Why do some people think it's impossible to be involuntarily single?

Or involuntarily a virgin at that, or invuluntarily intimate with a person in general.

I, for one, have been involuntarily a virgin, and involuntarily single my entire life. Every time I go to a family reunion, I always get asked "Why I am single." When I tell my family members it's not by choice, they say "Oh, come on", and some people are shocked, because they know I'm not picky. I agree-I'm probably the least pickiest person I know, but that doesn't mean I'm single by choice. Is it really that hard to believe someone can continuously be rejected by possible dating encounters their entire life?

I'm not just speaking for myself. I see it all over Facebook, internet forums, and it's quite frustrating people think that anyone can just get anyone. For some people, it is significantly difficult to find just one person to be in a relationship with.

Most Helpful Girl

• People who have dates all the time or can get sex whenever they want it will never understand how anyone could be involuntarily single or a virgin, because apparently it comes easy to them. I was single most of my life while I watched my best friend jump from relationship to relationship without seemingly giving two fucks. She never understood, just like I never understood how she could move on so fast, after claiming to love each and every person she dated. I am in a loving relationship now, but this is my first in 8 years.

Most Helpful Guy

• They are being nice and basically saying that you would be a catch for a lot of people.

What Girls Said 4

• Yeah I agree. I'm not sure why people think that, but I'm guessing for them it may be to do with age. The older you get, people might think you're more likely to be suitable 'bait' for someone, if you will, so when you tell them you're involuntarily single, they won't believe you.

• You make a good point here!

However, I've also noticed it's people in their 30's, and older who "can't believe" that someone can be involuntarily single. It could be a generational thing. Maybe older generations were more accepting of others, so they can't understand how it would be possible for someone to constantly be rejected?

• Thanks:)

Yeah exactly, it's as if once you get past your 30's then you're suddenly doomed haha. Quite silly really.
      You're so right, the generational thing plays a factor too since they all got married at like 19 haha. :P

• Yes! YAS!

• I find it harder to be believe when people say they are voluntarily single.

• I believe it when a girl claims to be voluntarily single, since females are typically more picky, but when a guy says it, I find it hard to believe.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 2

• Well in the world we live in, and the mindset and mentality that most people have now a days they just can't believe that someone would voluntarily do that I guess.

• But what if it is IN - VOLUNTARY
      Like they don't want to be single but they are no matter how hard they try

• @RoyalBlueOceans O my mistake I read it wrong, um well sometimes no matter how much someone may want something it doesn't always work out. Maybe it's because they are to shy and have issues communicating or maybe they just have a bad personality, who knows.

• agreed. Life is hard bro. Relationships are even harder!