What do you think about an open, long distance relationship?

Two people who say they love each other, talk every day, live 10 hours from each other, tag each other in funny posts on the internet, hook up and text other people, only see one another twice a year for two weeks at a time, both in first year of college and involved in fraternities/sororites. will this last, or become anything serious?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well its not serious now why would it be later? From the sound of it your just long distance friends with benefits. Their is no romance in this and from what your saying no commitment so if their is no commitment now their is not going to be commitment later. Plus when you have sex it releases oxytocin in the brain which creates emotional bonds ie the one you have sex with is going to be closer to you emotionally then some one who isn't and the greater your proximity the more your going to attach to that guy. In addition how in any way would this be considered a relationship as you are essentially functioning as if you where single the only difference is what? You have sex with him once or twice a year? In short no everything about this says that it won't last because it doesn't actually exist to begin with (relationship wise).

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't believe it's impossible to make them work, but it is rare that they work out. They are very challenging and extra effort needs to be put into the relationship in order for it to survive. Plus, sacrifices from both people need to be made.

Most people who enter into a long-distance relationship tend to build an illusion of what the person is like and what their life could be like together. Then when they do meet up, their illusion is shattered because they discover the person is not the person who they thought they were.

Love isn't measured by distance , so if two people truly love each other then they will "climb mountains " and "swim oceans " to be together. They will find a way to be together... someday. So it all depends on the strength of their love for each other , and how badly they want to make it work.

Lots of people have successful long-distance relationships , but there's also lots of people who haven't managed to be able to make it work. It takes an emotionally strong person to make it work, because trust issues and insecurities start to develop, which drives them apart. They start feeling envious of people who get to spend time with them.. .. in reality.

I don't believe it could ever work out if the relationship is an "open" relationship

What Guys Said 25

• I think that is destined for failure. The person you are nearer to and having sex with more often will always trump your LDR SO. Just a matter of who you see all the time compared to someone you only see a couple times a year. I think it would be better to just remain internet friends and let each other have separate lives with other people.

• I wouldn't be able to take that "relationship" seriously. Might as well call it long-distance friends with benefits.

• not really. at least in a friends with benefits relationship they'd be having sex with each other, not other people.

• Haha what's the point? Just hook up whenever you guys see each other, but dont try to slap a label on something that doesn't make sense.

• An open relationship is not a relationship and being open makes being long distance practically impossible.

• It's illogical and just doesn't make sense!. There is no point in it

• Doesn't sound very serious to me

• Sounds more a good friendship than a relationship.

• Bad idea, very bad idea

• This is just an advanced friends with benefits relationship.

• sounds pretty good, it depends on what the people have in mind for the future... sometimes what is happening is the relationship, we can have an orange and wish it was an apple and that pisses off the orange because he's sweet, juicy and packed with vitamin c but that's not enough so the orange develop this complex.. apple envy... lol just kidding but it is kinda true don't neglect the orange because the apple might not be what you expect...

• It doesn't seem much of a relationship or to be going somewhere to me, but if everyone involved is OK with it and having a good time... why not?

• Sound fucking retarded. I wouldn't even waste a half a tank of gas traveling to see some girl that's banging other guys, let alone travel for 10 hours...

• I cringe at the phrase "open relationship" in any context...

But you do you.

• that's not even a relationship lol.

• It can last. If you truly mean your love

• Hell no those are lame and pointless and usually don't last.. go local

• And what's the point in that?

• You are like best of chums, there's no romance to speak of.

• It won't last. Its can be enjoyable, an online fling of some kind. But that's all it is.

• it worked for me
    and i would never find someone like her, at first i got these comments from people that it can't be serious, but after dating some girls i knew i can't let her go, she is my same spieces

• Sounds dandy.

• hahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahaa lol
    lmao

• It can become something if you're patient that's the thing with long distance. Patience.

• that's up to you, 2

• I've done these things

they always ended bad

they cheated or left

What Girls Said 25

• You mean... friends?

Open long distance means... nothing. You're not dating. You're not together. You're friends who share sex stories. It's not a relationship.

• That doesn't sound like a real relationship to me. But then again, I've never understood the point of "open" relationships. You can have a long-distance relationship and still be exclusive or just be friends and find someone to have a relationship with who lives closer. I don't see a long distance "open" relationship working out very well. I just know that I couldn't do it. If you think you can though then it's up to you. Whatever works best for you I guess.

• That sounds more like a friendship to me... a no strings attached friendship. When I'm in love with someone I want them and only them and hookup up with someone else is the furthest thing in my mind..

• Doesn't sound serious really or something that would last. After being so used to messing with other people at the same time. I doubt y'all could focus just on each other once you can be together permanently. That's how I see the relationship falling apart. Not being able to handle only having each other.

Though I don't know a lot of info about how much y'all actually care about each other. So who knows could be wrong and the relationship works out.

My reasoning on why that doesn't sound like it will last. I'm in a LDR for over 4 years now. Which there is a huge ocean between us and a 5 hour time difference.

• Open distance relationship only if your okay with a guy seeing other girls when your suppose to be with him. Honestly I would beyond pissed lol! I can't function knowing he has other girls lol! Yes I am jealous shhh! He won't know!

• I feel like it's pointless to slap an "official" label on it, and it seems like you're both trying to make your "relationship" more meaningful than it is. I'd say just stick to like FWBs.

That type of arrangement would be a waste of my time, but if it works for you guys, kudos. I highly doubt it'd become something serious.

• I don't think it will work. Your relationship sound very casual and not like there is much there to build upon. After a few months or so this will slowly die down.

• i see NOTHING good about that at all lmao

• might as well be friends with benefits.

• They sure as hell don't know what love is.

• In the future? Maybe. But obviously one of you will probably have to move or you will have to commit to seeing each other more than twice a year. Long distance is hard but if you're happy with things now I really wouldn't worry :)

• Long distance AND open? Might as well just call each other fuckbuddies that rarely hook up.

• It depends on how serious you are about getting back together in the same place after college and if any of the relationships with people either of you are seeing in the meantime becomes something more serious or not.

• can last, will never be serious

• Well, I don't really see a point to calling it a relationship. He's just your out of town FWBs.

• Everyone to their own on how they want a relationship to be. But in my opinion, this open relationship won't last. Not long term, at least.
    Best wishes

• Pointless.

• Just ride it out! Nobody knows what the future holds.

• It won't work trust issues will get in the way

• it depends upon the bonding between the two persons!!!

• It could last

• No relationships at all, it's like your single , o difference

• no ldr are very fragile.

• No it will not.

• I don't believe in open relationships nor long distance relationships. Don't think they ever work out.