Are your standards for friends the same as your standards for who you'll hookup with, date, and/or enter serious relationships with?

• high standards for everyone I let in my life
  • higher standards for those I get into serious relationships with, go on dates, even just hookup with
  • higher standards for those I get into serious relationships with and date, but not hookup with
  • low standards for all. I'll take what I can get!

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't hook up because I have higher standards then that. All my standards are the same, loyalty being the most important trait followed by many others but yes they are the same whether they are friends or its a relationship. Why would it be different?

• I'm just curious.. though, I have no doubt those who do hookup don't always hold their hookups to the same standards.

• Thanks for the MHO!

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes and no. I like to be around people who are good-hearted, fun, dependable, loyal, intelligent, and all that good stuff, which goes for friends and relationships, but for relationships I'm also taking into account attraction, different views on major issues, ability to spend time with each other, etc.

Whereas with friends, I don't care how the person looks, or if we clash on some major ideas (ex. I could be friends with a super religious person but probably wouldn't date them), or if they live far away or are super busy most of the time, and things like that.

What Guys Said 7

• Well, I will not say anything about the standards that I have for dating and relationship, yes they are there but it doesn't matter because I never want to be in a relationship. Never.

However, yes I do have standards for friendships, and they are quite high and strict as well.

Hence "NO" they are not the same, those are two different situations, yes I have some common points but there are difference in the standards I have for each of them as well.

• For me, the word "standards" are focused on morality and character... and my standards are high for everyone I associate with! 😇

• I have high standards for both friends and girlfriends. I have epilepsy and I discovered that upon having a seizure some of my best friends peed on me and put cigarettes out on my skin. When I gained consciousness they told me that I had done it to myself. Needless to say I cut them out of my life which a difficult thing to do because they were the only friends that I had. I would rather have no friends than shitty ones, but just to clarify I have some really good new friends now :)

• geez, what fucked up people. what made you think they were your "best" friends? and did any of them at least call for help?

• Yes, very fucked up! We were at someone's house having a few drinks and because some people had been taking drugs they decided it was best not to call an ambulance. I was oblivious to all of this and it was only when my brother saw something on facebook that I found out. At the time I thought that we were all great friends, but obviously I was wrong.

I'm not after sympathy, I'm just sharing my experience :D

• I likely would only ask a girl out if I'm attracted to her. But obviously I like to be friends with people no matter how they look.

• standards are about a lot more than looks.

• more than personality too. examples: looks, economic status, intelligence or level of educational achievement, social status, etc

• Don't care about any of that lol

• I believe I have much higher standards towards friends.

• Nope.

• id hope not

What Girls Said 8

• i hold my friends to the same (high) standard that i do the person i'm dating, therefore i do not "hook up".

i'm not referring to looks. but, if you're going to be by (boy/girl) friend, then you need to:

-be intelligent (not necessarily educated, as book smarts =/= street smarts);
    -be compassionate and kind to others (people and animals);
    -be open-minded (i could never be friends with a fundie of any stripe);
    -have a good sense of humour (and not be offended by everything);
    -be respectful (of me, my time, other people, and differing views), and
    -be passionate about something (writing, cars, working with kids... anything).

the difference between an s. o. and a friend is that i have to by physically attracted to the person i'm dating, though i look for the same personality traits in all of them.

-von

• The standards for my friends is the same for those who I would get into a serious relationship with. Because after all, I would want my SO to be a friend to me as well as a lover.

As far as standards go, I guess it's pretty average. I want them to be good human beings with kindness and compassion for others. And similar interests would be good.

• Well my top qualities are loyalty and honesty and trustworthiness. Those are necessary in both the people I consider my friends and those that I date/am interested in. Things are different further down the list for each, but those things are pretty much a must for both. So I guess A is my vote.

• For the most part yes. Obviously I don't need to be physically attracted but I also won't be close friends with people who have a drastically different set of morals. I'll still be civil but we don't need to hang out.

• my standards for the ones i choose to engage in romantic relationships are much higher than those for friends. i do not put nearly as much emphasis on aesthetics when it comes to the latter.

• I voted A, I have high standards for any one in my life.

• For relationships high standard, for friends I don't care, I'll take everyone.
    I don't date and don't hookup

• My standards for a guy is WAY higher than my friendships. I am totally aware that none of my current friendships are truly dependable, legitimate friendships, they're just people I hang with because we have some stuff in common. True friendship is very hard to come by, so in order to keep from getting lonely I settle for acquaintances. I am NOT willing to settle for a guy. A guy I get with HAS to be on my level or higher (mentally, financially, etc.), whereas most of my friends haven't even progressed to my point yet (don't have licenses or jobs or cars, still in school) and it doesn't bother me because again, they're just people I hang with.

Even with the best friends I've had, though I definitely put up with crap from them that I would never put up with a guy. My standards are way lower for friends.