Is there even any point in online dating?

So, a lot of dating is done online nowadays, and a lot of people don't really have the courage to ask out girls/guys.

I've noticed pretty much all girls of all types get some form of attention on dating apps/sites. The somewhat attractive girls get so much attention.

A girl replied to me today on Tinder and said she has 400 matches. I have about 30.

Girls get so much attention online so the chances a guy can properly progress with her is low.

So I've decided to drop online dating and try to find the courage to ask out girls in person.

Agree with me lads?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not a guy... I hope my input still is okayyy for this question LOL

But I think it's great to ask out a girl in person, do things the old fashioned way. I think it's really sweet and I'd prefer a guy to ask me out in person rather than online.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I'm with you, I'm done with online dating because in the end it fucks you over. I need to start getting back into the world these days.

What Girls Said 14

• Of course girls get more attention on tinder than guys but that's because over half the guys on tinder are so damn desperate. That's why you shouldn't worry about not having a chance with the girls, as long as you try not to come off as a too desperate because it is those that we reject. Applies to real life as well.

But props to you for trying to find girls in person. I much prefer meeting guys that way as well. 😝 Online dating scares me.

• I can understand why lmao. Some guys are fucking creepy. I just start the subtle approach by bringing up their interests. :')

• I have had good experience with eharmony. Met an amazing guy and we've been dating for four months. Honestly, I didn't think I'd meet anyone online. He was the one and only guy I went out on a date with on the site. However, I do believe meeting someone and asking them out in person is best, but this gets harder to do these days. As far as women getting more attention online, that's probably true. But I never talked about how many matches I had with someone I was communicating with on eharmony. That seems kind of mean to me.

• I fail so miserably at real life, out of social awkwardness. I think online is perfectly fine, so long as it does become replaced by offline time together as soon as possible/you feel comfortable. It doesn't even matter if we have 500 contacts and 130 messages on a dating app. If you can click with someone, and you'd want to meet them, then they'll probably take priority.

• If you can find someone in real life, it's usually better than the matches online, because you get to know the person more thoroughly! You have my full support OP

• Online dating sucks sometimes. I've met a couple ex's online and made some friends too. It Can be very tedious though, one night I was overwhelmed with messages from guys and you always the ones that try extra hard to make an impression. I can imagine it being really hard to guys, but honestly I've been sent the simplest messages e. g. hey how you going? Or mentioning something on my profile and we've ended up hitting it off. All I ask is that a guy reads my profile, he doesn't have to read it work for word, I just hate being asked the basics when it's right there in black and white.

• Ahh mate. I meant he doesn't have to quote it word for word **

• AMEEEEEEN! GO FOR IT, DUDE!

I'll stick to online shit, tho, guys around me are soooooooo stupid.

And girls friendzone me, sooo...

• yeah I dunno I never tired tinder. It doesn't seem to work unless u want sex.

• yeh give it a shot bro. im sure online dating can be great too but yes males are at a disadvantage and there's a whole nother level of superficial u gotta deal with cuz uve gotta judge someone without physically seein them. see how asking girls out in real life works out for u!

• Yasss forget online dating and approach in RL. You'll have a one up because you can quickly arrange a date or get her number.

I realized that I'm not approached much in RL just stared at but if I initiate contact then the guy usually asks for my number. Online guys are so scardy cat and it's annoying that they don't talk to me in class instead wanna send a request

• No not really. A lot o f freaks out there. Most Americans meet this way and its probably why divorce is so high and people marry so late because the grass is always greener on the other side.

• Yeah excactoy what i did to ask my crush out. My best friend was gonna ask him out and I was telling her no, so he ended up coming over and asked what we were talking about, I told him I have a crush on him and said I wanted to a ask him out, he said yes

• Yes it's true girls have more options, but if you don't try at all how are you gonna get the girl?

• Now the modern society is the technology society
    We depend on it on everything not like before

• It's true, when I tried online dating I was overwhelmed. Not on TInder, but another site. I got over 100 messages a night and no way could I reply to all of them.

I'd like to think there is a point. I'm an introvert that works from home, and moved to a new area of the country. I don't know any one, I do not go to pubs or clubs. I have tried going out to other places to meet people, but to no avail. So, online dating it is.

Taking a break, but I might try it again if I am getting lonely. I want to date just one guy that is a good match. I know I might have to date a few to find one, but online might be the best option for me. It's not for everyone, though.

What Guys Said 24

• In online dating you have the chance of finding someone you'd never found offline , that's why I'd give it a shot nonetheless.

I have an app that's similar to Tinder and when I log in, I have 6, 8 or 10 new Match Votes. This amounts to about 30 or more "Matches" in 1 week, provided I hit "like" as well. I had about 500 "Likes" and also a bit more than 700 "Visitors" (After a couple of months)

However, not a single one I send a message to texts me back ! (I only had 4 girls asking me directly to do something with them, but they were low quality girls, not what I was looking for)

As to real life: When I was at Starbucks drinking a hot chocolate, there were 3 girls and their 1 guy friend sitting at the table opposite to me. I'd noticed that 1 girl was looking at me. After a while their 1 guy friend walked up to me and told me that the blonde girl was asking for a date. Surprised as I was, I said "yes okay, does she want my number?" And the guy went back. But before he could reach their table, the blonde girl had stood up and left ! And the other girls with her.

The guy came back to me and apologized for her running away. He was sorry.

That was very crazy. But it tells something... :/ I'm not the most confident person either and am rather shy too.

So, I definitely agree with you - go out there and meet real people

• *Most "likes" were from people who had just visited before *

• Actually most of my relationships started out as face to face relationships and I just didn't have any choice but to switch to online/long distance because they moved, and me being the person that I am know that relationships and love can come from any location, any distance face to face or online I am open to them both. But I don't agree that dating websites are the place to find a girl those places just seem to fake I mean you know why everyone is there, there's no excitement of just it happening one day, because you know exactly who's there, what they are looking for, why and so on.

• I agree man, it's kinda pointless to me now.. next time I see a girl when I'm out with my friends and I like the look of her I'll try and pull myself to together and go over to her

• Well said brother

• Thank you.

• Tinder is awful. I use sites where I have to pay - more people actually take those seriously. I'm on match and get attention on there, and girls more or less respond to my messages. I've had a lot of dates and some relationships from it. A lot of girls on there are extremely boring but you filter those ones out after a few emails

• Tinder is pointless if you are looking for something meaningful. I have almost 80 matches as of early January and only met up with 2. And the 2 that I met up with... great personalities but I didn't feel any spark whatsoever.

But Tinder can be easy if you know what you are doing :) It's easy to stand out among many desperate men!

• I can sympathize with you, but I don't agree.

I've got a profile on one of the dating sites where if so much as log on, I'll get at least a message from someone new. And I didn't tell a single lie on the profile either.

Anyway, if you find that online dating isn't working for you, then asking girls out in person is also a good skill to have. Good luck.

• I don't find people take online dating seriously at all. I've never had any success with it. I've got 2 dates from it and neither worked out. 99.9% of the time I don't even get replies from anyone.

• Online dating is like email marketing for men. you send out heaps and hope a girl answers one. I recommend it as a part of your "marketing strategy" but not the main focus. The best way to get a girl is to get social. That's it. That's why introverted men are so up against it.

• Depends upon how you present yourself. Some people don't have much of a choice living out in the middle of nowhere. A friend of mine with average looks had better responses with activity photos to help show his interests. I will admit it's gotta be tough with probably a 10:1 ratio of men to women on quite a few sites.

• Most modern people suffer from the stress of "too much good", or "too much variety".

Online dating makes options seem limitless, and changes your outlook on others. I think this is a negative development, whether you are male or female, and whether you pull a lot of dates or very few.

• Tinder is your problem, not online dating.

I met my fiancée online.

I can't imagine finding someone compatible with me by walking up to random women. That's great for someone looking for casual sex, but I wanted a relationship and marriage.

• I'm on Tinder, PoF, Hot or Not, OKCupid, Lovoo and none of these seem to work 😂

• Because they are all free sites. I found her on a paid Catholic dating site. The pay wall filters out a lot of the people who are there for an ego boost.

• Of course, more attention than men, this is a very normal phenomenon, please do not care too much. After all, everyone loves beautiful things. I used to have this experience, I in millionairemeetup. com website registered without a few people to pay attention to me, let me very depressed, but love will come to us so please do not give up anyone can meet the place of love, thank you

• I have better odds in winning Russian roulet then winning in online dating. Mind you that I play with 5/6 bullets.

• Most of the girls I've seen online aren't that good looking or there good looking and has kids. And if there hot it's a Web cam porn star trying to spam you. For me it's hard to get interested without actually talking to the person in person.

• Yes, unless you are like me and live in a place where everywhere I go seems 70% male.

• I am giving up on online dating and dating period

• Tinder is shit for real dating, it's for smashing and it's dominated by girls. A lot of girls aren't even on there to meet guys, they just want attention. I can't speak for real dating sites.

• There's no point.

its an ego boost

most of the time, the " close " matches live an hour away so it's like hard to hang out and i always get hurt or they do.

• In my younger pussy-chasing days, the internet was only a dream. Grow some balls and ask girls out in person.

• u have 30? lucky you, i can't get even one,

• Yeah man go for it...

Online dating = Shit for introverts... if u wanna admit yer introvert... go for online... but it's like admitting defeat...

• Honestly I find that if I'm somewhat genuine and bother to maybe tell a joke and flirt a little like a normal person once in a while, I do exceedingly well online.

That said, yes. Your chances are probably better outside of the online world.

• Tinder sucks if you are a guy. Online dating sucks if you are a guy. Hell even in the real world dating sucks if you are a guy. Dating/relationships/sex in general favours women. Doesn't matter how attractive a guy you are, it's always going to favour girls. 7 years of experience and no luck.

• Yeah I totally get what you mean, girls always get more attention yet they out number us guys so I don't get it, I think online sites that use a lot more information to set up a profile work better and give a better match. When asking girls out in person you never know if she will be like what your interested in, or compatible until you go out a few times

• I was wondering this too , out of curiosity I recently flipped through some profiles on a major dating site to see who was available locally , but was left disappointed , still a lot of the same girls who were on there a year ago and really not many that were interesting , like if they have been on the site that long and get all these messages from desperate single guys and still can't find anyone to date you have to wonder why?

• Exactly! I always see the same faces 'online now' what is it they're doing? They must be super picky lmao.

The ones that do reply to me don't talk to me for long. Not because I'm a bad talker, but because they probably have another 5 guys inboxing them as well.

Girls who aren't on dating apps probably don't speak to anywhere near as many guys.

• i just can't get over how little turnover this is on the site I checked , you think people use it for a little while then find someone to date and leave , you wouldn't think they'd be on it for months if not years. either there standards are rediclous or there lying about something on profile like claiming not to have kids but really have kids or such