Messaging a guy you don't know on Facebook... is it weird?

So I know this is usually something guys do more to girls than girls do to guys. But would guys think it's weird if a girl they didn't know randomly messaged him (we are fb friends, just don't know each other) and started up a conversation? (And yes, I am attractive if that matters.) I'm not the type to EVER do this, so I'm pretty nervous about it. But from the things I've seen him post he truly seems to be a great guy that I'd like to get to know better.
And just a side note.. two of my friends who are girls have met their boyfriends over a "random" facebook message from a guy they didn't know at all, so I guess it could work! But their guys messaged them first, so I'm worried about it being "weird" coming from a girl first I guess. Have you ever done it before? Success or no?

Also, I have seen him in real life once. Lol I came into his place of work and I thought he looked familiar (and really good looking). I took note of his name tag and then I forgot about him for a while, but added him on fb a few months later..
Just to clarify... it's very obvious that I'm a real person by my facebook profile. Haha, and him and I have mutual friends as well.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's super weird and would never do that. It's way too dangerous.

What Guys Said 11

• Yes, of course that's weird, very weird. However it's a personal choice.

• Usually if that happens I don't open it. I try to find out how they found me, or why they want to be my friend. If I do t knkw them, I don't add them

• If u like him, text him.
    Come on man, ur not sleeping with him... just a text message... go for it

• Haha well I don't like him, I just think he's really attractive and seems like a good guy!
      ... but do I actually tell him that or does that come off as creepy if I don't know the guy? Lol

• Why should it come off as creepy? ur an alpha female who goes for what she wants...
      i would suggest u to stop texting so much... and just tell him... "hey i find u attractive, wana go out for coffee? "... ask him out instead of chit chatting

• No, it would only be weird if you said something weird lol. If you were honest, said I thought I'd message you as I'd like to get to know you better, that would be awesome. Wouldn't you like it?

• Messaging a guy you don't know on Facebook? A little, yes. But if you are looking to get to know him, I suppose it's not too weird. After all, it's the digital version of meeting in person at a 'club', Facebook being the 'club'.

• No. It's just a message. Just flirt and see if he'll suggest a meet-up.

• its not weird its common these days

• No. Not wired. It's just like meeting someone new and start talking.

• It'd be a nice surprise if it happened to me. Just go for it.

• I'd be afraid some fag would be pretending to be a girl.

• I'd suspect it was some guy pretending to be a girl...

What Girls Said 1

• Girl it's not weird at all! I messaged this guy first who I had a FB crush on and now we're going on 2 years strong. :) just go for it!

• That's awesome! I'm glad when I hear success stories haha! What'd you say to him when you first messaged him? I'm just so nervous lol

• Just said "hey, what's up!" And it went from there :) I was incredibly nervous too, but I just psyched myself up a little and went for it.