How do you deal with first date anxiety?

I'm 19 and for the first time i've got a date, the only problem is that i have TERRIBLE anxiety and tbh i don't even know why he likes me. Is there any tips or tricks that you guys know to help me cope with the anxious feelings of going on a first date? thanks :D

Most Helpful Guy

• I went on my first date in years and years recently and the night before I tried to talk her out of it, by saying that I'm way fatter than my pictures show etc. When she walked out and I saw her in the flesh my heart sank, she was tall and so beautiful and I'm so small and fat I resemble a square. I felt uncomfortable and ashamed for her the entire time we were together (and on subsequent dates), it felt like one of those scenarios when you see a guy and girl together and you immediately think "he's got money!" and that's a pretty fucking shitty way to feel about yourself. Needless to say this level of insecurity and self-doubt was too much for her and she understandably ended it. There's no magic cure for anxiety, but please just remember that he's there, with you, because he WANTS to be there with you for no other reason than he likes you. That's something I forgot. It's something I regret. Good luck!

• aww, i hate that you should feel like that just because of the way society views love, there is no "good enough"s you like who you like.

and this is relatable because I'm tall and he's small, i'm pretty curvy and he's pretty skinny, i'm tan, he's white. it seems like a weird mix but i also feel like "why does he like me, is he after something else" because no one has liked me before

• [not to big myself up or anything] but i think i can be a bit scary to approach, i'm quiet and pretty serious and don't share my emotions with other people. true and if he does have ulterior motives i'm just going to have to tell him thats not how i roll and i don't want my time wasted. i guess the worst thing that could happen is us not getting along and not speaking again :/ and it'd probably be for the best so

• That's pretty much my personality is too. Until someone special breaks me then I'm an emotional wreck lol The best way to approach this is to try (easier said than done right?) and not over think it. His motives, honourable or otherwise will become clear in time, in the meanwhile give him the benefit of the doubt and allow yourself to be vulnerable enough to feel wanted. Take a small leap of faith and I hope he catches you

Most Helpful Girl

• to just not think about it much. or to go out with friends before the date. or have a long chat with someone before hand... that really calms the nerves down for me

What Guys Said 3

• Breath in for 7 seconds and out for 11 seconds any time you feel anxious do it deeply.

• I'm almost 40 and still have date anxiety.

But honestly, I masturbate (not kidding) before hand so I'm nice calm and relaxed, and the nervousness is worked out.

• Yank one out before you go on your date it is sure to ease your anxiety

• yank one out of my non existent penis

• Try it or flick the bean

What Girls Said 0