Would you date someone with a mental illness?

What are your thoughts on dating someone with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder or others?

• I don't think it's a big deal
  • I don't mind but it's not the best
  • I would never
  • It depends on the person
  • Other (please explain)
Mental disorder/personality disorders*

Most Helpful Guy

• This question is always really difficult to answer.

A lot of it really depends on the severity. I feel like judging datability is a sum of all the features of the person, not just one specific area. I wouldn't reject someone just for the sake of having a disorder, but I would reject someone depending on the effects of the disorder... if that makes any sense.

For instance, I am friends with some people who have struggled with depression and anxiety issues. I wouldn't really be able to tell though for the most part unless they mentioned it to me.

Basically, if I imagine the disorder or such to be an obstacle that would drive a wedge between us and make it difficult to progress in a relationship, I don't think I would be able to date them. It'd be a friend zone kind of situation. If I imagine the disorder not severe enough and as something we could overcome in the relationship, then yeah sure-- I'd take a shot.

Most Helpful Girl

• Seeing as I have a mental illness, then yeah, I'd date someone with them. I might have to think twice about it because if their illness will affect me and make mine worse then I'm gonna have to put my health first, y'know? But as long as we didn't make each other ill, then it'd be fine.

What Guys Said 25

• Probably. Depends on the severity, though.
    We all have certain traits that would fall into a category of known "mental illnesses", however only if it becomes detrimental to daily lives, then we can identify it as a a genuine "mental disorder".
    That said, I do have some OCD and ADHD tendencies myself, albeit they don't affect me in any significant way. I'll probably overlook the these attributes, and attributes simlar to these in a potential person I'm dating.
    However, I wouldn't date a person who has a mental illness that affects the general happiness of people in their vicinity 😐

• Come to think of it, I would. Unless if the problem can't be rectified, I would stop dating her

• Depends. A year ago I dated someone who was borderline/histrionic PD.

Would I do it again? A resounding NO. She became extremely clingy very fast. Within 2 weeks of dating she was threatening me with violence if I tried "escaping". She even showed me a bloody dress and said: "That is what happened to the last guy". Her idea of dirty talk was showing me her medications and telling me which ones she would use to drug me. After I peaced it, well she kept harassing me for 3 more months.

Depression and anxiety, if managed, yes. Although I consider girls who talk about depression and anxiety on the first date a BIG RED FLAG.

Cheers -

• yeah why not.

• I wouldn't if I could help it.

• I have a mental illness, so yeah I'd date another person with one. Although if you have one and are wondering how people will view you it's always better to keep it a secret until absolutely necessary or when you've already built up a good relationship.

• It really depends on what it was and how severe it is, mental illness is everything from mild OCD or anxiety to full blown psychosis.

I've had pretty bad depression and I actually had to be honest to a couple of girls I dated that I wasn't ready to see anyone. I could hardly get out of bed and buy shit from the store, let alone maintain a relationship and have a job.

• I'm bipolar so yeah I don't judge

• I have, and it sucked sometimes, but I have anxiety so I understand. I think the most important thing is whether they're willing to work on it and acknoledge that they have these neuroses, and that some of their behaviors are caused by them. If they act like they're right all the time and don't need any help and are not self-aware, then it's probably not going to work.

• Depression depends on severity
    Anxiety depends on severity
    Bipolar HELL NO

• As long as it's not a radical effect on us as a couple I'm totally chill with a disorder.

• Won't make a difference tbh 💁
    If I like/love her then idc !

• It would be hypocritical of me not to, seeing how I'm loonier than a one-dollar coin (which we call a loonie because there's a picture of a loon on it - that's a Canadian joke).

• It depends on the person, the illness, and how they're dealing with it.

• It depends on the severity of the mental illness, I suppose. Although, there are a few mental illnesses that are deal-breakers.

• Such as?

• Such as: Anti-social personality disorder, Down's syndrome, Psychosis... Anything like those illnesses.

• I would, but they can't use it as a crutch

• Honestly I never could.

• Bipolar disorder is a brain disease and not a mental illness

• I did once, no mas ! It was an emotional roller coaster that I got tired of.

• What kind of crazy are we talking about? I'm not trying to get stabbed or anything.

• Of course, why not.

• No. I have no interest in the mentally ill.

• No I am good

• No, it'd be a drag and when/if that time comes, I wouldn't want to pass that on to my kids.

• no, since mental illness doesn't exist.

• All women are like that so, it's not worth it. You either fuck and leave to avoid wasting your time with women or you keep the relationship without giving two shits about her until she breaks up with you.

What Girls Said 16

• in my case, i'm the person with mental illness~ i developed an anxiety disorder in my mid 20s, and there were days that i felt like an unlovable aberration, though my man never stopped loving me.

i'm on meds now, and he's watching to make sure that my personality doesn't change... so far, he says they're working (other than the fact that they make me super-tired and i sleep about 18 hours a day now), which is a welcome relief.

in the past, i've dated people with mental illness, and it didn't bother me. as with any illness, it becomes part of your life, and you adapt accordingly.

• I voted I wouldn't date them. Only because I have a mental disorder. So 2 people with mental problems wouldn't go so well. Since both wouldn't be able to help each other out.

After being with my boyfriend who is normal and thinks logically 24/7. That's helped me to improve with what I struggle with.

So for a person with a mental disorder/illness. It's best to date someone that can help you overcome it as best as you can.

• My mental disorder is a combined of ADHD and ASD (Asperger)

• @Vitdom I know they aren't the same.

Since things that are mental illnesses are things like schizophrenia.

• I have ADHD and OCD and Anger problems as well

• First, anxiety is not like the rest. Unless it's dibilitating anxiety, which is less common.
    Second, I will never date someone with bipolar disorder again. That man royally screwed me up. That was mentally and emotionally abusive.

• I definitely could

• Depends... are we talking illness like "Bitch I'll kill you!" Talking shit crazy or "Bitch I'll kill you!" Covered in blood crazy? I have to way my options here... and think about this really.

• We're all a little Ill in our way so as long as he isn't making mince meat out of people and hiding heads in the freezer.. we're all good.

• I am dating someone with a mental illness. I am a person with a mental illness.

• No I wouldn't. I want someone mentally strong, someone who will lift me up not bring me down.

• My best friend ( boy ) is bipolar, has depression and anxiety problems. I'm like the rock that holds him down to Earth. Even though he has problems and sometimes is a bad person to be next to. He's my best friend and I won't want him to change for me.

• I voted I would never. I just don't see myself being able to handle my bad days AND another person's eternal bad days. I couldn't stand to see someone I care about in pain and not even knowing it like a schizophrenic

• I voted D. It definitely depends on the severity of their illness.

• I have a friend at work who has borderline personality disorder and she really and I mean is hell of a lot of work I mean I find it draining having to walk on eggshells at work to not upset her so I think from my experience I would find it difficult.

• I'm not carrying someone else's baggage with me. Sorry

• It depends on the person and what kind of mental illness. Mild depression and anxiety I would be able to, but I tried dating someone that was bi-polar and I am not able to do that again.

• It's like treading on fire. Even I'm friends with people with these mental disorders (former drug addicts or doing soft drugs), i do get burnt by them so as a result, i keep my distance but i won't discriminate them.

• Yes because I have many mental

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more