Would you date someone you weren't initially attracted to?

I met a guy recently he is a really nice, sweet, kind person. He's reasonably attractive, not ugly but not really the type I go for. He's a lot skinnier and not as good looking as I'd usually go for. But he's a nice guy.
My problem is I'm attracted to the wrong guys that are usually emotionally unavailable and disappear after the chase. I've not dated a guy for 3 years.
I miss certain aspects of a relationship as most people do and would love to see someone on a casual basis but not in the sense that we are just Fbuddies.
I like this guy and I'm tempted to get involved however I feel he's more invested than me and I don't want to hurt him. What can I say to him that best describes how I feel. I'm rubbish when talking to men...

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I'd date someone I wasn't initially attracted to.

Preferences beyond the gender binary and evolutionary adaptations are for the most part, conditioned. So long as he or she is sufficiently male or female biologically, then attraction can form.

The fact you insist on a physical "type" is what's limiting you from experiencing the true differentiator among us, and that's personality.

With an open mind, that "type" you assume is the only form of specimen you'll accept actually changes.

For me, my preference changed or was superseded by her personality. I'm wise enough to know a "once in a lifetime" type of girl when I see one, and imagining being without her someday feels sad. So I'm all over her, fighting to be with her.

It's ironic because she was not a factor at first and I thought I'd be the one having to push her away. Superficially, people would see this as lopsided because apparently I'm a bit higher on the looks scale, which is a sad reality. Screw it, life sucks too much to let the good people go. She's mine.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should try it. To me there's a difference between a t ype and not being attracted to someone. If I full on didn't find someone attractive then usually I just have platonic feelings for him and can't force myself to have romantic feelings. Guys dont have to ve my type though.

What Guys Said 11

• Yes. I have developed feelings for a girl after not initially being attracted to her. It's happened a number of times, a few for whom I thought that I could never develop feelings of attraction. You never know what will happen.

Don't say anything. Give it a shot. You don't have much to lose and everything to gain. See where it goes. If you start at having this big long talk about where you think things want to go, then you're just going to wind up in his friend zone.

• Depends. Sometimes you just don't "notice" people and it is after you get to know them that the attraction can develop.

• if that "initially weren't attracted too" eventually turned into "major attraction" then sure

• Just tell him what you told us...
    And please if you are not interested... Then DONT LEAD HIM ON

He deserves better

• there's no such thing as a "type". it's just what you're used to.

step out of your comfort zone if you want your life to change.

• Not really... there has to be that initial spark that you get from their appearance.

• Sit down and tell him how you feel, also let him know what you are looking for through the relationship. Because dating isn't to be frivolous pursuits but in seeking to marry this person perhaps.

• I've dated someone I wasn't attracted to in the beginning. It was when she started to show me her personality is when I got attracted to her.

For me personality is so big that a hot girl who is such a bitch is ugly as fuck to me.

• Sounds like a catch

• Why dont you just give it a try, things aren't as bad sometimes as we make them in our head to be

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 0