He won't ask me out because he doesn't know if it will last?

I've been talking to this guy for half a year, I approached him and he is the sweetest guy I could ask for. We are close friends and he's never had a girlfriend or even a first kiss before me. He's very shy, but we can be ourselves together. After about 3 months, he did admit that he was going to ask me out but an argument we had about a girl he used to have a crush on changed his mind. The argument was dumb and basically me just worrying he'd like her again when they hang out since they're still good friends. She never had feelings for him and didn't even know he liked her. Anyway, I've been trying to get him to ask me out since then. I really, really like him but he just says he likes me to but only wants to date someone if he sees it working in the long run. He tells me there's times he feels it would work and times he feels like it wouldn't. I don't see myself it ever "not working out". I've had two boyfriends before, both between a year and two years long. I feel like it will never happen but he can't tell me yes or no to us ever dating so I feel a little stuck. Any advice or insight to what he feels?

What Guys Said 1

• i know this isn't what you want to hear but you might have to just tell him if he isn't willing to give it a chance you might have to give up on the possibility of a meaning LTR with him

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think you should bother with someone who is uncertain about you. That's just me though.