What does "I love you" imply in a relationship?

I understand "i care about you" "i adore you" "i hate you" "you're sexy" but WTF does "i love you" imply?

what aspects of the relationship does "i love you" change?

Most Helpful Guy

• "I love you" means very little. You need to know the person well enough to determine how they use the terms. Some guys mean nothing more than I'm DTF you. Other guys mean they would sacrifice everything to make you happy.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends, when l said l love you genuinely l memt that the guy made me happy, and l can see a future with him. It meant that i would stay with him till l grow old, l felt like he was a part of me. The last guy that told me he loved me said it because he wanted me to be a more submissive girlfriend, who he has sex with whenever he pleases. He was being manipulative. People say it for diff reasons, they will express ot in their actions

• thank u for sharing :) so it changes depending on the person

• Yes, with age and wisdom you will be able to differentiate between genuine l love you's and he is full of shit l love you's

• Thank you

What Guys Said 22

• on the first date, I'd say run:)
    2nd date - he's trying to manipulate you
    a ways in after you know each other and he says it so it seems true, it means he is into you and I'd view it as he's committed to you
    Wedding - he has to say that and he loves you right then. he has no idea what he's signing up for... Columbus sailing across the ocean kinda thing.
    20 years into it - that is serious, he knows you and still loves you.. he's sticking with you.
    50yrs into it - he's an idiot to still be loving you... he knows all your flaws;) that's amazing, accept your good graces
    80hrs in - That's so sweet!

• To me it says 'love w/o expectations, happiness in hers and sadness in hers, let her be free to flower and grow as her heart desires, prune what has to but by her own hands AND will not by yours'

• in my opinion, "i love you" is like.. more than just let's bang, it's I'll cancel my birthday plans to go spoon feed you soup until you get better kinda thing.

• It doesn't change much. Many people know they love the person they are with before they even say it.
    When I say "I love you" to a SO, it means that I can see myself marrying her in the future. It doesn't mean I'm going to get on one knee that very moment.

• I love you means,
    I care for you and I'll be there for you always...
    I hate you, but still I'll be there for you because I care for you...

I love you can be said at any moment of any relationship when you feel the most comfortable with the one...

And no, it doesn't change the equations of relationship if both the person are mature enough to understand this meaning of love...

• It means that a person has much more than just lust feelings towards a person it means you actually care about them and that you require no other.

• I love you usually implies a romantic or close, familiar notion of love. I guess that depends on the people involved on what aspects change in a relationship.

• how was it said?

• not a personal question, just in general. what does it change in a relationship after it's said?

• oh okay.

well, if it's serious, it means that they are 100% into you, and it should be self-explanatory after that. in a general sense.

• Love is a subjective term and means different things to different people

One might ask: "What is love?"

…baby don't hurt me

• It means u love the person enough to go through crap

• God! Overthinking much? You understand "I hate you" right? Now imagine it's opposite.

• To me "I love you" means exactly what it says, It means that i am committed to you and only you. I have literally said that twice in my entire life to two different women. That should give you an idea on how careful i am with it.

• so it holds a lot of weight with you, but if u don't say "i love you" that means u aren't committed to the person?

• Not necessarily not committed but just not in love. Dont get me wrong here i stick to one woman at a time period, weather or not i use the l word.

• Well it doesn't mean you aren't committed as the opinion owner mentioned, he wouldn't have got to the stage of saying it to those two girls without first being with him in a commitment with the hopes (perhaps) of eventually loving that person (or not and leaving). Love develops.

• I love you means that there are deeper feelings and that the person would probably want to spend his life with you.

• depends on the context and if it was said or typed.

• I love you can be said in many ways. what was the context=

• Really? It means that you are an important person to them and have feelings for them.

• Means they hate your face and you smell weird.

• Love is a feeling and it can't be described by word.

• Just words. Fluffy words

• What is love = Baby don't hurt me

• it's the same as 'i adore you' since the meaning of these two words are pretty much the same.

• if you don't know, than you must be incapable of "love" :/

• if you don't know how to answer it then that means you haven't experienced it either.

• I've experienced it all the time, problem is (with you girls) you never love us guys back because you don't desire us guys in the first place

What Girls Said 2

• It means that the bond in the relationship is viewed, at least by one party, as more profound and deep than a casual infatuation. Or, so I would assume.

• Many things.