What do I do if I don't like my boyfriends family?

Ok. So I have been dating this guy and he is really sweet and I recently met his parents and his sisters and they ignored me during dinner and after when we went to a hockey game they ignored me there too. What also really got on my nerves is that his mom is actually mean and judgmental towards him. Nothing he did or said ever seemed good enough. She would basically judge him and embarrass him in front of his girlfriend! I met his grandparents and they are so sweet it seems to be just his parents that are just this way! What do I do? I honestly can see myself spending the rest of my life with this man. Any suggestions on what I can do to deal with these types of situations?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's perfectly fine if you dislike his parents, it's fine to dislike people. You are having the relationship with your boyfriend and not with his family. I think one reason as to why they are doing this is because to me it seems like your boyfriend is not assertive enough, is not mentally strong enough to stand up to his parents. He also seems submissive as a person, I mean to an extent at least.

Hence what you can do is, may be try to give him the strength to be mentally strong and assertive so that his parents will start respecting him more. I am saying this because this kind of treatment, what his parents are doing will only work on those who are weak, so all you can do is support him and be his strength. Eventually he has to stand up to this behavior of his parents, nobody can do that for him.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say go with the flow and follow his lead on how to react to them. He seems like he is getting criticized also

What Guys Said 5

• Just remember you have a relationship with him not his family it would be great if you all got along if they don't like you then thats their problem they can not dectate his feelings if he chooses to let them treat him like that then he has to man up

• This man is 100 right I learned this the hard way
      .. from my old relationship a year ago. and I can honestly say I hate myself for not realizing this before it was top late

• Ask him to chose between his parents and you, and then watch yourself get dumped.

• You should take your boyfriend and get away from his parents. It's fine both of you do not talk to them again. You do not need people like that in your life.

• what's your problem if he has no problem with them? let him deal with them.

• RUN!!!

What Girls Said 0