Would you date a single mum?

age 21 with 2 year old child

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I would give it a trial run but no expectations it might go the distance.
    Here's the baggage that worries me but each/all could be hurtled:
    > two made a baby, one is gone... someone has decision making retardation, regardless of circumstances details
    > age 19 preg w/o a dedicated legal hubby... someone dies what they want, when they want, if it feels good or I just wanted it that way thinking might do something life changing like this again and whoever's on board either stays for the ride or jumps ship... like the last one?
    > kids must be #1 in caretakers lives, which includes me if in this deal, less time to forge a romance, which usually comes first and once a firm foundation established, begets the idea to bloom love in person form as well. A stormy beginning that often sinks ships, the new guy gets ignored a lot and expected to give, give give to make this work & be smooth sailing.
    > the ex could be a jerk always screwing with anything & everybody, some bring in police actions and other threats that make for sleepless nights IF the baby sleeps at all
    > the family could be angels or root of the previous problem, now my problem
    > her career would be stagnant for awhile until baby care (for this & perhaps others to come), so romantic times that require money = probably out unless I get rich with less sleep, more expenses
    > a bit of worry over the genes in this baby if the dad's family were several generations jerks or sickies

What Guys Said 54

• I have nothing against a single mom. I congratulate her on her strength for doing it, whatever the circumstances are.

But at the same time I would have a hard time dating her for a while and just leading her on because I wasn't sure how serious I was about her. I know she doesn't get much time to get out and so I wouldn't want to waste it if I wasn't at least 75% sure I could see myself with her down the road.

• ... no.

1. I'll never be number 1# in that girl's life, the way I would be if I fell in love with some girl and we decided to have a family.
    2. She's got at least one full time job in the form of her kid. And if she works for a paycheck, that's an additional part time or full time job. No free time.
    3. I don't want to raise another man's kid. Most single mothers seem to be single moms because of really bad choices.
    3.5. If you act like a parent to a single mom's child, she can sue you for child support after a set time period.
    4. What if you date that single mom, get attached to that kid, and things go bad? Then you're leaving and the kid goes,

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...632f6fd2a4.jpg

I think my soul would just die if I ended up in that position.

• yes i would

• 0|0
  • For sure I would and one time I did, she was very sweet so was her two and a half year old daughter.. she even said I was a great diaper changer as I did that as well she liked a lot of qualities I had and I liked the ones she had

• Yes I would.
    I love children.

• Yes, I don't know why but I really want kids.

• Honestly my first reaction was no. But one day if I actually fell in love with someone and she was a single mom I wouldn't care.

• I'd date a single mom if she's near my age and if the father of the child and his mom have zero visiting rights. I don't want to get into complicated problems.

• Only if we connect on all levels and the kids can be adopted as my own if we get married.

• Yes definitely

• Dating a single mother is essentially both a relationship AND an adoption.

• But would you date a single mum?

• That REALLY depends on whether an additional adoption is worth the hassle.

• Fair enough, kids are hard work especially when they aren't your own. If you liked a girl enough then found out she was a single mum would you continue to date her or would it put you off?

• Of course. Does a woman become ugly and boring just because she has a kid lol? I've never dated a single mum coz I was a young guy when I started my last relationship. I will now though. Been single a while and there aren't many women around my age without kids

• If she's 21 with a 2 year old and the father has already cut and run, it means she she got knocked up at 18 and associates herself with dirtbags. I wouldn't go near that type of woman at all.

• Or possibly, she is a widow.

Whether a soldier killed in war, or a driver killed in an auto accident, young men's deaths leave single mothers behind every day.

• don't want kids, but, if i loved her, fine

• Yes I would. 2yr olds aren't really threatened by new men but when they hit about 8 to 10 it's a bit more tricky.

• at my age and never having kids i couldnt truthfully say yes or no because i'm presently married and dont see it changing anytime soon

• Casually? Probably
    Seriously? No

• No!

Been their, done that and had enough.

• Single moms are kind of like hipsters. They haven't done anything wrong really but people don't like them anyways.

• nope. i don´t want a child from a former guy, cause this means the other guy might likly become an issue.

well maybe if she´s like the perfect girl and i fall hard for her... but from my current standpoint, it´s a no.

• No way.

• In short: no.
    I wouldn't even consider it.

Being a single mom at age of 21 tells a lot of negative things about a woman (and her motives), so it's best to stay away from her.

• At that age, I could
    At about age 5 or 6, unless you've been single since he/she was 2-3, it's a no

I don't have time for bitter kids

• No way.

• not seriously. id have sex with her and stuff like that but i wouldn't date to marry.

• I am having the same issue, I really care for this girl, but in my heart I know that she is worth anything that comes my way, but she has put me in a friend zone, and I can work with that, but she is saying she wants to take it slow, so I could use advice from a similar situation

• Last year I put a guy in the friend zone who I knew was interested in me and the honest reasons why I did was 1. I wasn't sexually attracted to him and 2. I was still sleeping with my child's dad. I'm not saying it will be the same for you as all girls are different but that was the case with me. Perhaps she's being careful as doesn't want to get too close/attached to you. It's difficult when children are involved. She may also keep people at arms length (from being treated wrong in the past and avoid it happening again). If you aren't bothered being in the friend zone, play along and hopefully she realised you are the one for her. Good luck 😊

• Yep 💁

• If she was 21, no probably not. If she was my age and had her shit together but was also a really cool person then sure.

• If I was 21 then honestly maybe I'd give it a shot but my intention would never be long term.

• More from Guys
    24

What Girls Said 6

• I'd date a guy with a child but not a 21 year old guy just because I'm so much older. I've had a couple of girlfriends who are about that age and are single moms who have both dated guys seriously. One of them got married last year and they just had another baby together. It does happen.

• Nope I don't want kids.

• I know I wouldn't date a single dad

• Yes, (if i was older obviously.) Babies are cute, as long as they are past the diaper/potty training bit.

• If you genuinely like her and feel up to spending time with the kid then i don't see why not. She must be good in bed at least since she's got something to show for it! Lol

• Nope. Not about the baby drama.