Would you stop talking to someone because of his/her political affiliation?

The guy I'm talking to hasn't texted me back for 3 days ever since I told him that I was voting for a Republican in this presidential race, but was not decided on who yet... He of course is a liberal Democrat and even works for a Democratic senator. I'm just wondering if this made him lose interest in me all of a sudden...

Most Helpful Guy

• People who are into politics trip me out, haha. Some folks root for it like their favorite sports team, it really blows my mind that people can be that concerned with what people other than themselves are doing. But I heard a quote once that stuck to me, although I don't know who said it: "Being able to entertain ideas without accepting them is a sign of intelligence." And I think there's truth to that, you're being closed-minded if you just immediately shut down to thoughts and opinions contrary to your own. My girlfriend, who actually is very intelligent, doesn't really fall under that. If she finds out someone is a Republican, game over, she doesn't want to even know them. She just takes it as a character flaw, as if it just tells you everything you need to know about someone. She thinks it means you're automatically racist, homophobic, greedy, lacking in compassion, and that's clearly not a conclusion you can comfortably and automatically jump to, haha. If you don't Feel The Bern, she ain't feeling YOU😂 And she's not dumb by any stretch of the imagination, but she's very fiery and can become blinded by passion, so I think her wise mind checks out at those times, haha. So maybe this guy is the same, especially if he works in politics, and he just can't bring himself to go across the aisle🚫🐘 Its only 3 days though, guys can just go AWOL like that sometimes if we're busy😜

Most Helpful Girl

• Well they say that religion and politics are the top 2 things that you should never talk about with people because they have so many different views and beliefs that it can cause a lot of tension when you and another person are not even on a different page but in a completely different book! I remember being in middle school arguing with a couple of class mates about religious beliefs, things got heated enough. We didn't stop talking but there was a lot of tension in the air. I mean depending on the person and their views, some things can be accepted, but others can't. I've had discussions about politics, but I've never got into a heated debate about the matter, not like religion, but now a days I talk as little as possible about those things. So there is a good possibility he might not be talking to you because of political views. I would just feel him out and let him know that I'm willing to learn more about why he doesn't agree with my political views, and if he doesn't answer than move on and do your thing.

• We weren't arguing. I just answered his question.

• No, but I was speaking about my experience. I was basically just saying that there is a possibility that he could be ignoring your texts because of that. It can cause tension.

What Guys Said 25

• It depends on the extremity of the views and the reasons for support. My views are not particularly well represented by either party (extremely liberal on most social issues, but generally pro gun rights, and fiscally moderate) so I wouldn't write someone off purely for their party affiliation. But, if you were like, "I don't know who I'm voting for since Rick Santorum dropped out of the race and no one else accurately represents my views on gay rights," I'd be out of there pretty quickly. Likewise, I'm not as huge of a Bernie Sanders fan as most of the internet seems to be, but I wouldn't ditch someone just because they supported him. On the other hand, if they said something like, "Everyone who makes money is evil. My hero, Hugo Chavez, would deal with them the right way," I'd block that number too.

That being said, if he's working for a Democratic senator, chances are that he takes the partisanship pretty seriously, and that gap may be (foolishly) more important to him than it is to most people.

• I was talking to two of my best friends about who we would vote for. I told them I wasn't sure who I'd vote for, but I didn't want Sanders in office. Turns out that is who they were supporting. We discussed why we stood where we stood and moved on. No arguments, nothing. There's no need to cut off a relationship because of something like that.

• If that bothers him, he's immature and not dating material. He works for a senator, strike 2. Stay away from the douchy polytocians!

• No, well I don't know I mean if they were like radically hardcore then yeah but, if they kept to themselves about it and were respectful about my own voting choices then I wouldn't care so much.

I mean I talk with @consultantisback still and he's voting for a socialist democrat while I am voting for a conservative republican but we don't go at each others throats about it or anything.

• Yes, the best way to open your mind and expand your horizons is to actively avoid anyone that might have an opinion that differs from your own.
    Just stick to people that have the exact same thoughts you do, care about the same issues, and come from a similar background.

• Doesn't matter. One of my best mates and business partner is from the opposite political camp. I understand and respect why he's on the other side and he understands and respects why I'm on mine. In the end, our core values are the same and we both understand that we just want the best for our country and for humanity.

It's the bigots who blindly follow one side or the other that gets on my nerves.

• I wouldn't, no, but I'm sure others would. Some people take their political affiliations incredibly seriously.

If he's chosen to let you go over it, then oh well -- not much you can do about it.

• As long as they aren't dogmatic about their views then yes. I wouldn't date someone with the same political affiliation as me if they vehemently insulted people of other political ideologies simply because they disagreed with them.

• Yup. We don't have to agree 100%, but I wouldn't date someone with diametrically opposed political views. And even just casually, I'd never willingly spend social time with someone on the extreme right or left.

• No, unless they were like a Nazi or something.

by the way, there is a dating site for Bernie Sanders supporters to meet other BS supporters. It started as a joke but proved so popular people are using it.

• Not because of affiliation, but if they were a dogmatist, yes. "Concerned about Islamic terrorism" is one thing, "thinks all Muslims are evil and that we ought to have nuked Mecca in retaliation for 9/11" is something completely different.

• This is due to immaturity. My and he best friend stopped talking over the last election, not to day they put there political differences aside.

• If it did... that is a pretty poor excuse!

• If it makes her an idiot and/or a bigot, yes. And for the record, Republican supporters these days don't have that good of a reputation.

• depends. do you regurgitate dogshit political rhetoric that you don't actually understand?

• That's why you don't discuss politics with people.

• no that would be ridiculous

• It shouldn't, however if a guy runs from you because party affiliation, than his is not the guy for you.

• No, I'm not really freaking out over politics.

• Sorry to hear that. This has happened to me before too. I really don't care what views my girlfriend has but she needs to be tolerant of mine.

• Yes. The Way We Were Movie talks about this. Barb and Robert break up. Ones a conservative the other is a liberal. They love each other but are too different.

• I only would if they were living characterichers

• Yes.

• Possibly. Prejudice still exists.

Move on.

• I wouldn't stop talking to them because of their affiliation, but their affiliation would dictate their intelligence and I wouldn't associate with a fucktard.

• Republican's are crooked and show a lack of brain potential... I would lose interest.

• They're real statistics. Although it's pretty obvious from just observing how they act.

• More shaming tactics... how typical. Your opinion of how they act is based on your biased view.

If your "real stats" come from your republican run media... they aren't "real".

What Girls Said 9

• Honestly when you are passionate about your beliefs, it's easy to cut out people who stand against it. For example; I have some religious friends, but I had to cut a lot of them out of my life because they would constantly be conflicting with me. If there are serious core values that don't match up, it makes being friends/more difficult.

• Probably yes because he's so involved in politics, and he doesn't feel you're a good match anymore.
    However, as your everyday nerdy science student my answer is no, I wouldn't stop talking to someone because of his/her political/religious affiliation.

• we all have different views for political matters. it should never come in between a relationship. thats my thoughts

• It shouldn't. If that is the reason then that shows you what kind of person he is. Just because he has opposing views does not mean your a bad person or that your views are any less important

• Hahaha... Yes, you killed his buzz. You're better off, hon. Stay away from the crazy judgmental libs.

• No I would not.

• I never before believed that politics could destroy someone's view on other person UNTIL this presidential campaign presented itself. I have always stayed independent. Following neither Democrat or Republican parties because I truly believe that both parties have some good view points. However, during this presidential campaign I have found myself to be a die hard Republican. I do not follow Hillary or Trump. In fact, they both disgust me (though I believe Trump would be a far better leader than Hillary). And I have noticed that I have a sudden distaste to people who will be voting for either one of these people. So yes, it is possible that he lost interest in you because of it. But don't feel bad about your beliefs.

• I would never, could never, date or be attracted to a republican. We just would have nothing in common and I think it would just be a recipe for disaster. He's doing you a favor, why waste either one of your time?

• Some people would. Some say you can learn to get along with anybody as long as you agree on politics. Others say never discuss political veiws in the first place because you can end up hating somebody you liked.
    If he thought trump though... you already know that's kinda controversial right now, so if people don't agree, they could stop talking.