Girls, is a guy that owns guns a deal breaker?

I own a few guns and I carry. I had a relationship fail because of it. Is it just her, or do a lot of you feel similar.

I have them for collecting/protection.
They are always locked up, and I have the utmost level of safety.
You'd never know I have them unless I told you.

13

Most Helpful Girl

• Not at all, it's the exact opposite for me. I would want my boyfriend to carry and know how to shoot. It's normal to me though. Where I'm from, pretty much everyone owns guns.

What Girls Said 12

• It would be a dealbreaker for me, yes.

• Why?

• I'm English. Even if we ignore that guns aren't exactly legal for us to possess, it's just not part of our culture really. I guess in America possession and carrying of guns is okay because it's much more common but it's a lot more shocking for us and guns carry a hell of a lot more stigma. It's just not something I'd be willing to accept anywhere near me.

• yes 100% deal breaker, i'll be gone with the wind in an instant. you won't even be able to finish your sentence because i'll be gone before then, i'll be like flash; one second i'm a loving girlfriend and the next i'm gathering my stuff and getting the fuck out of there. i'd be like
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSX1SX3UsAAGSTd.jpg

• I don't know, why do you have guns? You don't really need them, one is more than enough. Just sounds suspicious to have guns in your house when they are a rather unnecessary and dangerous thing to have.

• Of you hunt, no. If there's no real reason for having it then yes.

• I grew up around guns and am actually a pretty good shot (my dad says a natural) but I don't really want them in my house. Too many things can go wrong. Why do you have guns?

• Guns are good as long as your sane and know how to handle/clean/etc them.

• That is so cool. Personally, I've got a thing for Assassin's (I'm an action author). It's a turn ON

• Yeah, you're way off base. I'm not an "assassin".

• She asked to see it, so pulled it from the safe and aafety checked it in front of her to assure her that it is in fact safe to handle, abd showed her how to hold it. It's stupid if I don't safety check it or I pull it out in public.

• *safety

• no. It would be a bit much for me if you carried, though. lol I would be scared of you.

• Why?

• Hopeless

• they are.. pity.

• It's a deal breaker for me. Every "responsible" gun owner says the same thing, the guns are locked up, they're safe, etc. and yet deaths related to guns and suicides do happen 100% more often in homes with guns... well, because there are guns in the home. Rather than argue back and forth about it, you're totally welcome to find someone who loves and appreciates your guns. I'm just not that type. I live in a state where guns are everywhere, and I've still never owned one.

• If someone wants to commit suicide, a gun won't increase the risk of that. They'll kill themselves with or without a gun. They'll take all their dad's pills, slit their wrist with a kitchen knife; or maybe gang themselves with a belt.

• its not just suicides. Many a child/teen has found, broken into, played with a gun in the house and wound up dead or accidentally killing another. Many angry people have gone for the gun and killed someone else even without prior mental issues or history of abuse. I would never want to make it easier for someone to kill themselves, or risk the lives of my family and friends having a gun in the house. You are not the only one in the house or that visits and you can't watch everyone all the time. That's just reality. But again, I'm not going to argue a point with someone who loves guns b/c you aren't going to change your mind any more than I will, my own.

• That's why I use the utmost level of safety. I know that means little to you anti-gunners, but I'm the only one that knows the combination to and the location of the safe. I'll never open it in the presence of anyone else. It's as safe as can be.

• Most of the guys I've dated have owned guns (I'm from a rural area), so it's normal to me. If he's obsessed with them or seems excited about getting the chance to "stand his ground" ... That's a red flag.

• I'm not like that. You'd never know I have them unless I told you.

• I'm not a big fan of guns. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it either. If they were locked up safe in your house, that would be better than having one on you.

• Nope, not as long as he is an intelligent gun owner...