Boys, reasons why you'd say "I love you" early in a relationship?

I've been friends with this boy for a year now, but I just (a few weeks ago) told him that I've developed a crush on him. When I told him, he told me that he "loves me to death" and has "liked me as more than a friend forever." We're not even in a relationship now, just talking. Because I like to take things slow. Tonight he asked me if this other girl made me jealous and then said "I know that might be awkward to ask, but I really love you." Then he said I'm the only girl he talks to. I have not started feeling that way about him yet. I take things slow. Really slow. So what would cause a guy to say that so early in a relationship that's not even officially a relationship? I honestly don't believe it's possible that he actually loves me yet. It's too soon. I haven't said it back or anything. But he's the kind of guy that doesn't express his feeling much, and the few times that he has, it's shocked me how serious he is.

Most Helpful Guy

• Inexperience, not knowing what real love is, the excitement of the whole mix of feelings about a girl... It's immature, but then most people under 18 are immature and are stumbling their way through managing feelings and understanding how relationships work.

Translate him saying "I love you to death" into what it really means, which is "I have a really bad crush on you and the fact that you're paying attention to me has me so excited I don't know what to do!"

Don't feel obligated to say that you love him too. You sound a little more ahead of him as far as maturity and knowing how to deal with these things. Don't get mad at him, just understand it's that he doesn't know better, haha.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know, that would freak me out if I was in your position.

What Guys Said 2

• He's had a major crush on you for a long time and has been in love with you from a distance

• You've known each other for a year. It's not too soon. Frankly if you've been good friends, if he didn't feel it yet, he probably never would.

No kidding you like to take things slow. Known each other for a year, he's already in love with you, and you don't want to rush past 'talking'.

Yeah, that's pretty slow.

What Girls Said 0