Would you break up with someone if they were in a bad spot?

If you SO is struggling with anxiety, depression and an eating disorder and does things that they normally wouldn't do and they were in a really bad spot for a few months would you break up with them or help them get better?

• Break up
  • Stay and help
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends. Most people will want to say that they would stay and help. But the only reason anyone does anything is for a benefit. If that benefit that you are providing ceases to exist, there's no reason to stay. You also have to measure self-perception. People will think "What kind of person would I be if I left her, just because she's having a rough time." So that plus how annoying she was, how much I cared about her, I would leave or stay, depending on which action would give the most benefit or the least demerit.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd try and stay with them. I have anxiety myself though so if their mental illnesses start to affect me and make my health worse, then I'm gonna have to look after myself first and if that means at least taking a break from them, I'm gonna have to do that.

What Guys Said 15

• I'll try to help, but if after months trying she doesn't seem to want to get better, and basically I'm the one putting the effort, not her, I will leave her.

• The relationship dynamic changes in this scenario. I would stay and help, but depending on whether or not any this changing over months we may or may not break up. Because it's not a give and take relationship anymore. You become her emotional and mental caretaker and that doesn't work for a happy relationship.

There has to be an end in sight in some way. Even if we broke up. I would still stick around to help, but not as a lover

• I would stay and help, and I have, but they have to make an effort too. If it's been like a year or more and they don't do anything to change their life, then I might not be able to stay... it would depend on how much it affects me though. I've gone through long periods of depression and anxiety in my past, so I understand it. I also understand that nobody but yourself can change it. You have to make an effort to change. If they repeatedly do self-destructive things and then complain about how bad everything is but refuse to try anything different, then I might not be able to deal with that.

• Also by "not stay" I mean not stay in such close contact, but I would try to stay friends.

• I will stay and help, but not to the point that she will take me with her down tne drain. There is a limit where you must understand that you can't help anymore and must distance yourself.

• I'd do my best to stay with her and help but I might end up breaking up with her and try to stay in her life and continue helping her

• I would help them get better. Why would I break up with them? Unless there is no hope for them to get better and she doesn't want me, then I guess I would break up. I definitely don't want to be where I'm not wanted.

• no if i am seeing them than im there because i care for them at least. So i will be there for them until it goes to far and they are not willing to accept help.

• Well these are the situations when someone can prove their worth to you but insecurity can also lead to self rejections.

It depends on their tolerance and how bad it is.

• No not unless it was unbelievably bad.

• Eating disorder is a bit too much...

• Stay and help even if I don't understand the issues at first I put my all into figuring out what is wrong and how to fix it

• Abandon that ship!

• I have depression and anxiety so I would know what to do.

• That doesn't mean you know what t do honestly. I've had it too and I've been in relationships with people who had it at the same time and they weren't necessarily helpful to us.

• Stay and help, break up once its all safely taken care off.

I can't handle the whole gratitude part that usually comes after. Makes me feel awkward in a relationship.

• I tried to help a woman who I was dating, back around 20 years ago. She was so abusive towards me that I had to discontinue any attempt at support. However she probably wanted to be left alone since she treated me that way. She had a pattern of doing that with men, I found out later. But that is just my experience.

What Girls Said 14

• If i was in a relationship with him i would stay and support him. I could never turn my back on someone i love. It's during the worst times of your life and the challenges you face, that you see the true colours of those who say they care about you , so i would use it as an opportunity to show the strength of my love , and prove to him that i will stick by him through bad times too... not just the good times. I would never leave someone i love at a time when they needed me the most.

• I would give the relationship a break so they can put their focus on bettering themselves instead of the relationship.

• I'd be there no matter what. I'm like that with just my friends too. If I have any sort of significant bond with you, I'm there for the good and the bad. Two of my friends have been going through some stuff recently and I'm there for them. It would be the same if I were to be in a relationship

• No thats stupid!

• Depends, some people want help and want to get better. If that's the case, then i'd stay and be supportive. I have a mental disorder that's very severe but I'm trying to get treatment for it, and I'd want them to do the same for me. However, if this person doesn't think they're doing anything wrong and refuses to see the light no matter how many times you try to show it to them, then they need to go.

• Hell no! I would do what ever it took to help them out of the bad spot.

Now if he doesn't show any attempt to change and take my help. Then that will force me to leave after a point.

• Try to help

I've dealt with anxiety issues myself, so... I'd be sympathetic. Besides, love isn't all roses all the time. Gotta stick with the ones you love, at least until it starts affecting your health too.

• If they're destructive towards you, then leave. For example are they blaming you for their actions, are they aggressive with you, mean, belligerent, belittling, etc... are they taking out their problems on you? Are they open to accepting help? If they aren't, they won't be... change comes from within. No one can make you change unless you want to. If they don't want to, then don't waste your time and don't feel like an asshole leaving. It's their own choice. Good luck!

• No, I'd try to help as much as I could.

• No way. It doesn't work.

• negativity plus positivity is always negative.
    I hate to break it to ya

• yes I would still break yp but still stay and help

• I have an anxiety disorder that I manage pretty well and after having a boyfriend who was a total tool about it, I decided to just stop dating. I miss sex, but otherwise life is much less stressful.

• Well, sorry. At my age, I can't let someone drag me down with them. I have enough problems of my own to worry about.

If the relationship was really serious, I would definitely stick around.