Is this a dumb reason to reject a woman?

I was sitting in Starbucks at my college. This somewhat attractive woman started a conversation with me and she seemed nice until I had to turn her down. She pulled out a St. Louis Blues hat and put it on. I immediately told her "I don't date and don't want to be friends with a fan of a team I hate." She said told me that's a petty reason to reject a person and I told her I can choose not to date or be friends with anyone for any reason. She rolled her eyes and walked off. I know we can reject someone for whatever we don't like, but I was petty and mean to this girl?

Most Helpful Girl

• ... That.. That's a bit much man. Yes, I understand you hate her team with a passion, but what if you continued to talk to her and who knows maybe ended up dating. Every time her team loses you get to rub it in her face for a good few days then let it be.

• You know I tried to ignore it... But I just couldn't because it's one of my deal breakers for a reason.

• Well, I don't know what else to tell you bro. But I will ask this; Do you even want to remove this as a dealbreaker? Or do you want to let every PYT pass you by over a team you dont like? That's like Kim K divorcing Kanye because she found out he bought himself a car and didn't ask if she wanted one too.

Most Helpful Guy

• Women reject men for reasons a lot stupider so who cares?

What Girls Said 16

• Well, it is pretty minor, it doesn't seem like something to reject someone over but hey, not too big a deal.

• nah! haha! u like what you like!

• Eh. If that's your passion, it's your choice.

• Lololol

• (smiling)
    Your reasons don't have to make sense to anyone but you.

If you don't regret it, why worry about it though?

• Yeah kinda...

• Super petty.

• Absolutely you were petty and mean. I know your team is important to you, however her interest in a team can be her own personal thing. That's not reason to not associate with her at all. Sports are just games at the end of the day, real life human interaction is what makes life count and she may have been an amazing person and you wouldn't give her a chance over something really dumb. It may even be fun to date a rival team fan because you could poke fun at each other and be competitive

• I prefer dating a woman who has the same interest in me and likes the same sports teams. I feel we'd get along better.

• Sure, you have your own reasons and whatnot, but are your reasons REASONABLE?
    I'm not saying explain how this is reasonable to me right now, I'm saying you also had the responsibility to EXPLAIN your reasonable reasons to her.

• I just didn't want any issues. Sometimes a lot of drama can be caused dating a rival fan. I want to date someone I get along with.

• Exactly that.
      Now that's reasonable. Could have reasonably stated it that way as well.

• I tried to say it that way but she was getting so emotional about it.

• yup... it's dump and you're grumpy. chill up man.
    but obviously she's not that attractive eh?

• Yes you kinda were mean and a bad reason not to talk to someone

• ... You gone messed up man! Yes that was petty of you and your stupid.

• That's dumb. You rejected her because of a sports team?

• I've rejected many women because of it. I feel it would cause conflict and I don't want that. It's a deal breaker for a reason.

• Thats a dumb reason to reject someone. I reject people based on attitude, the vibe they give, if they are violent.. things like that.

• That escalated quickly.

• Yeah that's pretty petty. If you had overlooked that one insignificant factor you might have really hit it off with her but now you'll never know. Good for her I guess since she knows when to walk away.

What Guys Said 18

• Yes, it was indeed a silly reason to reject a woman. I mean it's fine if you don't like the team but how is that related to the person you want to date? I mean likes and dislikes are personal choices, just because she likes the team you hate doesn't mean she will be incompatible with you or will not turn out to be a loyal girlfriend if you got into a relationship with her.

Just because she is a fan of some team you hate and you rejected her that was indeed a silly reason to reject a woman.

However that's fine, you have your reasons and you did what you believed was right.

• We all have our deal breakers, however that seems very trivial, unless she did so out of spite but from what you said it wasn't spiteful, maybe try to find something more serious to consider a deal breaker. Nothing wrong with sports team loyalty, hell I've seen Jews and protestants get married before too, maybe you could be a little more open to find out why she liked the sports team. I think you jumped the gun and had an emotional reaction kind of in the neighborhood of what would my buddies think if I dated a rival fan from another team sort of thing.

• I'm completely indifferent towards professional sports so I can't relate but I guess it makes sense if its something you're really passionate that it would be a deal breaker if your passion/beliefs are incompatible.

• While I don't understand that passion for a sports team. If it's the type of hate where you would get into a fight, with a fan of the opposing team. Then it makes complete sense and isn't petty in your case.

• it's hockey. who gives a shit?

• How naive are you people?

This guy just trolled TF out of all of you

• It's actually true dude. I don't troll.

• That is nothing.
    Once I saw in news that a Qwuaiti woman divorsed her husband because she didn't like the way he squeesed the toothpaste.

• My opinion is that yes, that is a stupid, petty reason to reject someone. Hmm, in this case, it sounds honest yet mean. It is your choice to reject anyone though.

• No regrets brah.

• Yeah, especially since sports are stupid.

• Haha thats stupid of you man :-D

• Dunno. I would say so. I think every reason could justifiably be a dumb reason to reject someone. In this case, I think this was a stupid reason.

• Yeah that's immature.

• In the words of Red Forman... YOU DUMBASS!

• If you really liked her than it wouldn't matter.

• Yea, that's pretty stupid.

• Although you had a valid point about picking & choosing who you want to date or be friends with your response was not only petty but quite frankly disrespectful I don't know you could of said it in a polite respectable way soften the blow

• No you could fall out because of that. It is nowhere near as bad and petty s women who reject because of looks or disability.