Meeting his parents: does and don't's?

I've never had a boyfriend before so I have no idea what to expect when meeting his parents. What should I do? What should I most certainly avoid? I'm so nervous I think I might be sick.

I also have no idea what to wear. We're going to just watch a bunch of movies after I meet them so it's casual. We also might go out and grab a bite to eat too. by the way I'm a 17yr old girl. So I want to make a good impression but also seek fun. I don't know what to wear

What Guys Said 2

• Don't talk politics or religion. Don't worry about the father - if you boyfriend likes you and you don't seem like a heroin-using slut of vapid Jersey Shore girl, you'll be fine with him. What you need to do is get on the side of the mother. Here's how you do that: You seek advice - advice on anything wifely or motherly. It may seem sexist, but she doesn't care. If you are going to marry her boy, that means she needs to feel reasonably assured that you will take good care of him. So, when you seek advice from her - like what his favorite foods are or cooking advice or want to know what he was like as a little boy - all these things are opportunities for her to tell you how to care for her son. You then become like a daughter to her and you are home free.

Beware: many parents are subtle and will ask questions about what you think about X. Try to "keep your cards close" and not mention anything too definitive. Also, do not be too opinionated.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Good luck!

• Hahaha... relax they are just people too, and they have been in your shoes so I am sure they will try to make you feel comfortable.

Let them lead the conversation and just be respectful and use your manners.

Pretty simple!

What Girls Said 1

• First of all, don't worry about it too much. They're people just like you. I know you might be worried about making a good first impression but they will be able to tell if you're trying too hard and honestly, the best thing to do in situations like these is to be as genuine as possible. Really, as corny as it sounds, you can never go wrong with just being yourself.

Second, depending on how strict his parents are and seeing how you're under 18, I would wear something a little more conservative just to be on the safe side. You don't have to cover all your skin, but no cleavage, thighs, stomach or butt and preferably no shoulders. Just until you start to get to know them better, it's always better to be a bit more modest. After that, you can start wearing more relaxed clothes. I would suggest something like a cute peasant blouse, jeans and ballet flats. Keep makeup minimal.

It's always nice to bring a gift when you're visiting someone's home for the first time, but you don't have to. Just something small would do the trick, nothing too fancy. Maybe some flowers for his mother or cookies that you baked yourself, wrapped in a pretty box. It depends on the activities you're planning to do really, but when you get there, just be polite and have good manners. Compliment their home and sense of style. If you're having dinner, offer to help set the table and wash the dishes afterwards.

If you can, ask your boyfriend what kinds of things his parents are into and use the information to your advantage at the dinner table. Ask about their interests and enthuse about how you enjoy those things too (if you do, don't lie). Don't let there be an awkward moment and no fidgeting! And make sure to smile :)

Good luck. There's no need to be nervous!