What is it like to date another race, compared to your own race?

I was wondering how often dating another race still has problems like this in our soceity. If it hasn't brought up any issues at all I would also like to hear about that as well. Have any of you had your family or friends try to shame you for it, or been treated poorly by their family. I have even heard about Asian girls being beaten up in the restroom by white women for trying to steal their men in certain clubs. I doubt that is common, but racism does exist so I suppose it is likely to happen at least some of the time.

If you are from a country other than the united states I would appreciate you saying which country it is, so it gives me better perspective on what each area is like.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've dated black guys all my life so I've seen it all actually. It doesn't help that I'm of Swedish ancestry so I'm very fair. The worse, by far, situation I've been in was a police stop in Memphis where my black boyfriend was handcuffed and searched then detained in the back of a cop car while I was questioned as to whether I was with him of my own volition. He had not committed an offense nor had he been drinking. I felt helpless for him. They let him/us go after 20 minutes of hell. Two days later, the same exact cop pulled me over, I'd had a few glasses of wine, he flirted with me and asked me out on a date. Then followed me home to make sure I made it home safe.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm from Britain and I date an Irish girl. I have been treated as a son by her family and get on well with all of them, been on holidays and spent Christmas with them a couple of times. I can roll with their banter as well as any lad from Donegal.

My family treat her much the same way, in fact my younger cousins think she is an actual fairytale princess. Relatives in Asia however, treat her with contempt, they have stereotypes of white women that they can't get over. Same thing with family friends over here who love to gossip and natter about how xxxxxx's son is courting a white woman, how she's going to take my money, cheat on me while I'm at work, have a career instead of being a housewife all the usual bullshit.

Now, when I've dated my own race... I'm almost always not 'Asian' enough for her family. I respect elders but i don't subscribe to the whole worshipping thing they expect. It usually leads to problems.

What Girls Said 13

• I'm Tunisian, Arab and in a relationship with an Italian /Hispanic American, but it's LDR and we never met so I'm not sure if it counts...
    Neither I or him talked about it to our family. We are still young and we still haven't met.

• Is your family okay with that, or do they not know about him?

• Only my sister knows from my side, and only his brother knows from his side... We don't want it "publicized " for now because everything is unsure

• I'm black/white hispanic #latina and my boyfriend is white and italian. Two different kinds of people and yet we both care about each other a lot. I don't really see much difference, but that is also because I haven't really dated much in my race. I'm not against it, but I don't get asked out by guys in my race or they tend not to like me back. People make jokes about me dating a white guy and I've definitely had some stare at us in public, but I ignore it. Both our families couldn't care less and his parents love me and my parents love him as well.

• I live in Canada. I'm white and dating an Asian guy.
    We haven't really faced any problems related to us being of different ethnic backgrounds. Maybe a bit more attention than we'd get if we were both white or Asian but.. nothing really negative from people in public.

• I think this is a problem that is still around. I was broken up with by a Tibetan boy who I dated for just under a year recently. We had to keep it secret because his parents would not approve of anyone who was not Tibetan and I remember him telling me things his mom would say to him.. Can't remember but it was hurtful to hear. We got caught a few times but they didn't catch on so they ignored that we were dating. I was never shamed by my family because they accepted him. One of the biggest reasons I was broken up with was because this guy knew his mom would never accept me. These relationships are hard because loving a different race should not be considered bad some cultures value other peoples opinions too much I don't know. Just wish people would be more accepting.

• Personally I'm a Latina who has dated both in and out of my race and I have to say its a lot easier to stay within my race because of the prejudice you'll face as well as the differences in culture. More then one mom has sneared and made nasty comments based on my heritage, that kind of thing eventually wears you out and hardens you

• Its weird!

• I've only been in a relationship with a Korean so far but she was so bossy and jealous so it didn't last..

• I've dated black and Asian men. I had a LTR with a black man. My experience was that it is not really different from dating white men.

• I'm black. I've dated out of my race before and it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. My long term was Hispanic and then I briefly dated a white guy who was into extreme workout and fitness. He actually helped me get a nice shape and stay healthy. He was like a best friend. We would get looked at here and there, but we didn't care. We only broke it off because he needed to move away for the marines. I'm now with a mixed guy. He's basically a lighter toned black guy.

• Considering that I have never met anyone else of my particular mix, I wouldn't know.

• Very interesting! I highly recommend it

• I date a white and a Asian guy, no big difference just that's I find the Asian guys is more conservative but that's all

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 8

• I'm black. I've dated a latina woman and white women before. Personality-wise and physically, it's pretty much the same as dealing with any other girl. The difference is their comprehension of your culture. For instance, I had to explain to my white girlfriends that cops may be suspicious of me because of the color of my skin. To them, it was eye-opening that some cops would often pull me over for no reason (just to give one example). With the latina, she educated me about the deep-rooted family structure she had; the Spanish language also all of a sudden became more relevant in my life, something I didn't expect so much.

As far as perception is concerned, I haven't received any blatant discrimination from other people. I lived in Wisconsin and Massachusetts, two places not too known for their regressive ideals, so if people had opinions, they usually kept them to themselves. Surprisingly, most of the stares I received were actually from black women glaring at my girl. Some even tried to flirt with me right in front of her. So disrespectful

• considering it's 2016, not that many people give a fuck and those who have problems with it says more about them than me

• not sure but would like ot date a latin or a black girl at some point if i ever get the chance maybe :)

• Good grief this site is pathetic and anti-white male lol

• Just cultural differences really.

• No idea, pal. I've barely ever dated at all.

• I've dated an Asian in the past wasn't any different from dating a white person

• I'm a human and I once dated a chicken.

It was complicated.