Does needing space mean breaking up?

So the last time I saw my boyfriend was 1.5 weeks ago. He told me last night that he wanted some space until Tuesday where I am going to his house (I'm on Uni break) and we will spend 6 days together. Usually we spend 2-3 days a week together and other days text/call sometimes, not much though. He said he was upset at how some of his friends whom he ditched have not responded when he messaged to apologise and I'm scared it's a girl or an ex that he wants to get in contact with?

So is something fishy going on? When we spoke last night it was great and we ended it on a happy note. And he doesn't really text/call anyone besides me.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not necessarily. It might just mean you need time alone to think and consider, because right now the emotions around whatever issue are just too heavy and time alone will make it easier to process.

Now after that person has come to a decision, that decision might be to break up. But that's no guarantee. It does happen however. Personally, I've had relationships where I do wish I took some space before making a decision. Because I didn't fully think it out and later regretted (somewhat) my decision.

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't overthink it too much. He has some issues that he wants to face alone. He will tell you when he wants to, it's best to not force it out of him. Give him time, and just enjoy the time you guys spend together during those 6 days. You don't want to give him anymore stress on top of him already feeling unwell. Keep yourself busy, do some hobbies, just relax. It doesn't hurt to give him small messages and tell him that you miss him or that you're thinking about him. Small simple messages mean a lot.

• Thanks so much! Have u had a similar experience where ur partner said he needed space and how long does it take him to contact u?

• Oh of course it happens. But we talk within a couple of days. Usually it's just us wanting a bit of space because we stress each other out when we communicate. It happens

What Guys Said 6

• In my experience whenever I've heard that, it's been the case but I wouldn't take what I say as gospel.

Just give him the space that he wants for a few days and then check in on him and see how's doing and all that and see what happens from there.

• So from ur experience needing space means breaking up? :( omgggggg that sucks but he said he'll see me Tuesday :/

• Well that's what has happened with me but as I said do not take what I say as gospel meaning what happened with me won't necessarily happen with you. So do not freak out about it ok? just give him the space he wants and then when you meet on Tuesday see how he's feeling and if he's alright etc and if there is anything wrong fix it.

• No, not necessarily. However sometimes that can lead to breakups.

• I agree but im not speaking from experience though but I heard usually happens

• he's about to be with your for 6 days straight... that means no alone time for him for 6 days...

he's compensating for that... you're fine.

• no, needing space simply means needing a bit of time to breathe and reflect... not a definitive

• Usually it does but many guys will leave things open for a back burner girl.

• I think in this case, It's really mean breaking up.

What Girls Said 12

• My first instinct was 'another girl' too. But it could just be his mates are pissed that he's ditched them to spend time with u so he feels he should hang with them for a bit. But either way 'Don't come over for a week and a half' sounds fishy doesn't it? Like couldn't u just go over for an hour or two instead of a few days. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet but if this becomes a regular occurance then maybe u need to start asking questions.

• "Needing space" is usually the beginning of the end of a relationship. Space just distances two people.

• Needing space dont always necessarily mean break up. Sometimes, its just giving eachother time to away to think things through and decide if they really can make it work etc. However, I've heard some people have 1 yr breaks and to me thats a joke because by a yr I wouldve already moved on.

• Not necessarily

• A guy either wants to be in a relationship or he doesn't. The way he calls it "taking some space" rather than just telling you he is busy and can't hang out for a few days suggests to me he finds you too needy but doesn't want to break up with you because he finds some benefit to keeping you around. If it doesn't exactly mean he is breaking up with you, it most certainly means its going to end sooner or later when finds someone he likes more or just doesn't find you worth the effort

• I think it means more of a break like he needs to time to figure out if he wants to continue the relationship with you.

• I don't think it means breaking up exactly but from my experience we took a few days break and then when we got 'back together' it wasn't the same and we kinda stopped talking as much and he used school as a distraction/excuse and I kinda just stopped trying and wouldn't initiate conversation or ask to hang out or anything. so be careful with the break. it could work and everything be amazing after or it could change feelings and end up being a break up.

• Hmmm sounds a bit weird. Are you sure he meant a break? I don't understand why he would want to have a break with you just because of that. I would be worried if I were you.

• Most of the times yes

• No, be could be going through personal stuff and not want you to catch him in a crabby mood

• If someone tells me they need space I'm dumping them

• Everyone needs space once in a while. If you talked last night and it was great, everything should still be good. If he has standing plans to see you for 6 days straight and hasn't canceled them, he probably doesn't want to break up.