My guy is sad and I feel like I should be fixing it?

My guy is home for uni holidays.
I haven't heard from him much lately and he has been a bit distant.
I stayed at his the last 2 nights but he wants the next 2 to go out with the guys.
He has been feeling sad recently so I hope going out with his friends cheers him up because he hasn't seen them for ages.
I'm just sad that he is sad, worried that it's something to do with me and sad because i want him to be happy when he is with me. I don't know how to cheer him up.
He told me he was sad, he says he doesn't know why. He added x's on his message still. I feel like he wouldn't have shared this with me if it was because of me as he isn't a big sharer.

How can i cheer him up?

Most Helpful Guy

• There's not much you can do. Maybe just do things that seem like fun. I think it's the kind of thing that if you try too hard it still won't work but come across as trying too hard.

Maybe just ask him how school is going. Or how things are going in general. But if he's depressed, it might be general and not about any specific thing. And of course it might not be depression at all, but something else entirely. It might even be something like he's burnt out from school and just kind of worn down.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hopefully he'll be happy again once he sees his friends. It's hard to cheer someone up when you don't know why they're sad. All you can do right now is be there for him and let him know that you're all ears if he wants to talk.

What Guys Said 3

• You can't take responsibility for someone else's mood. You can be supportive but there may be nothing you can do that will make him happy.

• It's not your job to fix it.

The best you can do is to try to understand it.

• x's? what do you mean?

• X's stand for kisses
      O's stand for hugs

Sometimes people will sign messages with XOXOXO
      I have no idea where that came from but it's been used for ages.

• @NearlyNapping what do you do now?

• I'm older than my profile says and I'm mostly retired now. The last thing i worked on was the plasma chambers. I have no idea how they work, I just designed a little part of it.

Well, I'm off to bed. Good talking to you.

What Girls Said 1

• Sounds like an introvert who needs to work things out himself. I would say next time you see him maybe give him something small to show you care (something inexpensive that you know he'll enjoy) and say something like "I know something is wrong, and I know you need to work it out for yiurself, but if you need me, I'm here to help"

And give him as much space as he needs