What does "understanding" really mean in relationships?

Im running across a lot of men who say. All they want is understanding.. What is exactly is that. A pass to cheat without judgment? I dont understand.. Please inform me.

Most Helpful Guy

• Understanding of flaws I suppose.
    Unless it's cheating. That just ain't bueno.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think a majority of understanding is to do with understanding the other persons’ emotions. I guess when you’re able to identify the persons’ emotions, you are able to respond to their needs more effectively. Sometimes it is difficult to understand that because some people don’t express their emotions openly with other people. Other times it can lead to misunderstandings/misinterpreting. Hence why communication is extremely vital in a relationship.

What Guys Said 3

• Have empathy for whatever they are going through basically. To feel like you care or are there for them.

• Understanding means maturity, open communication , solving problems by focussing on the problem itself and not on the person, to build knowledge in women nature and what affects their decisions.

• Someone who can see where their partner is coming from and make decisions based off of that. Overall taking a step back, looking at the bigger picture and notice why it means so much to that person.

What Girls Said 1

• That's not enough info to know what they mean by "understand."

I know in my relationship. I need my boyfriend to understand that I have ADHD and ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). So I have a difficult time in day to day life. So I need him to understand certain things i say and do. I don't do them on purpose and I do try my hardest to manage it the best i can. I just need him to be patient with me.