Why should a man be taller than a woman in a heterosexual relationship?

Every once in a while I get someone asking me the question "Why dont you date someone taller than you? Its weird!" To be honest I find this quite offensive. I am about 178cm, or 5'10 and my boyfriend is about 175 or 5'9. We have been together for 3 years now and it has never bothered me, what bothers me is that people call me out on it. Why are other women so obsessed with height? Something that also comes up frequently is refusing to date someone under 6 feet. I understand that naturally women should be attracted to the strongest, which in some cases might be the tallest. Opinions on height differences between men and women?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's generally more aesthetically pleasing for others to see a couple with a height differential, they look better 'matched' so to speak. To many people there is just something 'off' about a man shorter than his woman.

People who think like that should keep it to themselves becausd it is indeed rude to question someone like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because some people are stubborn on sticking to societal norms like that. If it makes you feel any better, these are the same kind of people who'd probably have issues with a couple being interracial, as well.

I'm lucky enough to have both forms of disapproval in some with my relationship. My boyfriend is Asian and a bit shorter than me...
    Try to view any hate you get from others, that is completely unwarranted, as more motivation to show them that damn straight you're with your boyfriend instead of them. :P

What Guys Said 15

• Why call you out on it? Your one inch taller than him big woop. Honestly I'm normal highth but I'm always taller than the women I date. I have no idea why most females I meet are simply just shorter than me. Do I like being taller no, because I get to look at the top of their head instead of into their eyes.

• I guess that is a question for women. The majority of women say they want the man to be taller. Every guy I know, including myself, has to have the woman shorter. I would never date a woman my height or taller. But then I am 6' 3" so it has never been an issue. The perfect height range to me is 5' 7" to 5' 11". I refuse to kiss up lol...

• the rules of society lol

• he doesn't have to be but generally men are taller then women so that's just how it goes most of the time.

• I'm 5'3" and I've had stupid comments because obviously most of my girlfriends have been taller than me. I never let it bother me though, fuck em. And since when did tall = strong? Lol there are plenty of 6 foot pussies.

• I don't get it either. I'm 6 foot even, and I've dated women who are taller than me. I never understood why others even care.

• Same story bro xD my ex was 179cm I am 178cm, she always used to tease me but we had a good 8 month long thing :p

• Short guy + taller girl = hugs with boobs in the face. We don't mind but isn't it a bit Aquarius for you?

• should? no, it's nothing but personal preference.

• meh. It's just more attractive for me to date shorter women

• I don't know. I wouldn't mind dating a girl who's taller than me. Height isn't a big deal to me

• It's not so much that a man SHOULD be taller than the woman's but it's more that men grow longer than women and tend to end up taller. That's really it.

• I want my lady to be taller than me and I'm 6'4.

• I don't understand why height is such a big deal to women. I guess height is just something women are commonly sexually attracted to. Or maybe they see his height as a status symbol or something. Typically women claim they don't care, even thought they clearly do, so their lack of honesty has made it impossible for me to understand why it is important to them.

I am average, and still not tall enough for a lot of women much shorter than me. Some of these women are literally 350 pounds and won't consider a guy under 5'10. These unreasonable standards are why many of them stay single. Guys eventually learn that most women care so much about height a lot of guys won't bother approaching taller women anymore.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 7

• I think people should be able to date whoever they want. I'm like 5'2" so a lot of times it's easy for me to find a guy that's taller than me. I would date someone my height though.

• Maybe its a sex thing? IDK!

• i also don't get it. women are always into tall me. here in japan it's really noticible. when interviewed on tv or polled in magazines they always list that as the number one attribute they look for in a man.
    i have never understood why. i'm very picky when it comes to men but height doesn't come to mind. i've dated my height and shorter (i'm 5'2) and i'd do it again. if i date someone it means they're my type.

• They don't HAVE to be. Men are generally taller than women and women generally prefer doods taller than them so it's the norm but it's not a law lol. Tell the people that have a problem w/ it to fuck off

• they're just jealous.. lol

• Honestly the height difference between you and your boyfriend is so minimal that the people commenting are being morons.

• Different people have different preferences