Is this legal in Canada?

so I like these two brothers, and they both like me, we've talked about all three of us being in a relationship so I'd be their girlfriend but obviously they wouldn't date each other cause well their brothers haha but I really want to know, is it legal in Canada to have two boyfriends and eventually two husbands? Or if having two husbands is illegal then would it be legal to have a husband and then the other brother be my boyfriend or common law? I'm just really curious about this and we have talked about it so we're all on board and would have no problems doing something like this, but we want it to be legal also!

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless I'm very mistaken, the government cannot and will not stop you from being in any type of relationship as long as all people involved are consenting adults. Polyamory is not illegal. The government doesn't care who your boyfriend (or boyfriends) is or what your relationship status is in the sense that the government isn't out to police your love life. What they care about is your status for tax purposes. Being married or being in a common law relationship has certain implications for tax and legal purposes.

As far I know, polyandry isn't legal in this country. You can't marry two people. That doesn't mean the cops are going to bust down your door because you fell for two dudes. It means the government won't acknowledge you as married and you don't get the benefits associated with it.

It may count as a common law relationship if you all live together for long enough. If it does, it might make any paperwork you have to do complicated. I just did my taxes and I didn't see any spaces to fill in for multiple partners. It's something you might want to ask other poly people about. Maybe try the subreddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/polyamory

Most Helpful Girl

• The polygamy laws in Canada are one of the strictest in North America. It is "illegal" to marry multiple people, and in some cases it is illegal to have multiple sexual relationships.

BUT... there's really no way for them to find out, unless you actually try to marry both of them. It has nothing to do with the moral aspect, and more about people being untruthful to gain benefits from an invalid marriage. So long as you don't take legal action (or you don't end up arguing in a way where they would expose you), I don't see how they would be able to charge you with anything.

What Guys Said 12

• Nobody is going to bring you to court for cheating on your husband (or cuckolding him).

• Looks like you won the loser hunt.

• Your first problem is that you live in Canada...

• Canada is consider 1 or 2 every yr by many sources as the best country to live in the world. It's Canada and Germany on top. You Americans are low on the scale of a lot of things like education health. It's true Americans are ignorant as fuck. There's and reason why Donald trumps says make America great again. After Clinton it became a shit hole

• @somethingoingon the fast food here in the US is shitty, here are actually proper plates a Tim Horton's

• Polygamy is still illegal here. Sorry

• Firstly that's fucked up.

Secondly no you can't marry two people.

Whwt a fucking mess.

-fellow Canadian.

• It would be like reverse polygamy

• This is funny

• fuck the law anyway, you dont have to marry them
    my advice
    get a lawyer to give you a free consolation they usually will
    ask them plainly
    if you just date both of them or marry one and keep the other can you be liable for jail etc or sued by either of them

get the lawyer to help you draft some prenup papers in the long term, you'll have to pay of course but it's whatever

alternatively get advice from a college prof or a masters level prof at any reputable school, they are very open to hearing about strange things like this (speaking from experience)

if you're too shy about it though , to really dig for the real answer, you will probably be liable for something somewhere

• That is not legal.

• Well you can dates as many guys as you want at the same time lol
    Getting married no that's called bigamy and that's not legal anywhere but you could be married to one and be with both just can't be married to both.
    Watch the show sister wives.

• You guys are into some funky stuff sign me up

• Well sounds like you found yourself a couple of losers. Marrying them both would not be legal in Canada but there's nothing to prevent you from dating both. But of course the only possible guys that would be into such a thing would have to be tremendous losers.

What Girls Said 3

• two HUSBANDS no, having a polyamorous relationship- yes. You can have a husband and a boyfriend yes.

• You can have all the boyfriends you want. More then one husband is illegal though.

• Good Lord.

• this is our generation...

• Sure...

• what's hilarious is how i hear all about how the bible has no leg to stand on, yet, you've already stated, they give the bible a few legs everyday!