Is it normal for people to lie on their dating profiles?

How do you feel about people who do this?

• Yes, a lot of people lie about things on their profile
  • No, most people are pretty honest on their profile

Most Helpful Guy

• I, personally have strict rules about lying in general, even on a dating profile.

But I've set this to be the reason I've been so wildly unsuccessful in online dating.

My observations say yes, most people do lie on their profiles.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lots of people lie on their profiles. They say they have jobs, when they don't, say they're in school, when they're not. They also say they are single, when they're not!

But that is no reason to justify lying. I am honest on my profile. What you see is what is there.

It's much better to be honest about things, than it is to deceive someone. That being said, you don't need to air your dirty laundry on your profile. Sometimes there are things which are better left to discussing and telling the other person when you are face to face with them. A difficult past, a painful break up, a divorce, or custody battle. Those are things you don't necessarily have to put on a profile, but should definitely discuss with the other person.

Your profile should be a snapshot of who you are as a person. But it doesn't tell the whole story. The whole point is to grab their interest and get people talking. So the best thing to do is highlight all of your positive traits.

Talk about your passions, goals, things you have done in the past, achievements, and any fun facts about yourself.

I always find when people blatantly lie about their lives, it turns me right off. And you can usually tell when you start talking to them.

What Guys Said 8

• Can't vote on this as I have no idea. Seems a stupid thing to do, though, if your out to get a date with someone. Be truthful, then no one will be disappointed!

• Yes people lie all the time and misrepresent themselves a lot.

• normal yes, good no.

• I don't know. I can say I don't though. Maybe I should? lol

• Yes almost all of them lie.

• I said yes but i dont think its right. I think you should be honest and straight forward, especially with yourself. I feel if you dont like it fix it dont lie.(unless you got ten kids , then dont state it)

• It's not lying, it's just making you look better

• Yes most of the people lie on their dating profiles...

What Girls Said 1

• The same way I feel about people who lie on their CVs. It's bound to blow up in ur face eventually.