Is it right for the girl to always pay for the date?

We've been together 5 years. But at the start he either paid or we paid for ourselves. But the past 3 years, every date has been planned by me and I covered paying both of us. He says it's really old fashioned for the guy to pay. But I'm also making more than him too. I'd just appreciate some equal effort

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, now you know what it's like to be the man of the house. Want more responsibilities?

In any case, if that is an issue, then talk to your significant other. You know. Communicate. It's not hard. Use your words. If you have a problem, then talk to him about it. If you can't even talk to him, then how exactly do you think the relationship is going to last?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a little old school and I prefer the guy to pay if we go out and he can afford to pay. If he can't afford it, but I can then I have no problem paying for both of us.

It may be "old fashioned" for the guy to pay, but this guy is making you the man in the relationship and it sounds like you are resentful. Expecting equal effort is NOT unreasonable and if he doesn't like it then you can keave. I know 5 years is a long time to throw away, but there are plenty of men who will treat you much better

What Guys Said 12

• I agree with him about it being old-fashioned; I believe strongly in equality...
    But clearly this situation you are in isn't an example of equality. Sure, you make more, so it could be tipped a little more towards you, but he should be covering ~45-50% too.

• No! Totally wrong in my opinion. I'm of the "old school" of thought that the man should pay most of, if not all of the time.
    At the VERY least he should be planning dates and picking up the bill SOME of the time. Any less seems like a jackass move.

• Well a woman can pay if she wants too but ideally the man should be one who should pay.

• Both should pay. 50-50, that's how relationships should go.

• No Its not. A 50 50 split is just fine

• take turns

• Now you know how men feel lol

• Wait.. you have been together for five years and haven't worked out a system for this sort of thing? Shoot, a lot of people out there get married by five years.

Time to find as new boyfriend..

• As long as you're fine with it and he isn't really taking you got granted and using you.

• Ahh who cares nowadays.

• No that's pathetic. You need to have a conversation about him making a geuine effort.

• I think it should always be split. I just think it's the most fair way. Nobody should be stuck with the bill the majority of the time.

What Girls Said 9

• You should either split payment or take turns

• Fairness and thoughtfulness are characteristics everyone should possess. If you guys are going out a lot and he's concerned about finances, he should communicate that he would feel more comfortable if you guys managed your 'date budget'. He needs to make an effort to show he cares how you two are spending time together and make an effort to plan. I dated a guy who would always suggest that we get a Red Box movie and ice cream at the grocery store. We would go to free events in town. Both of us planned for our time together and his budgeting practices became our budgeting practices. I loved my time with him.

• Um no... He's gotten cheap and lazy. You need a new man willing to treat you but also allow to do the same in return. It should be equal.

• I dont see anything wrong with going dutch.

• Wow!!!
    This really happens?

• I think the guy should pay for the date most of the time.

• No you shouldn't always pay, it's not fair. There is no reason for him not to pay if he has a job he should pay, it doesn't matter if you make more. I agree with the fact that a guy shouldn't always pay, but this is not that case. It's not being equal

• if your paid more you should pay but I think he's just using you now.

I will never pay for a guy

• I think you guys should just take turns paying for both.