Who Should Pay on the First Date?

I still think the man should pay if he asks out the woman. We have got a lot of customs and unspoken rules in the dating world. While many things can change about the gender roles and the economy, there are still some values to having those customs in place. If I'm initiating the date and courting the lady I think it's my responsibility.

• who ever asks
  • always split

Most Helpful Girl

• The man should always pay!!! I expect to be treated like a lady.

What Girls Said 10

• It makes me really really uncomfortable to have my stuff paid for, especially by someone that I don't know well. I don't want to feel beholden to anyone. To make myself more comfortable, I like to pay for myself on the first date.

• I would prefer a 50/50 split, or each person paying for what they bought.

• Even if the guy asks me out I always assume we're going to split the bill.

• I always genuinely offer to split the bill but this offends my date. It's nice to be treated, but I don't expect it, and am grateful. :)

• Split the bill, that way nobody is obligated to keep going on dates if it sucks.

• If it's a real first date the person that does the asking should pay

• I think whomever asks should offer to pay. But it's really nice when the guy treats you. Only on the first few dates. After that split or take turns.

• Whoever ask to pay first and splitting up the bill is cool with me also

• I think it's best to split, i wouldn't mind paying though

• men, always

What Guys Said 10

• I'm not going to make a general rule for these things... I'll just answer for myself.

I'm willing and prefer to pay on a date, just the way I was raised and I don't see it changing now. If she feels more comfortable splitting then that's fine too, at least I made the gesture.

• 'Hey do you want to go out on Saturday, I know this great place on the corner of 5th and Wilshire, it's all booked and everything.'

'Sure'

'Right I had mixed grill starter, 3 sodas, fish main and desert, so I'm paying $62.50. You had salad starter, fillet mignon, sparkling water and cheesecake, so you need to pay $65.99.'

'Sorry I forgot to mention this place wasn't cheap...'

It sorta kills the mood 😩

• Whoever asks should pay. What asshole asks someone out on a date and then expects the other person to pay?

• First date, the one who asks, pays. After that, split or take turns.

• generally, i think the person who does the inviting should pay. Of coarse, that will by and large be the guy, since women hardly initiate things with guys

• Girls' egos are usually through the roof, so they don't initiate! :P

• bruu ur name is fucking great!!! mad props

• @Trenbolone123 hah, thanks mate

@aficionado I think it largely has to do with shyness and a fear of rejection. Men suffer this as well, but i generally think women are genetically predisposed to not taking as many risks as men do (and there's an evolutionary basis for this), which is why they generally don't risk getting their ego's bruised by initiating

• Always split the first date. Or better yet, don't even spend money on the first date. Because of how society structures men to be the ones who initiate, it's quite sexist to make the guy's pay because 'he's the one who asked first.'

• lol pretty chicks will pick the guy who they have to spend less money with.

theyll say some bullshit but its true

• Asker payer.

• Asker pays obviously. But if the other insists on splitting, then split.

• Guy should always, unless she wants to pay then I'm fine with that.