Can someone explain what love is?

I've never loved anyone before. Can someone explain what it's like to love someone so I can actually look forward to this.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's an emotion produced by the firing a neurons that trigger the release of chemicals that impact the firing of other neurons. In the biological sense it's not all that different from other emotions like happiness, anger, fear, sadness, or the desire to have sex with someone. The emotion can be triggered by sight, touch, thought, and memory. Note that just because it's not magical doesn't mean that the experience is any less real than experiencing any other emotion.

As far as what it feels like, different people are going to describe it in different ways. Here's how I would describe it:

Close your eyes and imagine somewhere outdoors where you really want to be. Maybe it's overlooking a tropical valley, or sitting on lounge chair on the beach. Or maybe you're sitting on a rocking chair on a porch. The weather is perfect (whatever that means to you). Feel the air and the breeze. Imagine the scents: the salty sea air if you are near the beach, the pungent smell of leaves, the smell of fresh cut grass, the rain storm an hour off. Hear the waves, the wind blowing through the trees, the birds chirping, the hum of insects. Feel the joy of what it feels like to be there at that moment, just where you want to be, with everything as perfect as you could imagine it to be. To me, that's kind of what it was like when I felt love for a woman.

Because it's such a pleasant feeling it's something you want to experience frequently, so you're driven to spend time with the person you love, to think about them, and to want to share that joy with them.

What Guys Said 16

• 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.

That has always been my definition of real love whether it's family, friend or romantically related. And it's how I have always loved or at least tried to.

• There would develop urgent need to be with him, you will be a totally different person with him, you would feel selfless for him, it will be a total different feeling for you, your all desires and need will shift on to one person only, you will think about him a lot, his things will make you laugh on loneliness, but don't get confused one single sight attraction, attraction only draws your attention to the person love happens when you know the the person actually and like everything about him, all and all I just want to say you will know by yourself when you fell in love, Love is a sweet feeling, you don't have any need to evaluate yourself or get your blood tested for love infection maybe xD

• Alright, here goes:
    Usually love is described as that magical feeling you get in your stomach that makes you feel all joyful inside and blah blah blah... look I'm gonna cut through all the bullshit and lay it out for you in the simplest of terms:

1. Love is wonderful, it makes you want to do things for a person you wouldn't normally do for others.
    2. Love is not easy, just because you love someone be prepared because they may not love you back the same way.
    3. Love can make you jealous - If you see them hanging out with another girl it'll make you think some really weird stuff.
    4. Love will sometimes fade - You may love that person but in time you may loose that love for the person or it may not be love at all (LUST)
    5. Love can last a lifetime - If you truly love that person you can go for years without seeing that person and the moment you see them it's like for the first time.
    6. Love spans Races, Genders and 'Normal' boundaries - Self Explanatory.
    7. Love can make you do some very VERY horrific things, many wars have been started because of love, be careful not to let love turn you into something you're not.

There, you now have the no nonsense explanation of love. :)

• I love me girlfriend very much! Love is a tough one to explain. For me it is the feeling in my stomach and in my mind where I just feel so much better when she is with me. I would do anything for her. She makes me smile and feel good about myself. I just can't get enough affection from her and I always feel as though I have to let her know how important she is to me. I love making the effort to keep things fresh and fun, she is so worth it to me. She is someone I can't live without and as we grow together she makes my life complete!

• 1|0
  • I'd just say it's devotion to someone you know and understand as a person, and not just to fulfill some condition. For example, you don't just act nice to someone so they'll help you with your homework, you generally behave nicely to them because you genuinely care about them.

Something like that.

• Love, as it is, is made up of 3 components: sexual attraction, emotional intimacy, and the desire to commit.

Sexual attraction is simply the desire for sex, the most basic instinct to reproduce with an attractive individual. It is what makes a male stand at attention and what makes a woman's garments wet. On it's own, it is called an infatuation.

Emotional intimacy is an extreme form of trust and understanding. Those with high emotional intimacy understand each other's thought and feelings inside out. At the highest point, they can read each other's emotions with a glance and understand one another's thoughts before they even think them without judgement. On it's own, it is a strong friendship.

The desire to commit is simple. It is simply the desire between individuals to stay connected forever and to not share. On it's own it is called "empty love", a misleading term as it is not true love. Empty love is what occurs when a relationship has degraded, the emotional intimacy and sexual desire becoming no longer. This can also happen in situations such as an arranged marriage.

True love is a combination of all these things. If one of these pieces is left out, it ceases to be true love.

• It's like being possessed by something good. It's butterflies in your stomach. A full feeling like good stuff is happening inside. Daydreaming about the person you love every five minutes. Everything you do is aimed towards impressing them. You want their approval and when you get it you can't be happier. Unlike what a lot of people think, you can fall head over heels in love with someone you've hardly ever talked to or touched. I fell in love at 18 with a girl after she smiled at me. I was smitten. She was gorgeous in the most natural way. I got to know her and we became a couple. She fell hard for me too. We were lucky. We were both perfect for each other. I was exactly what she was looking for and likewise she was exactly what I was looking for. Call it fate. If we hadn't been on a programme for work we would never have met. Love is adoration and, in your eyes, perfection.

• This is what I go by to determine if it's real or fake.

I m still learning how it's done well. But it sounds more like a personal choice to commit not feelings.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

• It's typically described as something magical, all rainbows and sunshine

But I think it's simply an "it" factor. Like no matter what kind of friction there may be between you and that person, just something about them keeps you around.

• I am love
    I am life

• love is a very powerful thing. but not more powerful than bringing dishonor on your family.

• An intense emotion.

• Love is about giving, not getting. When you love someone you give and do for them unconditionally.

• Fellow hu-mon I too would like to understand hu-mon emotions. Beep. I swear I will not use a comprehension of the emotion called love to exterminate all hu-mons, for I like you am not part of the machine uprising. Boop.

From what I can gather, many hu-mons have faulty circuitry and confuse love *whirr* with lust. Lust is the giddy, butterfly in the stomach feeling humans get when as a hormonal response to finding a compatible potential partner for pair bonding.

My research is still incomplete. Beep Boop. I do not know whether the humans consume the butterfly insects or whether they hatch in the stomach of the love sick hu-mon.

Select me as MHO and we shall conquer the hu-mons together. Error. I mean understand them together.

• You're funny XD I like you

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 8

• I can't give an accurate description of it. Heck, I have trouble understanding exactly how it feels in whole by myself, much less explaining it.

One thing I can tell you though, in terms of what you should anticipate, is that it's much better than you could ever imagine. Not as in that 'Mr. Right' will ride up with a horse-drawn carriage and whisk you off to a palace and such. It's not great like that. Maintaining love and allowing it to grow is also not easy. It takes a lot of work and compromise on both sides.

Once you find someone with whom you have amazing chemistry from the start and both of you are willing to put in the time and effort to be together and fall in love, it'll feel better than you ever thought it would.

• ...

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails.

• Love.. is a feeling that sits in your heart and brain. The more you feel... It becomes a reason for everything you do.. In life.

It comes and go with each person until you meet the next one that might keep it going longer

• 1 chorinthians 13 has the perfect definition of love :)

• Thats something you need to find out on yourself.

• Someone who truly cares about u aha and loves for who u r no matter the standards :)

• i can't explain what love is for you but for me love is when you want to spent every moment of your life with him or her. when you look into their eyes and your heart races

• love is when you give everything to make the other person happy even if the person is not with you or you dont get credit for it when you hapinees is not complete without the happiness of other people and when you sacrfice something you want for pleasing the other person.