What should I expect dating a single mom?

I am 26 years old and the woman I have been seeing is 34. She confessed she has a daughter from her previous marriage and since her divorce she hasn't been able to date much. I have never dated a mom before. What should I expect?

Most Helpful Girl

• Good God, all the doom and gloom here...

You can expect to have little to no interaction with the kid for at least a couple of months, since this is a divorced woman most likely the father has them on some weekends, etc. Being older, she won't want you around the kid until she is sure that your relationship has staying power.

You can expect that she isn't looking for a father figure, they already have a dad.

The only downsides may be that she isn't available 24/7. You can expect that you will find ways to work around that.

Geesh. GaG is hilarious.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say that don't do it unless you are ready to take the hate from the child and her father. The dating does not involve just you and her. It will constantly revolve around her kid. Expect flakes, sudden emotional outbursts, angry calls from kid's father maybe and being down on the romantic side. Once a woman has a kid.. That wild side of her starts to fade into her mom side.

What Girls Said 5

• As a fellow Mother, i would expect that she establishes a stable relationship with you (which can take years to build) before she introduces you into her daughters life.
    That's just a wise decision to make.
    I can imagine if I were single, and Introduced my kid to every guy I liked and decided to date.
    He'd be one confused kid.
    I think you should take things day by day... when things get real serious, then think about the role you may potentially have.

• If you are dating the mother you are dating the daughter and expect her to hate you for a while (although there is a chance she won't mind depending on her age and how fresh the divorce is)

• You've gotta be prepared for and understanding of the fact that you will not be her number one priority.

• You should expect for her to put her child before you on all accounts. She may cancel dates because she has to watch her child, she may not want you at her house at first until she is sure she would want you to meet her daughter

• You'll find lots of helpful stuff on Youtube. I have watched videos about this topic all week.

What Guys Said 2

• At this point.. just hang out with her and hook up...
    and after 1-2 years of dating her.. u find she is compatible... then u can think about getting married and stuff..
    but since she has a kid... u have to be careful

• Same as any other woman... just there is a kid she has to take care of.