How normal is it to have a plan b when in a relationship?

Why do people have back up people if a relationship goes sour? Do most people this? If so why and do those back up plans ever work?

• Normal
  • Abnormal

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted b because I hope it's abnormal.
    But it's probably A. My ex was like that. He said because "you don't leave your job until you've found another one".
    Ewww.

I told him maybe he's had such "bad luck" in his relationships because he can't focus on just one woman. He's too insecure to give himself completely to one person.
    This is how I feel about anyone who has "plan bs". Plan B= plain bs. You need to realize that a relationship, unless specifically stated and agreed upon to be "open" or polyamorous, is about you and your partner. You can't leave them behind. You can't just be selfish anymore. If you don't see that person is for you, then leave them for good.

Most Helpful Guy

• A back-up?
    I don't know who's dumber: Them for being in that relationship, or their back-up for being willing to be a back-up?

http://i.imgur.com/h0heL0t.jpg

• But the back up doesn't always know that they AREa the back up... :/

What Girls Said 15

• I personally find that all stupid to do. If you feel like the relationship isn't going to last long or if you think it's going to go bad then why bother getting into it at all?

• If you have a back up in a relationship you're not really committed to that relationship and shouldn't be there at all.

• Fear of being alone? .. I don't know... Could be many different reasons...
    Not liking to be looked at as the person who was dumped... So rapidly moving onto someone else as if "you're so cool, that didn't hurt look at me over here with someone else 😎👫💃👏💪😛" . .. But really, they are hurt and just wanted to have someone available just in case it didn't work, so no one would see them broken down? ...

Maybe they think they are too old and if it doesn't work out with person 1, they don't feel they have time to waste, so always keeping an eye out for victim 2 lol to capture someone to share their old days with? Haha I don't know 😁😁

• Also... It could mean they are insecure... Very insecure... And or not very much convinced that THAT person is who holds their interest at 100%... ? :/

• I agree with that response! That would be my reason for having plan b in the kind of relationship implied by the question.

• don't care lol! I say its strange!

• Having a plan B means that you have no faith that your relationship will last. Which means you probably shouldn't be in it in the first place.

• Good idea, people often do things that shock their spouse. The current times are unpredictable. Temptation is irrestible.

• i can have back up plans when I'm going on dates but once I'm in a relationship, I'm only with one person.

• Its normal but fcked up in my book.

• people who do that are scummy.

• It better not be normal lmao.
    If I find out my man has a plan b I'm dumping his ass.

• a back up plan would a guy u know?

• Normal in the beginning phases but once you get titles then it's a bit strange.

• It's really common it's just low.

• not normal it's because they don't truly like their girlfriend / boyfriend for have a backup like that

• I think it's normal to have a backup if you don't know for sure if the person is committed to you, especially in the early stages of a relationship

What Guys Said 6

• I think its quite common for women (I recall a survey saying almost 70% of women had a back up guy). But I also think its stupid, if you have a plan b then your not putting your efforts into plan a ie the actual relationship thus dooming it to failure. Its also messed up because its looking at the person like they are a tool something to use until a better model shows up.

• For me it would be normal. My life has been all about plans A-Y not working out. Whenever I put all my hopes in one or even 2 or 3 things, I'm inevitably disappointed. With backups there's at least that sliver of hope that things might work out if not in one way then perhaps another.

• Dishonesty, hence all of those relationships, depending on the number or back-ups, are bound to fail. Good luck with an approach like that.

• I always thought it was normal to have a plan b, even a plan c, and plan f. (By the time you reach plan failure, there isn't much hope left for me.) I mean, what do you do when all else fails? Planning is good in idea, but terrible in practice!

• I don't even have a "plan A".
    Anyway this is very offensive towards those "Plan B" people. Is like saying "Hey, don't worry! Maybe you didn't win the Golden Medal, but second place is still very good though!"

• Nahhh, I don't even have a plan B when I'm dating. I talk to one girl at a time.