Relationship PTSD? True or Not?

I wonder if there is such thing as PTSD for dating. I mean I have these awful flashbacks to what other dudes did and then when the new guy does something similar even if it isn't really similar I freak out and run or do something stupid. Do I need help :-(

I'm so sad...

some people are telling me it IS PTSD and others say no. Maybe I will just ask a therapist.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe it's just more of a fear that you have. I kinda had the same thing going into my current relationship from a very abusive one with my ex. I was quite stand off ish at first but I really like my boyfriend so I just stuck through it and got over my fear. Every now and and then he will say something that will make me think about my ex and I get a little anxious but he knows when I'm anxious so he knows not to pester me and to just try calm me down.

Maybe if you just explain to the person that you're dating about this and they might be more understanding and might even fight for you.

• Thank you, that feels like exactly how I am. I did explain a little bit but I didn't mention the date rape which I think kind of triggers stuff too. So yeah I will tell him. Thank you!

• If you don't feel comfortable explaining the full extent you don't have to all you need to say is that certain things have happened in the past which can trigger some anxiety for you and when you are comfortable enough around him you can explain the whole thing. Explain to him how he can help, try tell him things not to mention. Don't be afraid if he says something you don't like just tell him you don't like what he said.

• I am scared to tell him because the last guy I said it to left after I said I was date raped. But I thought it was important in case I froze when we got together. Sometimes I would be ok and then when a trigger happened it would be unpredictable.

What Guys Said 6

• I'm so sorry those things happened to you. Yes. You need to find a therapist with experience treating victims of sexual and psychological abuse with PTSD. Then find a man with compatible kinks.

• I think I have it hahahahah... I'm really afraid of girls now... I always put myself out there because if I don't they certainly won't... And everytime it kills my self esteem and it's just like... Girls only want confidence in dudes... And they keep taking it from me Hahahaha!!! So yea I'm pretty afraid to tell girls how I feel now... You would think I would
    Get more braisin as I age but so far I've been getting more timid... And basically using my past actions as a refersnce and a reason NOT to approach or catch feelings for a
    Girl... Even if she likes me and wants me to say something to her... I can't see her intentions so I'm afraid yea.. So I don't know when I'll be dating again

• this is exactly how I feel. even if a guy likes me i can't see his intentions so i get scared. like some guys were so convincing that they liked me. but then they got what they wanted and left me. then i get scared to trust again. when it happens repeatedly then i feel insecure.

• Yea it sucks wish I could be with a girl that just wants love... Like how it should be!!! Lol

• PTSD is from seriously traumatic situations, like combat, kidnapping, violent rape, etc. Bad relationships are nowhere near enough to cause PTSD.

• date rape doesn't count? wow

• Asker-Redstang88 is really ignorant about the law, and what causes PTSD.

• Sorry to disagree with you but... Yea there's a lot more grey area than you can list here... Sir

• You just need a nice oral foot massage, some wine, and a comedy movie to get your off things that don't really matter

• there is.

• That is PTSD.

What Girls Said 1

• You need intensive therapy. That's beyond dramatic. Unless you were legitimately abused, beat up, or your ex tried to set you on fire then physically running from a flashback is a bit much.

• One of them date raped me. But then the others did stuff like let me give them blowjobs and then leave. Like they act like they like me and then get what they want and leave. So then the next one I am scared to open up to. Maybe I do need therapy. :-(

• Asker, remember though; you don't HAVE to take the medical perspcriotn

• yah, I fucked that word up and I'm too sleepy to fix it. even with autocorrect.