What qualities do you look for in a girlfriend?

What qualities do you look for in a girlfriend? My guy friend was telling me the other day he wanted to date his girlfriend because she was honest, fit in well with his guy friends, supportive of his passions, and shared the same goals. I was really impressed with his positive response.

Is this what all guys look for? Or what do you look for in a girlfriend?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have the perfect wife! And to some degree we have grown together so we each understand each other better. But I will tell you the secret to success!

A man and woman or any combination of partners must have unlimited freedom!

So if the girl wants to say travel around the world she must be able to do that and if the boy say wants to rent a sailboat for a weekend he must have that freedom. Relationship is built on giving your partner everything they need without question. But perhaps more importantly it is critical to know that your boyfriend husband or partner cannot be changed by you they can only change themselves and you should never ever expect them to change no matter what. So if there is something you don't like about your boyfriend don't expect him to change.

Finally of course there is trust. Trust that your partner won't cheat on you and trust that there will be no lies etc. but ultimately trust cannot overshadow freedom for without freedom no one can be happy in any relationship.

• I really like and appreciate what you said here. Sometimes I worry about being held back in life. I want to travel the world and have a successful career and I need to know that he supports me 100%. He says he does but when push comes to shove and it's time to making decisions I wonder where that will leave us. 😔

• @AsianFlower My first marriage was flawed. I thought I trusted her but I had rules. I didn't allow her to be free because she failed me in her freedom by maxing out credit cards and opening accounts in secret. This led to mistrust and more control by me which turned into less freedom for her and ultimate failure. My current marriage there is unlimited trust and freedom. So it will last.

Ultimately you have to take risk. And trust the unknown. Life is full of risk but you must live full of life. Happiness is always a choice, You and you alone must choose to be sad or happy etc. no matter the outcome. Choose to be happy. It's the best way to live.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 63

• kind, intelligent, empathetic, patient, thoughtful, good humored, honest...

those are a few i'm sure i could come up with a long list

• Well, I can say I have standards, and my standards are very high both physical looks and personality standards I have (for the kind of woman I want) are both equally high.

However I also know that I am never going to get what I want. I know that will never happen.

However none of this matters as I have decided to stay single till death!!.

• What do you want so badly that no woman can fulfill?

• @ALittleBlondeGirl.

That's what I said in the end, if you read properly. I don't want anything ( badly), nothing.

I just want to be single forever!.

Yes, I know this doesn't answer your question, I do have my standards but then it's hard to explain and plus it's hard to explain so I'll leave it there.

• Feminine, Confident, gorgeous, active, ambitious, and straight forward to tell me to shut the fuk up if I'm annoying her lol

• and much bench at least 180

• Basically if you look like the girls in magazines your good but if u dont ur not feminin

• @altair212 gotta look like Instagram models, yeah
      Lol

• well first is attraction (looks, body, legs, etc) then its the stats, (str, intelligence, charisma, wisdom, etc) then its the personality (kind, honest, etc)
    and fianlly the skills ( organised, patience, etc)

of course there not really in order but usually its the attraction first before the other 3 but i know that partners usually pair up not because they love them but they also have the skills that they dont have kinda thing, ya kinda looks like a game.

• One that never is a bitch and puts out. Thats the perfect girl.

• A lot in common, confident and not jealous (I won't do jealous), and will let me cum in her mouth. That last one doesn't happen often unfortunately...

• I think a lot of guys want that, but don't look for that in a girl. a lot of guys simply aren't good with women.

Anyways, for me I'm looking for a girl that's
    1. Truly kind to her core.
    2. Caring
    3. Playful/adventurous
    4. Genuinely herself
    5. Just the right amount of kink to match mine : )

• Sounds like a good man, it all depends and what stage you are in life. i married the woman of my dreams and we couldnt be more happy together but dont change yourself for anyone honestly the thing that attracted me most to my wife was how happy and content she was with her own life at the time watching her kick ass at life and smiling everyday made me want to be with her and i can't deny her good looks either ;)

• Non gynocentric, doesn't view her sexuality as more valuable than mine, doesn't view her life as more valuable than mine, isn't psychologically manipulative, would never ask me to marry her and knows I'll never ask her and knows why and is okay with it, would never take my children from me, would never use them as weapons, would never ask for more of me than she gives herself.

And whose vagina doesn't smell like a rotting lemon or a dead animal.

• wow you must have dated a bunch of crappy women.

• @sparkly-crystal But people think I'm fucked up because I want to date 16 to 18 year olds, like "you're too old for that."

They don't understand. It's not about their age -- it's about the generation they're a product of. It's about when they were born. Women who are 16 to 18 today are as nerdy and intellectual as us '80s guys ever were, except now it's cool. You can show feelings that aren't anger and they understand. Women my age don't understand the difference between stoicism and emotional retardation. They think men only experience a reduced set of emotions and anyone who actually feels something complex is a fag. But then they turn around and emotionally retard their own male children -- invalidate their feelings, leave them to cry, tell them to man up, etc.

• @sparkly-crystal The '80s and '90s has nothing to offer BUT really crappy women. Maybe the early '90s, not so much the '97ers and younger.

• That was a wise opinion from your guy :D
    Yeah, honesty, really liking each others characters and enjoy being there for each other in good or bad times. That's really what matters and what you need to build a long term relationship :D

• I like girls who are out going and honest. I like meeting people who like me for me. Looks and interests are cool but what matters more to me is the quality of the person and how they are to others. Some may not have the same interests as me but that really doesn't matter. As long as they are honest with me and aren't playing tricks then I'm happy.

• Compassionate, happy outlook in life and beautiful. That's it really.

• I have my standards personality and looks wise. I wanted a girl with a cute face, and an okay body at least. With personality I wanted a girl who would love me, be able to have good conversations with me, and keep me company whenever needed. What I found was a damn adorable girl with a amazing body and she meets all my criteria and more with personality so, yay c: Sorry for the bragging about her I tend to do that a lot -_-

• someone real, someone listening, someone loving, someone forgiving, someone corrective.

• why forgiving, are you planning to screw up often?

• FOUND THE CHEATER!!

• @thewanderingme No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. A little mistake can set things off, not until you cheat that you make mistake, you make mistakes in your judgement, choice of words, and forgiveness must come in. Think wide and not narrowly.

• Every guy, like every girl, has different things they look for. Do most men look for important personal qualities in their relationships? Of course.

• I personally place her loyalty, as well as her affectionate/nurturing capabilities above everything else.

• I think what we all look for can be different, but at the end you might see a lot of similar qualities that people list here
    Like for example 'caring', we're not so different from you ladies :p

• She's gotta be good looking, clean, funny, and loyal.

• I look for girls who I can easily talk to, where I don't feel like I'm the only reason the conversation is continuing. A girl who can genuinely make me laugh, who's emotions/personality/motivations I can understand and relate to, and cares about the people around her.
    Kindness and generosity are always good, and I personally like more extroverted people; I find them more interesting and fun to hang out with. Also I'd like them to be at least reasonably attractive.

• Someone who is similar to myself but still uniquely their own person, such people are not common.

• Attractive, not annoying, faithful, caring, affectionate, sense of humour, easy going, supportive.

• Wether we are just friends. dating, or in a relationship. Just fucking communicate. I can't read your mind...

• Mainly someone who can have intelligent conversations about things, who is trying to do things with their life that they care about. Laid back without being too submissive. Has at least relatively similar ethical / political values.

I think everyone looks for different qualities, haha.

• The first thing we look for is a look back... then we consider being naked... then we try to make jokes and cause laughter... then we try to get naked for real... then if she is honest and willing to get naked again we have found the right woman... and then...

• Caring, supportive, affectionate, thoughtful, friendly, shy, cute, outgoing, crazy, dependable, trustable. (can you trust a woman though? they say trust a snake, but not a woman!)

• I go for someone who can understand my screw up mind and can pick up on corny jokes. I just wanna have fun. Make a bad day go from bad to good

• Honesty, empathy and some goddamn common sense. We can work from there. It's tough to get to know someone and I really cannot be bothered with bimbos.

• I'm drawn to women who are smart, nerdy, snarky, funny, and caring.

• Open Minded
    An awesome, kickass personality
    Assertive and Dominant
    Healthy mentally and physically
    Shared interests.

• Honesty/loyalty (this is top most important)

How we get along together

Her personality

A little bit of looks... :-)

• More from Guys
    33

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• I believe it differs from guy to guy, just like it differs from girl to girl what they are looking for in their partner.

• When I am looking for a girlfriend, I want someone who is casual, fun to be around, and has shown that she is willing to take steps to change things about herself/the world/her environment that she doesn't like.

• These answers that you're getting, some of them are pretty damn entertaining.

• The same qualities that I look for in a guy

• Guys look for a girl who is a virgin or has had one sex partner, even if he slept with over a 100 women
    Really hot
    Can orgasm in 10 seconds
    Cleans and cooks and waits for him hand and foot