last year and we had to do a long rosary which I knew all of obviously. But people who don't know Catholics don't know you can skip church for decades or attend mass in another language and not miss a beat.

I don't follow the church beliefs but I'm also not going to just stand there at my Grandma's funeral and not participate. She said a rosary every night before bed. The best I could do and think was to show her she got me to church or honor her. I'm not going to crap on my grandma's wake.

• @sjoes006 I few of my best friends are lapsed Catholics. Even many practicing Catholics are OK with my atheism, as are many Jews. The only real problems I encounter is dealing with fundamentalist, evangelical protestants. When my mother (who is a devout Southern Baptist) dies, I'll attend her funeral at her church. But that's about the only reason I'd go into a church. If I'm dating someone who wants to go to church, I'm fine with that as long as they don't demand I go with them.

• I won't let my religion dictate who I date and I sure won't let it dictate my sex life. As long as nobody is trying to assimilate and/or force their religion upon one another, I'm fine with whatever.

• As long as they respect my religion and allow me to continue to worship my gods in my ways then I do not care what she believes.

• Yes I would as it wouldn't effect anything, I would respect it and also try to learn about it as well. As I think it's only fair and would be interesting to know more about it, and would also show them that it doesn't matter to me.

• Yes, as long as they aren't like sacrificial cults or hardcore/extremist Christians or Muslims.

• yes I would :)

• I wouldn't care unless she is pushy or uses religion as a reason to be an asshole

• No. We can all sit here and pat ourselves on the back and congratulate each other for being so "open-minded" but back in real life, religion often determines our values and morals. Someone with a different faith will have different values, this will only create conflict.

I'm saving myself trouble and only go after women who are Christians, its no guarantee but its still mu best shot.

• I have no religion and would prefer they didn't either.

• Would it freak you out if they had ruminants of a religion? It freak most guys I date out. I'm an atheist but if a go to a wedding or a funeral I know how to do the dance. It is programmed into me without even a thought. Raised Catholic though I haven't gone to church in over a decade other than for a family thing but the dance doesn't change. I can even follow the traditions in other languages. Some guys mistake this for me being a closet believer.

• @sjoes006 I got dragged to church too as a kid, and had to go through the motions to satisfy relatives. That wouldn't freak me out, no.

Also, ruminants: http://www.johnes.org/gif/p1animals.jpg

• yes i will as long as she isn't an athiest

• No there is no point in that we aren't Equally Yoked and what about the kids as well?

• I'd date a religious woman. Since I don't want kids anymore, I *might* even marry one.

• Religious women have kids a lot I know because all the on my church bus we used to have 4 ladies workers and now we have one because 1 of them is haveing a baby, 1 of them has 3 babys in a row 1. is pregnate now

• @Spermdumster666 Don't want.

• There are sperm banks that you can get fresh young jizz for you to have a baby

• Since I personally don't follow any religion I think I wouldn't have much choice...

• Yes. I would. It's not an issue unless the other person is a bigot.
    Come to think of it, I wouldn't even date a bigot with the same beliefs as me, anyway.

• I wouldn't, no. Eventually it creates conflict, especially if both of you are pretty convicted about each other's beliefs.

• Only if she was muslim , Christian or Jewish

• I'd like to date only Catholics, but I'd be fine with those of other Christian denominations.

• I agree with you there. A different or lack of religion will eventually cause a rift to form in a relationship in most cases.

• Coz religion is temporary but humanity is permenant and morover i believe god and i follow my own religion like you all guys must do but dont blame others

• Yes, as long as they don't have any crazy ideas about how we should behave in the relationship.

• No I wouldn't.

• I will want to marry a gamer loving star wars fan that also christan so a girl version of me

• I am an atheist, as long as she was not pushing me to change I wouldn't care at all :)

• Depends on the religion, so I voted C.

• I'll only date an athiest

What Girls Said 34

• I answered yes though for me the question is somewhat moot. I'm a 'lapsed Catholic' meaning I'm an atheist that was raised very firmly in the Roman Catholic Church.

I could date a Catholic, an atheist, a proddy,
    Muslim or whatever. It just depends on their overall philosophy on life. I couldn't date anyone that was hardcore one way or the other.

Non-practicing Jews and Muslims most closely understand my struggle with leaving the cultures of our families behind. Protestants sometimes think it is really odd, the relationship I have with Catholicism.

My father was raised outside of Derry during The Troubles. My mother's side of the family also has an unfortunate relationship with the British. I love British people and actually could have held citizenship but I went with Irish citizenship instead.

It's still a touchy subject. It's very touchy. But for me it is only touchy for cultural and recent past reasons not because of some religious creed. I realize the divide religion causes is destructive and unhealthy as it creates an us v them dichotomy when we should all be coming together.

When I was a practicing Catholic and flying to Heathrow on BA during Lent I'd forgotten it was a Friday we were flying on, in the U. S. They have fish options always during Lent for Fridays. I told the flight attendant oh I can't eat that when she asked for my meal preference. She then scolded me a little saying vegetarians need to indicate so at booking. I told her oh I'm sorry I just didn't think to realize the flight was during Lent when I booked it months ago but that I could be fine without a main course since they were serving is tons of food and bread.

She just immediately got completely embarrassed realizing I was Cathoic and it was a weird religious thing. To which I felt so apologetic for putting her in a bad spot. She was right and I was wrong. I was just thinking out loud and didn't need the food.

Religions put up walls that I don't think should be there. I guess that's my point.

• Yeah I would

• No. There are 2 religions I do not like: Judaism and Islam.
    I would be weary of anyone in any black arts as well.

• While I would greatly prefer to date someone of my own religion and am lucky enough to presently be doing so, I wouldn't be opposed to dating someone of another religion, of course with the exception of satanism or something wild like that, so long as they respected the fact that I have different beliefs and did not try to push them on me, and also did not try to interfere with my prayer time or religion in general.

• Yes. It's not a big deal for me. I understand why some people might, but I don't mind. I believe in God, but I would date an atheist.

• I answered no. I'm a atheist and I wouldn't be on the same page as someone who believe. I could have been able to deal with someone who doesn't practise but that's about it.
    My boyfriend is an atheist as well, we're on the same page

• i don't care about his religion unless he's trying to a ring on it

• Christians only. No Jews and no muslims. If they convert yes.
    No sexier than a christian man who has faith.

• I'm an agnostic I was born Jewish but my way of life was pretty secular. I'm still proud of my heritage and still celebrate a few holidays. I'm not going to pretend religion won't affect the relationship because it influences the very way of life for a lot of people but I would still give it a shot.

• So long as they accept me and don't shove their religion down my throat/force me to participate, that's fine.

• date yeh. marry prob not cuz of family.
    no one hard core tho, including no hard core atheists. i strongly dislike arguments and disrespect about faith or lack thereof

• I'm Catholic and my faith is very important to me. I'll date anyone who believes in a judeo-Christian God and is Christian but I want a catholic wedding and for my kids to go to catholic school like I did so their flreligion does matter to me

• I can only date Atheists.

• Why not, I'm Catholic but I believe in other religions to. I feel it's wrong to judge people because of there religions

• As someone who doesn't identify to any religion, I would prefer if my SO didn't either. I'm just afraid it would bring up complications in the relationship.

• I'm a Christian and would date men who believe in GOD so no Atheist for me sorry.

• No thanks.

• I only date guys from another religion.

• if they are religious hell no

• No because that would make things hard.

• Yes & I have in the past.

• Nope its actually a sin

• I couldn't date an atheist myself, going off the options there.

• Yes I would. Everyone should have their own share of love. And I guess if the like is mutual, then why should we stop because of the religion aspects? Though I think converting religions are something that needs to be seriously pondered about.

• I wouldn't date anyone religious.

• As long as they aren't going to be disrespectful towards my religion and accept that it's something that's important to me, then I don't see any problem with it.

• Christain would be top

• I'm an atheist so I can't vote. Nothing applies to me.

• I'd definitely date someone of another religion, not so sure about marriage though..

• I would say that if you are a person who is serious/somewhat devout to your religion, you would do best to stick to partners who share your religion. Think about how difficult it may be to raise kids or to integrate that person into your family (especially if they are also religious). If you are mildly religious/spiritual, I don't think it matters as much. You won't be worried about raising your kids in or not in religion. It doesn't have substantial meaning to you, so why would it for your family?

• More from Girls
    4