Ever thought you were in love then come to find out you weren't?

Just wondering how many people have thought they were in love with someone they were dating, then come to find out after saying it or over time that you were never actually in love with them?
How long did it take to realize you didn't actually love them? Did you tell them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Only once.
    It was a confusing time. I thought I loved her after we broke up, but in reality my pride was just damaged. I was going to break up with her, but her birthday came so I waited... then she dumped me just before I could xD. It was the one time I had been dumped so my pride was hurt, but at the time I thought it was heartbreak.

I did really like her as a person. Had a real connection and great conversation. But it wasn't love. I experienced real love before her and after her. You can always tell the difference

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know if it necessarily counts but I thought I was in love with my ex before we dated and I actually fell in love with him. I liked him for a long time and the feelings just got very intense that I thought it was love. But once we actually started dating it took about three months before I realized I was really in love with him, and it came after we got in a silly argument trying to find a day in a busy week to meet up for a date. He was trying so hard to make it work and I was just getting discouraged. Later I thought about how sweet he was for putting in so much effort, and just like that, I burst into tears because I realized that I was in love with him. When they say "when you love somebody, you'll know," they truly mean it! :)

What Guys Said 3

• No it's never happened to me.

• . no.

• No, because what the hell?

What Girls Said 7

• Yes! But I wasn't dating him I was just sleeping with him and I was really happy that I didn't. It would have made the whole thing a lot more difficult, but I just realized maybe a few months after I started to have strong feelings for him.

• Well love is very powerful, so no... but that's only because I know what love is. It's not lust, nor infatuation. A true form of love for example, can be seen by a good, protective mother over her baby... Etc, romantically, the dedication and loyalty is just as powerful for a person who's in love. I feel sorry for people who think love is just those emotions that you're feeling, when it's a lot more than that

• yes I have. love is often confused with lust. you realize only when your feelings sort themselves out. yes you tell them be honest or you may prolong a relationship no one wants

• Hasn't happen to me so far

• Yes I have experienced this it took me about 6 weeks and I told them right away because I don't want to hurt them

• Yes, I have thought that I was in love but it was all a figment of my imagination. I took me a while to realize I didn't love him. For me, I just had to take a step back/'take a break' to realize it. No, I didn't tell him. I just completely started ignoring him. I feel bad now. If I could go back and redo it, I would definitely tell him.

• Teenagers. They confuse love with infatuation.