Would you date someone who's Bipolar?

From what I've read, so I can be wrong here, Bipolar is when one day you're full of energy and you're really happy! Then the next day, you're very depressed and feel like no one wants you around. That everyone wishes that you were dead. This lasts for a day or two, then you get all happy again the next day as if nothing happened.

This is what I go through but I'm not sure if it's me being Bipolar. So correct me if I'm wrong.

• Yes.
  • No.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, that's not an accurate definition of bipolar disorder.
    Bipolar is characterised by manic and depressive episodes. Manic ones last for at least a week, and if untreated, usually go for 3-6 months. Mania includes some or all of the following: inability to sleep, unintelligible or rapid speech, excessively risky behaviour, increased money expenditure, and a few others that I can't quite remember right now. These symptoms must impact on work and/or social interactions.
    Depressive episodes include anxiety, feelings of hopelessness and anger, fatigue, suicidal thoughts, sleep disturbances, and others. These last at least 2 weeks, and if untreated, can last for more than 6 months.

As for whether I'd date a person with bipolar disorder... yes, if they were seeking treatment and maintaining their illness. Otherwise, no.

Most Helpful Guy

• your wrong, iv'e been bipolar and its not like what you explained, its like for 1 second your the most happiest person on the planet and the next second your the most depressed person.

• In bipolar disorder, the minimum time for a manic episode is a week, and 2 weeks for a depressive episode. Not 'like for 1 second'.

• @GingerBear does this counts in a bipolar symptom? that somedays i feel excited and happy for no reason at all, and some days i feel very depressed and sad, and can't enjoy anything at all.

• @GingerBear my everyday routine is the same, but somedays i enjoy my same routine very much and somedays im sad and depressed as hell and can't seem to enjoy anything that i used to before.

What Girls Said 5

• Hell naw.

• If you have bipolar and you're medicated, then you essentially don't have it (which is the whole point of medication). As long as they are medicated there is no reason not to date them.

• Haaaa I'm totally bipolar so I would hope so guys.

• Yes, I would.

• Yes, but it would be difficult. My auntie has bi polar and so did my grandmother, and my Mum's told me stories about caring for them. There were some really hard times. But if I loved the guy then absolutely yes. The guy i'm in love with has depression and it's never made me not want to be with him, if he had bi polar it'd be the same deal. We'd work through it

What Guys Said 5

• Yes i would. I've been diagnosed and do believe in mental illness however I think part of the reason many people don't take mental health seriously is because to one person bipolar is being depressed then really happy but another person with bipolar has got the shakes and is in and out of psychiatric hospitals on the brink of suicide. In my opinion mental illness does exist but I would think that misdiagnoses are extremely common and the illnesses themselves seem rather ambiguous :/

• No and hell no.
    Bipolar is a diagnosable psychiatric condition.
    It is caused by a problem in the brain chemistry and is genetic.
    I would not want that gene in my children, so there would be no point to exploring a relationship via dating.

• I would not.

• Hot girl that is bipolar
    Ugly girl that is not bipolar

I will choose the hot bipolar girl.

• I can see myself a bit in your description. Yes I would