I got a 400$ prom dress but I dont have a date. (I refuse to ask). How can I get someone to ask me?

Most Helpful Guy

• ASK. Yikes. They are as scared as you you know. Besides I bet you want someone special and if he is anywhere near as charming as you think to others, you best ask.

You don't really need to go all the way with it either. Back when I was waiting for my prom I would get quite a bit of conversations sounding more or less like: "Sooo... Are you going to the prom? Do you have a date yet? I was thinking about going...".
    I'm pretty thick when it comes to taking a hint, but that is clear enough to me.

Honestly you will have to at least let them know you're interested and whilst you can risk nothing happening and not asking (asking is better) that will mean you will have to take initiative and waltz up there and let them know you want them to ask you.

Most Helpful Girl

• If prom is still a few weeks ahead, then be patient and maybe someone will ask you. A better option is to engage in a conversation with some guy, flirt a little, and bring up the prom topic. When you talk with him about prom don't be too direct, meaning don't ask him the famous question, "will you be my prom date?". Towards the end of the conversation tell him that you don't have a prom date and that you would love to have one. If he tells you that he doesn't have a prom date as well, chances are he is going to ask you to prom. It could be any guy, either the cute guy at school or your guy friend who you're really comfortable with. Remember, flirting is key.

What Guys Said 14

• Don't be stubborn, don't count on others to do what you can do yourself. It's hard to make people ask you, sometimes it can take longer than you think and there's no formula for that. Do it yourself if you really wanna make it happen, in everything in life you should make your own luck when you have the chance, it's better this way.

• That's called being an idiot.
    ASK SOMEONE.

• hahah! lol

• So is everyone else. So get brave.

• No u r idiot.. he is right... u have to take the leap... don't fear rejection

• Ask your girlfriends to ask a boy you like, who doesn't have a date. This worked for me, almost 30 years ago.

• I hope you kept the receipt (just in case). I'd find someone you're attracted to and flirt with them until they ask.

• You go alone. You're a dumbass for spending your money and expecting someone else to do the dirty work for you. You should have sacked up and found someone before you bought a 400 dollar dress.

• I mean honestly I'm laughing right now. It's like if you bought a boat and you were waiting in it for someone to come bring you a paddle but now you're in the middle of the lake and you're still waiting. I mean come on, you have sunk costs and no leverage. In the future, don't be an idiot. If you're going to stand on stupid principles (which I don't recommend) I suggest that you don't spend lots of money in the process.

• Why do you refuse to ask?

• Im scared to get turned down

• I hear you. But many guys fear getting turned down too. It'll be such a shame if you bought the dress and don't get to wear it to prom. You're 16 years old, I doubt it's likely you'll be turned down by a lot of guys. And from your profile picture, you're a cute girl, very likely you won't be turned down.

• wait so u want a pertner so that the dress doesn't go to waste? buhahaha. thats awesome. i advise u tell that to guys. they''ll form lines... .

• Why won't you ask someone?

I got asked to prom by the girl I went with senior year

• Good luck then if you expect someone to ask you

• If you refuse to ask, I hope that dress has a return policy.

• if u so stubborn. u can take your cat with yourself.

• Welcome to the 21st century, where it's now - finally - the girls turn to approach and initiate conversations with guys.

Don't hold your fellow sister back another two centuries

• I wouldn't ever have asked a girl with a 400$ prom dress.

• Why not?

• So say I asked u (obviously Im not going to since you are on the interwebs xD) you would say no even tho Im pretty and very intelligent?

• There's a high probability, yes.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 12

• I went to my senior prom with friends. Indid not regret it. If I were to go with the guy who asked me, I know I would've had a horrible time. Kick back, relax, and dance with anyone and everyone. No expectations and you can still have a great time!!! You might be surprised who asks you to dance. :]

• Holy shit, $400? I paid £40 which is roughly $28 and I only was able to spend that much because I knew I'd wear the dress elsewhere. There's no sure way of prompting someone to ask you so unless you get the guts to ask, you might have to go on your own.

• 400$ for a prom dress? xD
    I payed barely 50 $ and had a great dress that everyone thought I payed a lot for.
    outlets are great for that xD
    anw to get a date, just put yourself out there more, flirt, go out with your guy friends etc..

• lol so you'll shell out 400$ fro a piece of cloth, but you imagine its pride keeping you from doing something logical and productive to get what you want? i think your priorities are backwards.

• Are you really that stuck up you're unable to ask someone? .. Serves you right if you do find yourself alone then.. Hope you have a really "lovely time".

• No need to be rude.

• wtf is your problem Like really, Im 16, you're 25 you dont have to be so rude. Grow up. And yea I dont wanna be called young lady cuz you're talking down on me.

• Now, now now.. Please mind your language.. I've not once used any bad language to you.. Thank You.. And I most certainly do not need to grow up.. But please do tell me just WHERE I have been rude to you.. And WHAT DO YOU WISH TO BE CALLED.. That is a civil enough question to anyone, including you.. Finally I'll have you know that any girl of your age is.. . A Young Lady.

• Flirting? Lol

Just ask, goddammit!

• Ask someone. Don't be shy. :) my friend asked someone to prom and they said yes! Just go for it and if you get turned down then oh well.

• Why would you spend that much when you dont have one?

• Stop refusing and Just ask, that's the only way it will happen

• Just ask someone.

• When I went to my school dance I had a date. Just go there and see.

• I mean I did NOT have a date, just go there and see if you can find someone.

1 private opinion(s)