Dating one of my former students?

I just wanted a few takes on this...

I was a teaching assistant in a first year undergraduate chemistry lab last year at my university and I had around 90 students under my belt. I ran into one of my former students, a girl I definitely liked, just the other day. We sat down and talked for a little bit and throughout I could tell she was into me based on the 30+ second stares, the hair flicking, the dilated pupils, laughing at things I said and just the continuation of the discussion.

Despite this I was not comfortable asking for her number considering she was one of my former students. I sort of changed my mind after and added her on Facebook. She promptly accepted. I then messaged her and she promptly replied.

There is a part of me however that says this is not a good idea. I am 24 and she 20, so I don't think the age gap is too much of an issue however the circumstances are a little leery for me.

What would you think if one of your former teaching assistants started talking to you?

In reality I feel like this one depends solely on looks.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a teaching assistant at my university too. This guy I had been talking to during the summer ended up taking one of my classes and I felt like I was doing something completely wrong whenever I went on a date with him, but I justified it with the fact that we'd been seeing each other before the class started. I was so happy when the class ended though! I say go for it!

What Girls Said 2

• If you were a former teacher then it would be very weird and awkward, but if you were just a teaching assistant then there doesn't seem to be a problem with it. I say if you like her then go for it.

• I see nothing wrong with it. you're no longer teacher/student and you're both of legal age so who cares...

What Guys Said 3

• It is not a problem as long as the relationship did not start when she was your student, and you are in college, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway (many schools would try to make it so).

I have a friend who was teaching a high school senior level math class when he was in college. A couple of years late, his best former student and he ran into each other at a party. They have now been married for 20 years.

• Age is not an issue when it comes to love, but the quality of the person, that is what you should consider.

• That's the thing... she's exactly the type of girl I am looking for. She bragged to me about getting an A- in her calculus class.

• So long as she isn't currently your student, there isn't anything wrong about it.