Is it true that Online Dating is making Men not approach Women directly anymore?

I have a Freind who uses dating sites and he says he doesn't have to approach a girl now.
I know other guys who use these sites and when they see a girl in real life staring/ smiling at them they don't approach regardless.
Is it therefore making guys lazy or is it because they prefer to know a girl is 100% intrested (e. g. texting back) before making effort?
I'm just curious because in my opinion I think it's more to do with the fact that girls are a lot more aggressive nowadays and therefore approach guys and make their intentions known more clearly which makes us expect girls to work now?

Most Helpful Girl

• yeah i totally feel like now a days people are afraid to make the first move in person because you would be approaching a total stranger. where as the advantage of online dating you dont need to put much effort and you get to text the person before you decide to meet. I've debated myself to approach someone in person to ask them out for coffee but was too scared and i felt like i would be too pushy and just scare him away so i didn't. but i regret that now cuz i never saw him again. i think we all need to step up our game and approach people in person. if someone asked me to go for coffee someime i wouldn't mind going.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think for men it is never easy to approach a woman, part of the reason might be due to online dating also.

What Girls Said 1

• Yes I think there is some truth to it. I literally don't know any girl who ever got asked out other than on tinder

What Guys Said 1

• No. Men have always had difficulty approaching women. It's fucking scary. Online Dating is giving men a more fighting chance. Marginal, but still.