I'm going on a date on Monday with a guy I'm not interested (romantically) in?

There's this guy at work that I'm not physically attracted to, but I think we could be good friends. We talk about a lot of stuff and sometimes go out to lunch.

A few days ago, I was talking to him over the work provided online chatting system, and he asked me to a concert Monday night. I said I wasn't really sure and didn't want to pay the money. I got busy and next thing I knew he sent me a message saying that he bought the ticket and would let me decide later. (At this point I'm pretty sure I said no?).

Yesterday, we were talking over the chat again and he said, "so are we still on for the concert?" Even though I never said yes! But I feel guilty because he paid like $100 for both of the tickets.

Now, I feel like if I go on the date I'm leading him on, but if I don't go he'll have wasted $50 on me.

What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Pay him $50 for the expense of the ticket but don't attend the concert with him.

That makes up for his expenditure while clearly showing to him that you are not interested in him romantically. Further, let him know this was a one time deal. If he surprises you with similiar offers in the future, he'll be on the hook for the whole thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• You won't feel like you're leading someone on, if you tell them the truth.
    Usually, I like to bring the topic up myself to see if we view each other the same or differently.
    I like to say, "So, what do you think about me as a person?" or "Where do you see things going between us?" This is a talk that has to happen, so no one gets the wrong impression.
    Ignoring that talk, and clearly seeing that he LIKES you and you don't feel the same way, is leading him on.
    I think you should go on the date (because the damage is already done at this point), enjoy yourself and then tell him the truth in how you view him.

What Guys Said 1

• "I said I wasn't really sure and didn't want to pay the money."

Well there's your problem, you should have been firm with him from the beginning instead of being kinda wishy washy about it

What Girls Said 1

• I say go, I've heard stories of men persisting wih women and then they turn into that cute old couple who are married for 40+ years. You never know, and if nothing sparks for you he did insist so just after that make it clear you're not interested.