Am I a pedophile and going to hell?

So let me give you some context. When I was 16 years old my parents and I drove to the city for a local comic convention going on. I was waking around looking at stuff to buy and getting pictures with people in cool costumes.

Then I saw this girl in an amazing costume from a show I liked, she looked to be about my age. So I asked for a picture with her and she happily accepted. I later posted it on social media and when she saw the picture she messaged me and said it was nice to meet me and eventually we planned to meet up in a group of people at another convention.

That came and went and after getting to know each other better there we decided to hangout just the two of us. So we got coffee someplace a few days later.

That's where we really got to know each other better. Turned out she went to my highschool and we had a lot of similar interests. But I also got the unfortunate news. She was only 14.

Not only was she 14, it would be 9 months before she was 15 where as it would only be 4 months before I was 17. Translation, we had a 2 year 5 month age difference.

I had started growing feelings for her and after considering this for weeks I eventually decided to ask her on a date. I figured that most my friends that were girls were 16 and dating 21 year olds, so our age difference wouldn't be that weird.

I met her parents immediately and explained our situation to make sure they were okay with it and they said they were. As long as we took it slow.

So yes we've taken it slow, but 8 months later I still get comments about how I'm a pedo and going to hell. Am I?

• Yes you are.
  • No you're not.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you were a predator, you wouldn't be worried about this. You're okay. You're going about it the right way.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, a pedophile is someone who wants actual children, not teenagers who are legally underage (but so were you).

Legally you're probably sound, too, most age of consent laws have a 'Romeo and Juliet' clause to account for the fact that often in teen relationships one person will be above the age of consent and one below, provided the gap isn't too huge, there's no problem.

What Girls Said 1

• That's definitely not pedophilia, but do you mean the thing about hell literally?

• Well I'm not religious. I just mean that's what I've been told.

What Guys Said 6

• Love is a beautiful thing. Some people see that as an opportunity to ruin it. If the feelings are genuine then you guys can't help but be attracted no matter the age love is love. My situation is a 10 year age difference bro. Good luck an take it slow peace

• You seem to like this young lady for her personality rather than as a sexual object. The age difference is nothing. There are no real rules, and age difference is a very gray area. Just don't break any laws for where you live.

• Pedophilia is something else, entirely. You do what you're doing.

• The age different may seem large now but don't worry. 2 years is nothing.

• No, you are not pedophile, you are a hebephile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebephilia

• A pedophile isn't someone who makes a mistake about a girl's age by a couple of years. As long as you didn't have sex yet it's fine.

• she said she wants to wait till she's 16 (the aoc where we live) I said I wanted to wait till she was 18. I won't do anything illegal. it's not worth it.