Guys, Would you ever date a girl with autism?

If a girl was very beautiful and had high-functioning autism, would you be willing to date her? I have Asperger's Syndrome (a high-functioning form of autism) and I am quite attractive (not bragging, it's relevant to the question). I have a pretty good personality. Would you date someone like me?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on how bad the symptoms are and how wild the swings. It would take someone prepared to handle it.

I'd like to say I'd be open but would have to meet the girl. I'm being totally honest here.

Good luck with your challenges. Remember everyone has challenges in life. You are not the only one. Some are harder to see.

You are valuable. You will find someone who treasures you. Keep smiling and I wish you the very best in life. :-)

• Thank you! That's very nice.

What Guys Said 23

• no, i would not.
    I have enough social anxiety issues of my own that i struggle to manage. I do not need to add the complication and stress to my life of someone even more awkward than I am. especially when it is someone who does not even try to get better at social interaction, because they just point to their autism as a "get out of jail free, i don't need to try because i'm mentally ill and that excuses everything" card.
    besides, only about 10% of those who say they have asperger's actually have a diagnosis to back it up. the rest self diagnose and use it as an excuse for their complete inability to act like a normal person, because that is easier than actually trying to figure out the same things the rest of us have to figure out.

does this mean you're faking? no. you could legitimately have autism. but with so many people out there desperate to find some label to assign themselves so that they can proudly declare "I'M NOT NORMAL!!!" I think you should be able to understand why I take the claim with not just a grain, but a heaping pile, of salt.

• Yes mainly because I understand what it is and what challenges you have to overcome. I would be supportive, empathetic and honest and encouraging. I will however have to set boundaries as sometimes with Asperger's you would get frustrated by not having your needs met or being able to fully articulate what you want. I have a couple of friends with this and they are still really cool people. One thing to remember is that with this developmental stage having been missed is that often these people are extremely smart and or gifted. With support and behavioral training these people can and do find love.

• For many boys, esp your age when many are just mean and act like assholes, it would be very hard to find one. That is why the geeks and nerds are the best. They would understand what your issues are and they would treat you best.
    I don't know what qualifies as a geek and nerd nowadays though. In my time, it was anyone that liked computers and tried hard at school.
    The TV show parenthood really showed people what Asperger's is. At least one form. So I think more people know about it then used to.
    Personally, I would date someone that had it.

• In your case, how does the Asperger's manifest itself? I'm curious how you came about realizing this and how you gained insight. When I was your age no one talked about this. I did know a guy when I was a teenager who would definitely be considered to have Asperger's in today's world. He's doing well.

• I personally would have been diagnosed with ASD 4-5 years ago however I can honestly say I wouldn't anymore. I went from not being able to look people in the eye to making sales and negotiating deals. I really changed through high school and my career.

I know this might sound crazy but I actually don't believe in high functioning autism. I never accepted that I might have it and therefore I was able to accept the problems I had without having a disability to "excuse" my behavior. Eye contact was something that can be fixed and now comes natural. I realized talking constantly about special interests drives people away and I focused my energy instead on learning about people through practice. I went from having 0 friends freshman year and being the victim of constant harassment to having a great friend group (full of normal people) my senior year as well as becoming class president.

Honestly, don't think of autism as part of your identity because it in itself is a disability that will continue to affect every part of your life. Think of it as social/personality issues you have that need to be worked on. Once you fix whatever minor issues you have people will be drawn to you and you won't have to identify with autism ever again.

ASD is NOT lifelong so don't let it tell you how to live your life.

• Sure; I have Aspergers', too. We can make super-autistic scientist babies.

• As long as she's not the 'slit your throat while you're sleeping' type of aspie then yeah I would. If her interests line up with mine, then she'd make a brilliant partner.

• I didn't know there was a "slit your throat while your sleeping" type of aspie lol

• Oh wow...

• She was 50% genius 50% batshit crazy. A lot of guys enjoy the challenge of aspies, if you're attractive you'll find willing suitors.

• Yes, because I know how to handle this type of person.

• I don't know what that means in terms of personality so I can't give you a decisive answer. Autism is pretty much just a label when it doesn't come with actual regression in cognitive functions.

• I think I would. Granted, I'd have to know more about autism so I know what I'm dealing with and how to handle it.

• Austic, or just nerdy? The former, no, the latter, yes.

• No literal autism. Not nerdy at all though.

• Sure I'm similar and have anxiety troubles sometimes. I have a girlfriend and we've been making it work and trying to fix our problems. I'm paranoid for good reason at times and post her for insight

• I have an autistic cousin, and even though he can function enough to get noticed by google and wikipedia, man he is hard to deal with and I'm overwhelmingly patient with him.

• Yep, considering I have it

• Yeah I'd pound your poo nanners.

• Are you with Autism's rights?

• Sure I would, I am ASD myself. Maybe I am a bit too old but hypothetically yes.

• totally I love potatoes

• Come up. Let's see. I think there's always connection between men and women that work.

• no.. lol.

• Highly unlikely

• Women i've known with aspergers seemed to do fine dating.

My son has more severe autism. I worry about him when he's older. Well... i worry about him all the time.

• I have Asperger's as well, so maybe I would give it a shot. It might get awkward though

• Haha when two people who both have Asperger's date, it usually involves a lot of awkward conversation because neither one knows what to say lol

• Yeah lol, and there would probably be no eye contact for the first 2 weeks.

But I think if the two people endured the awkwardness for a while then it would be a fruitful relationship eventually