How do I get him to give me a chance?

I started hanging out with this guy about 4 months ago. He told me that he's given up on trying to find a woman to love him and he's very depressed when his “Love” life comes up. He's never had a girlfriend and the reason, at least from what he's told me, is Because he used to be fat and no girl wanted him no matter how hard he's tried. But he's really fit now and I really like him a lot. He's fit, loves the same things that I do and we have great chemistry. But every time I try to flirt with him, he backs away and ignores me for awhile or at best, gives me one sentence replies when I text him. When I asked him why he's ignoring me, he tells me that I'm only talking to him to be nice and that I don't really like him at all. Which is not true and I'm pissed off that he thinks I'm like that. How do I get him to give me a chance when he hates himself to the point he thinks everyone hates him and doesn't want him around?

What Guys Said 2

• sit him down and talk some sense in to him

• its tough for him to believe that any girl likes him with true feelings, so i would suggest you to tell him that i really like you and i know that you dont believe it so tell me what can i do to prove it?

• If I try that, he'll just back away again. There has to be a, for the lack of a better word, sneaky way to get him to trust me.

• I'll try. But I heard it's very draining to help someone who's depressed. If he were my long term boyfriend I think I could handle it. But I've only known him for a few month.

• yeah its true what you heard but it could be all worth a shot. and he could be your long term boyfriend after all your struggle with him.

What Girls Said 1

• He's insecure and he thinks that you're not interested in him. He has the impression that you will end up stringing him along. If I were you I wouldn't be that patient with him.
    Anyway, ask him to hang out together.