Why do people think drawing is so special?

I draw a lot, but it comes naturally to me ofcourse i had to train it, but it took me a few hours to really perfect my skills, i can also live sketch someone or draw without a reference. I dont think its anything special, at all.. not even a talent. But when people tell me like wooooow you can draw, amazing, draw me and stuff like that... im like... ok its not like i can sing. I am nothing special. And people also think your automatically smart? hahaha far from it. Whats up with people thinking it special?

Most Helpful Guy

• lol I destroyed the other kids in art class when I was in school, even in high school. I usually helped classmates years ago when I studied administration, to make designs for marketing courses. To this day, just very recently, a group of classmates asked me to help them draw for them, for an anatomy class practice.

As someone else said, some people just don't have the ability and often not even the interest in learning how to draw. So yeah, it's quite something to have random gifts such as this one.

Most Helpful Girl

• You're right it is a developed skill that begins as an ability and interest in artistic endeavors. Many people are impressed because they cannot draw a stick man. There is a direct correlation between proficiency in the arts and intellegence so don't down grade yourself in the brains department.

I draw, sketch and have begun water color painting. Water color is a medium which will humble you from the beginning, from my understanding it is one of the most difficult painting mediums to master. There are people who have spent a lifetime learning to paint water color and feel like their own work is just OK. I love it though because it challenges me to learn new techniques and skills with each piece I attempt.

What Guys Said 19

• If I want to draw a straight line, I need a pencil, a straightedge and three attempts.

Having that level of dexterity with ones hands to be able to draw well is very much like having similiarly fine control over ones vocal cords and diaphram and thus being able to sing.

Both reflect innate talent and learned technique.

You dismiss what you possess and exaggerate what others have. That is not an even handed analysis.

• I suck ass at drawing and my handwriting is terrible aswell so to me it's something special if you can make beautiful art and beause it's a form of expression you can also see a bit of the person in the painting and that also makes it nice if you know them. I will never be good at drawing no mater how long I try.

My sister was super good at drawing and I loved her stuff. I told her she should see if she could find a career that involved design or something but she didn't take my advice. I think it's pretty sad that she has such a gift and she just decided not to use it in any way, I don't think she even draws a lot anymore.

I think you should be greatful, a lot of people can only see the things they don't have but don't appreciate the things they do have you shouldn't think it's nothing just because it's easy for you.

• Drawing is an art, its a skill you obtained. Whether through your own interest or through school. It is like anything else people would consider a talent, such as guitar playing or songwriting or sculpting. I would love to be able to draw, but it's not my fist interest. I can draw cats that look like different sized hot dogs glued together, or at least that's my favourite.

• Well when it comes to art what comes naturally for people like you or me some others have simply no talent in at all, so to them what comes so easily for us like painting, drawling or writing they find to be this amazing talent that they themselves do not possess.

• I think it is a gift and a talent. You still put on your jeans one leg at a time like everyone else, but it IS a talent.

• Coming from a fellow natural artist. I think it is dumb that you think it is nothing special. Most people can't draw worth shit, so of course when someone can they will think it is awesome.

I have had to deal with the same thing. People asking me to draw shit all the time, and while most of the time I don't want to, it is still flattering and makes me feel better about myself. Also, a lot of artist are very intelligent people, it is part of creativity. So you are probably smarter than you think.

It is definitely a talent. Just as much as singing if not more so.

Stop viewing it as something stupid and just enjoy it. Also, maybe try turning your talent into a career like I did. I am not a professional artist really, but I am a graphic designer. It is a good job, pays nicely, and I don't dread going to work everyday. I love it actually.

• Not everyone has the same talents, we appreciate things we cannot do or things we are not perfect it. Use it positively.

• drawing IS very much a talent, and as the saying goes,

the talented people make the difficult stuff look effortlessly easy. :)

• Well its interesting to me because I think it's unheard of today that people draw, or have any creative talent. Its quite refreshing to hear that actually. I think the popularity of social media and narcissism in today's society, everyone's so caught up in that, they fail to see the little things in life, personal connecrions relationships, friendships etc. the next thing you know you'd spent another day of life using an electronic, then one day look up and wonder where the time went

• Well I've always been a talented artist, and I know it's uncommon. I also think it is special because it's brought a lot of happiness to my life. Most people, even if trained are not creative artists... I value other artists, because they have similar creative energies. They are familiar to me in a way, and I have a chance to peak into their mind and share in their happiness.

• It's an acquired skill. Singing is also an acquired skill.

• I don't know what's special about drawing.

I usually hold a pencil in my hand, enter into an epileptic seizure, and there !! MASTERPIECE !

• Considering a very low percentage of the population has the absolute fine motor control it takes to even have a chance at drawing well, no matter the hours placed into it, it's a very important talent.

• Same way you will be impressed when someone calculates incredible complex math problems in just some minutes.

• As an artist when you can capture the essence of a person on paper or on canvas while adding your own unique interpretation within that time frame, it transcends the word special.

• art is beautiful in all forms and is a talent it makes people feel and that is very special so to say drawing isn't a talent is a shame

• Combining dexterity with aesthetics well is not easy for humans.

• Be proud and thankful, Do more of it. It is special. I believe there is no born talent or creativity, Anyone interested and enjoy drawing will find a way to have skill like you.

• Stop bragging

• im not bragging, i just dont see it as something special, just a train skilled

What Girls Said 13

• It's because not everyone can draw well, especially with no classes to learn to draw better than a noodle armed person or a stick figure animal. And artistic ability has been linked with intelligence I believe.

• For people who can't draw, it is something special. If you hear someone sing incredibly well, you would also think that their singing is special, or dancing, or any other talent. If we possess a talent we don't think it is that special, but we will think a talent someone else possess is special just because we can't do it.

• It is a talent. I draw or used to anyway until work got in the way. You should feel special about yur abilities. Some people can sing, some can play piano others may be able to throw a football. They are all talents and not everybody has the same abilities or talents so feel good when you are praised for yours and be generous to praise others for theirs.

• Well you could easily say the same about singing, which is ironic because you brought it up as something admirable. Those who are born with talents usually don't think it's anything special because they didn't have to work as hard for it.

• Way to humblebrag. 😑

• Its awesome try it!

• A lot of people can't draw. I get the same thing, and I'm so mediocre, I draw maybe once every few months, it's a talent. No question about it. Yea, you can learn to get better at it, but it's still a skill and talent.

• Because while a lot of people can draw, and a lot are undoubtedly better than you, not EVERYONE can draw.

• hahha are you saying i cant?

• whatdoyou mean better then you? haha i didn't say i was the best

• That there are people in the world who exist or have previously existed that exceed your still growing talents.

• To create an image from your own hands and mind is a miraculous thing :P Not many people can draw really well

• It's an amazing gift and talent. You should know that not many people have an incredible artistic grace like this! 💜

• Yes it is a talent

• Not a lot of people can draw

• i know a lot who can... i think everyone can learn to draw

• Yeap drawing is good for me