What factors influence a girl or guys 'type'?

Why do we have a 'type'? For me i prfer smaller girls with brown hair and tanned skin but i dont know what influences this? I have read somewhere that men tend to look for traits in a girl that are similar to that of the mothers and women their fathers. Do you think this could be true? if not why do you think we have a type and what influences this?

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend looks nothing like my dad. Personality wise he's got similar values but he's much more introverted and quiet. Similar humour though and both like to work with their hands, though my dad is a trademan by occupation and my boyfriend is in management.

What Girls Said 3

• My type doesn't look anything like my dad.

When I was in first grade I had a crush on a Mexican boy. Since then I've had a thing for darker features.

When I was a sophomore in high school I started to like this guy and since then, a body type similar to his has become what I prefer.

Recently I had a thing with a guy who was mixed; prior to that I never really found black guys attractive but now I do.

I think experience is a big part of it

• I never had a 'type' until I fell in love with my current boyfriend. Now when I see men that resemble him I am immediately attracted. So for me, it took falling madly in love with someone. I think if we ever break up I'll still be drawn to men that look like him. Even so, I do still like all types of men but it's an instant and stronger attraction to guys that are similar to my boyfriend now.

• Well… There are biological factors...

What Guys Said 4

• Well, that basically depends on the standards they have, and the kind of person they themselves are.

It's not always true that men look for women who have traits similar to their mothers, at least I don't believe that and likely I don't believe women look for men who have traits similar to their fathers, no I don't think that's true. Both men and women have their standards set and they go based on that, I believe.

However what you are saying can be true also, so I can't completely deny it, but I won't agree with it either.

• I don't really have a type. I mean I don't want a anorexic or obese girl, but that's because it's very unhealthy and unhealthy is unattractive through nature and nurture really.

I don't look for females who look like my mom. That's weird and kind of gross.

• not look like your mum... have traits like her. Obviously no son would want to be dating a girl that looks exactly like his mother haha.

• Nah I wouldn't want her to have similar traits either. I love my mom but I wouldn't care for her to act like my mom either.

• Too multi-faceted to be traced.

• how she thinks, acts, and believes really matter
    and she has to look decent too me