What age do we really start caring about serious dating?

Everyone goes on a date or two, or even a few. But at what age do most people really start looking for someone to be in a serious relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the age is so varied and i think this can be true just by going to weddings.

1. You get some couples who get married much younger (in their mid 20's) because they were childhood sweethearts and therefore they took their dating very seriously at a much younger age.

2. Then you have people who get married in their 30's and this tends to be those who had a fun in their younger years and casually dated with no real serious commitment (although there are some who were plain unlucky in finding the one). ie they decided to take dating more seriously when they were about to hit their 30's... perhaps realising they need to settle down (or in womens case the bodyclock is ticking)

3. Something that is becoming more common now is people getting maried in their 40's. These people tend to want to enjoy their youth for aslong as they could and didn't really take dating seriously untill much later in life. They also tend to not want children so that alarm button in point 2 (ie people getting married in their 30's) never got touched.

• Wow! I had no idea about the 40's trend. But I can see that happening with people wanting to enjoy every moment in their lives

• @Transigence true say, but i still think younger men still get sucked into the whole marriage thing and a lot might be societal pressures. I think a lot of men who get divorced dont get married again which is a trend that is growing. No doubt there is a growing trend of younger men not get married for the first time and would rather co-habit with their partners.

• No problem

What Girls Said 41

• For me I always wanted a serious relationship. Didn't have a serious interest in someone until I was 14 (young, I know) and that interest prevented me from dating seriously in high school. Until I started dating that interest when I was 18.

• For me that started when I was like 15? I've always wanted a serious relationship, I didn't want to ever casually date. Plus, I don't think casual dating is really that huge a thing in England? We have relationships that are more casual than others obviously but there's no real dating process, you get asked out, decide whether you like them or not and then you're kinda... A thing. At least that's what I've gathered from mine and others' relationships. But yeah, I got in a serious relationship at 15 and am still in it 4 years later, so... Any age?

• I didn't start caring until after high school. I was 19 and was interested in this guy at work. Before that, I went out with guys, but we always hung out in groups. Never really had a relationship until I was 19, aside from one that lasted a choke weeks when I was 12...

• I've been called a serial monogamist and almost always since I was 16 had a rekationship but I guess I started getting serious about my future at like 22-23

• I was 14... I have been in the relationship for 3 years and we are moving in together this fall... I don't understand why anyone would date if they weren't looking for something serious

• Since forever for me, that's why i've been single my whole life lol

• I get that lol I'm 26 and I've only dated one person and that didn't last too long

• Yeah I always viewed relationships and Love as something serious, I don't want to multiply my experiences in an ideal scenario my first boyfriend will be my husband :)

• It's not that I'll look for a serious relationship. When I'm dating it just turns into one. Even the one time I made up my mind I was going to casually date and just see where it goes. Bam! I'm 7 months in and there is hints of marriage in the future haha. Not that I mind but I think some can only get into serious relationships.

• For me it was 2, 3 years ago, so after 30?
    I never wanted to get into a real relationship because I felt that it would prevent me from doing the things I wanted, having a career, traveling the world, etc.
    I still think the same, but I don't care as much about those things as I did before. It was before I actually fell in love with a decent guy, haha.

• I think for me would be around, mid 20's

• I think whenever your ready.

• I only got the desire to get in a relationship at all, much less a serious one, around 20/21.

• I have yet to think about serious dating and I'm 18. I feel like most girls think about it when they are around 16-20 or so and guys don't start until they are around 23-over.

• for me, it was about 16.

for most people, I'm guessing 18, 19.

• I've always taken it seriously. It was never a game to me.

• I'm only 14 at the moment, and you may consider my opinion biased, but I have always found dating a serious thing and I believe that you shouldn't date anyone unless you truly do have something with them and you're sure of it. A lot of people just date people at my age to be able to say that they had a boyfriend or their first kiss. I'm different. I never dated anyone or kissed anyone and it's because I feel as though you should only date someone if you truly feel something for them. What if the person you're dating actually does like you, and you're just playing them to be able to say you dated someone? No. I believe that when I meet the right person and the feelings are mutual and that I actually feel someone, I will date them. So I guess you can say, I'm 14 and I take dating seriously, but many my age do not, as sad as it sounds.

• maybe I'll care at 18 lol

not extremely serious tho

• Hmm... I will let you know when it happens!

• My first serious boyfriend was at 18 and I am still with him so I'd say 18.

• I think for me it was around 16

• Maybe when they want to start a family then they look for a serious relationship.

• I've always wanted a serious relationship. I don't see the point of casual dating. Seems like a waste of time to me,

• I wouldn't say there's a specific age, just whenever you are serious about/with someone and it just happens, I feel like that and im only 18

• Age 18 for me. I never dated until then and I never wanted to. I knew no one at my high school would be serious and that's what I wanted. I didn't want to date to pass time.

• i've wanted a serious relationship since i was 10 ...

• I started dating when I was 15. Though I didn't become serious about it till I was 20.

• I think after I finish college, get my degree and get a job.

• I don't think there is a certain age. I know young men in their late teens and early teens who want a serious relationships and I have met guy friend in their early 30s and late 40s who do not want anything serious

• I'll be 26 in 2 weeks and I have no desire to Date seriously yet. If someone amazing comes along that's one thing but I'm too young to settle down in my opinion.

• 40 in my opinion

• For me its rn, at 15.

• More from Girls
    11

What Guys Said 51

• I think it is a function of maturity and not age. When you no longer get a thrill from going to parties every Friday and Saturday night, when you avoid drinking too much so you won't get a hangover, when you are more excited about spending time with a girl who you already know than the idea of meeting someone new. . . then you are probably ready to be serious about dating.

• 30 something

• I started to wonder if people thought that the thirties would be serious enough because then they start to think about kids by then. But some people don't want to wait until their thirties too

• It depends on the couple

• I don't think age matter, whenever we mature we start being serious. A 18 year old can be mature and a 28 can still battle matureness so there is not point in saying an exact age. I'm 20 and never had a relationship and I'm mature enough to wait for a true person that I can marry and thats it. Some men think they want to fool around first and then marry but its just there way of comitting.

• It depends on each person. Many would want to start during college, but many others would rather wait after college.
    I personally wouldn't mind dating seriously at my current age. Though right now I just wanna be alone, as some sort of break, I think I'm starting to get tired of hookups, I don't know, maybe it's just a phase and in a month I wanna go back to the "casual" life.
    But if I find the right girl, I won't say no.

• I hoped to find my future spouse by 16. I thought it might be realistic to find her at 18, cause that's when my parents started dating. I mean, I still have 4 months, but my crush (biggest crush of my life) is gonna be going to college across the country so...

• For men, as soon as we're sexually interested -- so like 13 or so. We get raised to believe that this is what women want to, but they aren't interested in settling down until 30-35 or so.

• I cared when i was like 11, because i was emotionally mature by that age. It really depends on the person but i would say on average around 22 for males and 23 for girls... but I don't know haven't known many girls who are serious aside from the stupid tumblr teenies.

• I don't think it's based on ag but your mindset and personality. I think I'm not ever gonna have a serious relationship. My mind isn't capible of giving my everything to another human being. Being together with someone is something I do not crave or want. I need my space. I'm an introvert and realized that just recently.

All I need is my family and friends cause they know there are boundries that you can't cross as family and friends.

Or maybe I'm just scared of showing someone who I truly am. Nevertheless serious relationships are something I'm good living without.

• I never was interested in dating that wasn't serious.

Consequently, I had to wait to date.

• I'd say after 25. Most people thin they care, but pfff. yeah, right.

• 20s -30s

• 0 for me^^ thats when i will find a girl not point right now

• Well I'm 35 going on 36 and still not that serious about it.

Probably could have been a long time ago if getting married/kids wasn't such a life destroying crap shoot for the majority of men.

• As soon as I started dating, I was looking for a serious relationship, and I started dating around a month into 10th grade of High School, which is what grade I'm in, although my first girlfriend broke up with me, and I'm hoping that doesn't happen with my current girlfriend

• Well I haven't ever been on a date, and I was always shy and frigid around girls when I was younger. But now I want a relationship no-one seems to want me back. 😅
    I've tried online dating and it just doesn't work.

• Over 25 I'll say for marriage

• I think we are mostly capable of that only above 20.

• Around 16 or 17.

• Looks like most people don't really understand this question.

I'd say more like around 25 for SERIOUS dating.

• around my age, i'm turning 23 in a few months and have yet to have a serious girlfriend. around now, i find myself in deep regret about all the girls i "had" who were so right for me, but let them get away because i simply wasn't looking for anything.

• I think we'll always have regrets but in this case, if you didn't feel it with them and they did, then maybe you weren't ready. I mean imagine if you had ended up one of them and you ended up being unhappy because later down the road, they ended up being something that you didn't want in a person

• dont know, an and i never will
    never had one, never going to have one

😎 LONER FOR LIFE😏😒😎😒😏😎😒😏😎😎😏😒😎

• 18, 19? Seems like 25 around here. Around here people are just hooking up and Tindering like no other. Hell I'm 24 and I'm still doing it!

• For me it was from 15 -25 I'm over it now

• 21-22?

• I'm 21 and have no intent on being in a relationship until I meet the right person no age really applies to it really.

• I don't know what age.
    But maturing from the inside is I think what matters more

• Round about now, when a girl really likes you she won't fucking let go of you. Ye be warned. lmao

• 18

Filler

• It varies from person to person. Some people never do.

• Always pretty serious coming to relationships ultimately. :). Guarantees my relationship statuses proper. :P. I am okay still though. 😅.

• More from Guys
    21