My boyfriend hit me! What do I do?

So I was having a fight with my boyfriend like any normal couple but it escalated quickly and I told him to get out of my apartment and I never wanted to see him again. I don't really remember what happened after that exactly except that he hit me. I kicked him out and he's been texting me and showing up at my door with flowers and presents etc. We haven't broken up but we're not talking. I'm not sure if I should break up with him or give him another chance. help!

oh god. I don't know who to pick as MHO all your opinions are really helpful! thank you guys so much! I can officially say I'm single!

Most Helpful Guy

• You should never be with a man who physically hits you. Never!. If he has done that once, there is every chance he will keep repeating it, the cycle will never stop. The best time to make it stop is right now!.

Hence do what it takes to make this stop!

In fact you are already doing the right thing by removing him from your apartment and not talking to him. The next step I would suggest is officially break up with him once and for all.

Most Helpful Girl

• Heya,
    Sorry to hear that happened to you. I am a strict believer that no one should lay their hands on another person unless for self defence or life threatening situations. You boyfriend was wrong in that manner when he hit you. Not only is it wrong but if you accept his behaviour and invite him back into your life he'll probably do it again. Since that's what abusive assholes do. You have a couple of choices here. Report his ass and leave him. Stay quiet and accept him back (bad choice) or three leave him without reporting him. I can't tell you which is better because you have to choose. But I am repeating myself again.. Laying your hands on someone is never acceptable.
    Take care.

What Guys Said 30

• I have a feeling you are very conflicted. On one hand you could stay with him and take that risk of being hit, or you can run away and choose not to take that risk. No one here will give you that answer, and to most being hit is not ok. But this is a decision you have to make, not anyone else.

• There really shouldn't be any second chances in these cases. Just leave him.

• He'll hit you again. Leave him. Stay away from him.

• On this issue, there are two types of guys:

1. Guys who never become physically violent when they have a disagreement with their SO.

2. Guys who DO become physically violent when they have a disagreement with their SO.

He has proven that he is in the second category. Unless you want to be married to someone in that category, dating those guys is a total waste of your time. . . and potentially dangerous.

This is obviously very dramatic, but think about your mother and father attending your funeral, asking themselves if they spent enough time teaching you to look out for yourself.

• Hmmmm tough call. I say break-up but like "I think we need a break for awhile..." Then, maybe after 2 months, date him again. I doubt you will...

• Why in the world would you want to waste any more time with that garbage when there is 3.5 billion other guys out there? It's like reading a book you hate until the end just in case it gets better.

• that's not like "any normal couple" it's domestic violence and the creeps who get away with it will just escalate into more violence. Get out now

• Yeah, time to leave. That will never get better.

• First things first, correct your grammar.

Your EX-boyfriend hit you. Now what do you do?

• There is nothing normal about fights.

Conflicts are normal. Fights are not.

• Break up with him right now. It's going to be a chain and he's definitely going to do it again. Pls do it now.

• In so many of these questions its up for debate, There's a line and this is over it.
    (I actually made an account so i could comment on this ;)

It would likely happen again in the future. Take some time on your own and then go find someone who actually cares.

• Stay with a woman beater, or leave him.
    Is this really that tough?

• Kick him in the balls twice. HARD. (I'm extremely glad that you left him, no woman should ever be hit.)

• 1. "i dont really remeber what happened after that exactly except he hit me"

this is the answer to if him hitting you was ok or not. if you hit him, i hope you liked the taste of equality.

if a girl went head hunting and i felt threatened, id knock her the fuck out like it was an angry black dude.

at this point it should be over unless you guys take counselling or have some credible intervention.

if you hit him first, you have no right to think its upto you. you're both fucked and even at this point

• I know for sure I did not hit him. there was a lot of yelling and I like threw his stuff outside or something

• thats not acceptable then. he shouldn't be doing this...

ususally this and disrespecting you in public is a sign its over...

• @Vesuvius87 exactly. no one should. period and self defense shouldn't discriminate.

its not even about males or females.

• well.. per your update, its kinda useless for me to answer now :(

• I'd say give him another chance it was most likely an accident that's why some of us guys leave when we get angry we have a hard time controlling our anger sometimes. If this becomes a consistent thing though leave him.

• Break up with him. He'll just hit you again and then you'll be one of those couples who get on Steve Wilkos or something. Don't be a couple who gets on Steve Wilkos because you're being a retard who hasn't ended a to-be abusive relationship.

• you can date Chris brown if you like.

• he is abusive. do not get back with him. call police. guys like that will try to control you and eventually escalate violence. Real men do not hit women.

• To be honest that's messed up I was taught to never hit a woman. I believe in 2nd chances, but if you mess up the 2nd, then it's a wrap and I am moving on.

• Yes break up and tell him to never contact you again or you will file a police report. Once you fogive a guy for hitting you by taking him back it will happen again. at least now your able to walk away no kids yet etc.

• you LEAVE HIM. then you call the cops for assault...

• You should break up with him and learn some kind of martial arts like j-lo from enough
    But yea break up woth him...

• Easy the way violence works is horribleand should never be used iI think you should sit and talk about it

• dump him.. he's an abuser.. it will only get worse if you stay with him

• sign up for karate

• Take pictures of the bruses and call the cops

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 21

• You hit me, I run. Know why? Because you can't trust that if he loses his temper again that it won't happen again.

If he hit you, he's done. Period. I don't accept that shit.

• Both cheating and getting hit would be an absolute deal-breaker to me. If you take a break, only to then take him back you've already told him that getting hit is acceptable behavior. Your choice.

• Both cheating?

• Yes, if a future boyfriend or husband cheats on me or hits me... those are immediate deal-breakers.

• getting cheated on or hit... I see that as black and White, no ifs but excuses for it. It's over right away.

• As my mamá always has told me and as been shown time and time again, if he hit you once, he'll do it again. Leave him!

• Run. Just run. If he loses his temper that easily, then God knows what will happen if you enrage him. He knew what he was doing. It's like cheating, if he hits you once then he'll do it again.

• Id be really pissed off but id still forgive him. If it becomes a consistent thing though, forget it.

• Get the hell out of that relationship chick if he does it once chances are he'll do it again... hope your ok chick x

• If he hit you once, he'll hit you again..

• Do not take him back. Reading your updates, I'm glad you did the right thing! I've been in that situation with family and if they do it once, they will do it again. Private message me if you ever need a friend and want to talk about it ♥

• Break up. There has never been a "romance" where he only hit her once. He will hit you again, and will continue to until he kills you. Don't let your abuser back into your home.

• You know what, I wouldn't give him another chance. Just break up with him. I fear that things will only get worse between you.

• Break up!

• People make big mistakes in anger. One loss of temper does not an abuser make.

It's up to you whether you want to try again. If you do try again, make it clear you won't tolerate that kind of behaviour under even the most extreme circumstances and if it ever happens again he won't get another chance.

Or you could just end it. It depends what constitutes a dealbreaker for you.

• It would not be good for you to get back together with him. If he hit you once, he will do it again. That is not someone you want to be in a long-term relationship with. Stand your ground and don't let him back into your life.

• He'll probably do it again

• Take it to the authorities

• If he still love me & didn't cheat on me, I won't break up with him. " If we don't forgive the one we love we can't find someone we love" cuz people make mistakes, so it Depends on ur break dealer

• Break up now!!! He should never put his hands on you!

• If you have that low respect for yourself and you want him to continue hitting you, sure go ahead and stay with him.

• You should break up with him.

• simple dump him

1 private opinion(s)