He hit me? Mistake or a cycle?

I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years we are both 23 and still in love of course just like any couple we get into fights. I am his third love. Howerver few weeks ago our argument was different he slapped me in the face and QUICKLY REGRETTED it. In this three years I've been with him he has never hit me or yelled at me. We never got into an argument like this. I am currently on break with him and he keeps convincing me that he is not the abusive type and that it "just happened" I've even private messaged his ex girlfriends and they all claimed he was never the abusive type nor did he ever lay a violent hand on them. His exes did not feel threatned by him and they broke up for a good reason. What happened was I was driving and I was just zoned out i drove through a stop sign and luckily the car who has the right of way stopped in time, otherwise we would have crashed badly. So I pulled over and we were both shaken and cause of that he slapped me in the face. I know i made a mistake while driving but i still question did he hit me because of fear and that he was just panicked (thats what he keeps trying to tell me and he's very apolegetic) or is it an early sign of a potential abuse? Keep in mind that all his exes have never been abused by him and I've been with him for three years and this is the first time. In your guy's opinion was it just a small mishap? or is this something to keep an eye on? PS were still on break. At the same time i dont want to be that girl that keeps making excuses but I also dont want to throw away 3 years and plus, he has no history of violence or abuse and he only did this once to me... Any helpful advice will do thank you!

Most Helpful Guy

• Since this history is not abusive, I'd go back to him, now! You nearly got both of you seriously injured or killed. Maybe you had a good smack coming. I don't hit women, ever, unless the like it, but I'd sure want to make sure you snapped out of whatever almost got us killed. I'm not defending him. I'm just saying that extreme situations can evoke odd behavior.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would immediately lose interest and all my respect in him. I would break up. It's just too risky. You don't just lose control. He could've hit something else, not you. This is a sign that he has that in him and chances are high that it might happen again. I'm sorry, honey. :(

• You know what you are right! I never thought of it that way he could have hit something else. I had enough time during the break i can't deal with this as a memory so yes im done with this relationship

What Guys Said 1

• sounds like he lost control and it just happened but that being said if it will happen once it will happen again

What Girls Said 3

• Its deff an early sign of abuse. No guy in his right mind would hit his girl expecially for a reason such as that. Yea you made a mistake and a dumb mistake that could of been worse but most guys would get upset and maybe yell a bit and then calm down, you apologize and he forgives you and you move forward. Not hitting.. thats crazy. Just cause he didn't start hitting his Exs doesn't mean he won't start the cycle with you. If you want to forgive him go ahead and give him another chance. Im all giving someone a second chance as long as your life or others arn't in any severe danger and kids are not involved! He made a mistake but if he does it again leave him and dont go back... ever, life is too short... there are too many good guys out there to stick with an abusive one.

• One and DONE. You do not go back to a partner that thinks it's okay to hit you in any situation ever.

• If my boyfriend slapped him, I'd leave him immediately. Sorry, but no man has the right to put his hands on me. I don't care if its just once and I don't care how long we've been together