My boyfriend is physically harming himself when we argue?

My boyfriend and I have been dating 8 months and during this period of our relationship he has hit himself like in the face or against the car window. He keeps saying his stupid and apologizes a lot and crys and today he scared me because of something he did and he hit his head with his hand and then against the car window. My boyfriend has history of being in the hospital due to depression I have never really sat down with him to talk about it but from what he has told me he tried ending his life by shooting himself before but was stopped by his brother and even has tried hanging himself. He was taken for care at a hospital but I don't know for how long. I love him and he so sweet and loving towards me. Should I be worried? What should I do? Should I talk to him about it?

Most Helpful Guy

• LISTEN, you do need to talk about this, it's not more of a problem but for that it's something you as his girlfriend should know and understand about him. I would tell your boyfriend that same thing, it's something he needs to let you understand about him, and how you can help him as a person. He obviously has feelings for you and trusts you. It maybe be difficult at first however, it's not something some people can just talk about. It may be easy for him, but prepare to do some convincing. Hitting yourself it just crazy, help him get through it, I'm sure you can.

Most Helpful Girl

• Talk to his parents and then break it off. He's obviously not in a healthy place for a relationship rn.

What Guys Said 12

• Looks like he is seeking sympathy for some reason. I mean how long can you continue being with a boyfriend like this? I would suggest consider your options and consider breaking up because in the long run it will only get worse for you to handle this.

It's just a suggestion, the choice is yours.

• Hit the eject button. You don't want any chance of your future kids to inheriting his fucked-up genes. Protect yourself, protect your progeny, protect the human race, aid evolution.

• well long as it is not you he is hurting you.. let him hurt himself if he wants.. he probably looking for someone to feel sorry for him anyways

• I understand, every time I do something that hurts someone, I hurt myself, and I have thought about suicide before, just be supportive, and love him the best way you can

• Treat him delicately, avoid arguments, he clearly doesn't want to upset the only person he loves. And definitely talk to him about it.

• He needs to get locked up and treated. He's coconuts.

• You need to encourage him to seek professional help for his mental health issues. Two suicide attempts and self harm and emotional outbursts are not things to ignore.

• Yes, you should talk to him about it, but more importantly, he should be in counseling and seeing a doctor if he isn't already. It sounds like he is lashing out at some anger which he has internalized. He can get through this, but he will need help.

• I'd dump his ass
    He's messed up in the head

• professional help is needed for him. be kind to him and give him all of your attention. if he backs off from seeing a psychologist, leave him.

• he needs therapy.

• He has mental issues thats for sure

What Girls Said 3

• Leave this bitch uh uh...
    Don't intervene its none of your business
    He was suicidal and depressed before y'all got together and he'll be suicidal and depressed after u leave him

• Talk to him about it definitely! Tell him how you feel about it.

• you definitely should talk about it because you could be a reason he stays on this earth