Should I give my boyfriend $200 ?

I been dating boyfriend for 3 months. He is a good guy and we are in love. We are both 24 years old. He has no job right but is looking. He is serious about a relationship with me. He wants me to give him $200 to help pay an electric bill for his house his sister is giving him. He took me to the beach for Valentine's Day plus he bought me an outfit and other gifts. His sister has been helping him whenever he needs money. Until now this is the first time he has asked me to give him money. It's nothing for me to give him $200. he has plans of owning his own business soon and is trying to get that started also while looking for a job. I'm just wondering girls would you do this for your boyfriend or what does it mean if I give him the money?

Most Helpful Guy

• God no. People take on too much responsible too soon in relationships now a days, and they get too serious too fast. Even if you had been dating him for awhile, you still shouldn't do it. You should only even consider it after a somewhat firm commitment (engaged or married) has been established.

My cousin had dated this guy for years. He bought a house without consulting her. She helped him furnish it. It turns out that he was and had been cheating on her. She is out thousands of dollars.

Most Helpful Girl

• You've only known him for 3 months and he's already asking for money.

"his sister is giving him"

"His sister has been helping him whenever he needs money."

Big red flag. How is he supposed to pay you back if he can't even handle his own affairs? He has no backup plan and sounds financially irresponsible. How on earth does he plan on starting a business, if he doesn't even have 200 bucks saved up? A business requires some kind of capital to start with and he sounds like he's in fuckloads of debt, relying on other people to bail him out.

I love my boyfriend and if he needed £200 for something, I'd happily give it. But we've been an item for 4 years and living together - I can trust him to keep his promises. You, on the other hand, are in that lovey dovey stage where you are at risk of easily being manipulated because stomach butterflies are in charge rather than common sense.

A 3 month relationship isn't worth the risk, unless you're happy to never see your money again.

• You should really listen to her.

• Im worrying about it being a pattern of giving him money. I just found out he is on a dating site with the status of being single. so i know as of now im not giving him any money. I think he talking to other women online. He said he was serious about a relationship with me when we began dating way before he asked me for money.

• Yes, you're very correct about the pattern thing, it's very likely.

He sounds shady as hell, so I wouldn't have much hope for this relationship working out.

What Guys Said 13

• i think you trust him and know him to be a person who pays back his debts... and most importantly you can afford a $200 loan... then sure go for it.

but i think a loan between friends needs to be given with the understanding that it cannot be allowed to come between the friends.

• If he doesn't have money to pay his electric bill, where did he get money to take you to the beach and buy you gifts? Not saying you shouldn't, but that just seems a bit off.

• Only if you are willing to never have it returned

• And for it to become a pattern.

• I agree with him and @sjoes006. It's a really bad idea, especially this early in the relationship and with his work situation.

• @AmongTheApples yeah the work thing was part of my problem with it. If he is working minimum wage somewhere and needs money I'd be more inclined to help. I'm not stingy but his sister was helping him and from the sounds of it grew tired so now he is leaning on you.

Don't buy his daydreaming of one day owning a business when he is doing nothing about it. Most importantly it isn't that I have never been broke in my life but I would have never asked my friends or SO for money.

Years and years ago when I was struggling I did have longtime friends insist on letting them pick up the tab or help me host a garage sale. I did the same with them and now 10 years later at both of their weddings and baby showers I bought them some of the most expensive things on their registry.

But I had to learn the hard way that with boyfriends asking for money or letting you always pay is a very bad thing. If they truly liked you they wouldn't do it.

• If he doesn't have a job, then no

Why is he trying to start a business while looking for a job? He needs to get a job, then quit once his business gets off the ground

If you choose to, make sure he really needs the money and will pay you back

• 'It's nothing for me to give him $200...'

if this is the case why are you torn over it?

• I don't know your boyfriend. Maybe he's good for it, but I don't blame you if you don't give it to him.

• No. You aren't married so don't give him a dime. Tell him to get a job.

• If you call him boyfriend, I think $200 isn't that big of a deal.

• Wow $200 for electricity? Is this normal price in the US?

• Yeah if you have a house with electric appliances. I have gas appliances so my bill is much lower but if course I pay for gas, too.

• Awww. Thanks. I do have a beach about an hour from me, but it's a bit cold right now. Enjoy the sun!

• i feel you should not give him

• first he takes help from sister then asking you. He can borrow from some of his other friends during need. And by doing this he need to commit. So that's was the reason of my option. I feel he comes in comfort zone by taking help from emotional shoulders.

• Do you believe in this guy?

If so, why not do it? You'll reap the rewards too.

• Wtf man
    He wants your help
    Help him that's so simple
    Financial help is also considered as help it doesn't mean he's using you or something like that
    Their is no need to think that much

• dats my player. make the bitches pay man!

What Girls Said 8

• You said the $200 is essentially nothing, to you.
    If that's true, then, if I was in yr shoes, I'd just give it to him, and not worry about "being paid back" or any other sort of even-the-score kind of deal.

I mean, the way I see relationships is that each person is willing to help out the other, if and when the other needs help.
    Life doesn't have a scoreboard, and life doesn't have credits and debits, so, I see little point in considering it as a debt to be repaid -- unless that's a particular point of pride for HIM.

Worst case scenario, if this turns out to be step #1 in a pattern of using you for yr financial support, that shouldn't take too long to figure out.
    If that kind of pattern emerges, then, call the $200 a sunk cost, and head for the hills.

• Agree 100%.

• Ahh well, yeah, that changes things. Sad face, but, at least yr doing a good job of reconnaissance lol

• I think you really need to think about why you are second guessing giving him the money. Obviously if it's not a problem for you to give away $200 then it's not that bad. But why are you hesitating? Is there something about your relationship with him that is making you doubt?

I'm giving you the same advice I have given many people on here regarding relationships and money. If you want to give him the money, fine. But don't give it with the expectation that you will ever see that money again. If you are okay with that thought, then give the money. However, if you are not okay with it, then do not give it.

Also, as some other's have said, this could become a pattern. Maybe he is asking for the money from you to see if you would actually do it. His sister seems to help him currently, so why is she not helping him now. And she's giving him a house? It just seems kind of odd to me that she would give him the house, yet leave him with the $200 hydro bill when she knows he has no job and no money and she is able to help him so far.

2 months isn't very long in a relationship. And money always causes problems, in my experience. I think you really need to sit down and think about whether you are going to be okay with the situation.

• Sure, you should give it to him if you really want to but don't make it a habit.
    There's really a fine line between someone who genuinely asks for help, and then someone who sees that you say yes the first time, and then starts to make a pattern out of it.
    Just be careful, is all I am saying!

• Is this a loan or you just giving it to him without intentions of him ever paying it back?
      If you plan for him to pay it back, I advise that you write it down on paper and have him sign it.
      Do things the legal way.
      I've seen money tear many relationships a part.

• It depends on the guy! Ya know. If he has a job and isn't getting paid until next week than I understand!

• If I knew he was legitimately working hard, I would give him the money, but under the circumstance that when he was on his feet he pay it back.

• The answer is always no. If you offered that's one thing but it is questionable that he asked.

• Well it's totally up to you. If $200 is really nothing to you financially, then do it but be sure it's a gift and that you don't hold it over him. Is the house one that you are going to live in with him? Who gets a house as a gift? LOL.

• No way